Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know ya'll probably get this every other day and I apologize for asking yet again.

I have a choice of going with a 2014 JK or JKU in either Rubicon or Sport. Right off the bat it's going to get a 2 3/4 or 3" suspension lift. Not settled on the lift yet but it will include new shocks. Going to go with new wheels and 35" tires as it will mostly be used on weekends and around town after work(have a company truck for the work week). I spend a lot of time outdoors hunting and going to government owned parks, which is mainly why I'm looking at a JK. I'd like to do some entry level rock crawling but I doubt this thing will ever really see a crazy rock crawling trail.

Should I spend the $34k on the rubi and the upgrades it has over the sport or use the roughly 3-4K in difference for upgrades to the sport? I don't care about the nav screens, the power windows, etc, etc....... I do like the fact the Rubicon has the power sway bar disconnect but at the same time, you read about the electronics going out on these often. So is the upgraded dana drive train and lower gearing worth the cash difference? I'm thinking if it's going to cost me as much to upgrade the drive train later on to what the Rubicon has already why not get it like that from the factory?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You'll put way more than 3-4k into a Sport to get what you get with the Rubi. Dana $$ up front, electric lockers front and rear, 4:1 ratio transfer case, plus some other convenience upgrades you pay more for or can't get on the sport.

That being said, if you are sure you don't need those upgrades (no rocks, mild trails, etc.) get the Sport and use the money for lift, tires, bumpers, etc. Sports are capable machines but if you think you want to do some more serious off-roading, get the Rubicon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll put way more than 3-4k into a Sport to get what you get with the Rubi. Dana $$ up front, electric lockers front and rear, 4:1 ratio transfer case, plus some other convenience upgrades you pay more for or can't get on the sport.

That being said, if you are sure you don't need those upgrades (no rocks, mild trails, etc.) get the Sport and use the money for lift, tires, bumpers, etc. Sports are capable machines but if you think you want to do some more serious off-roading, get the Rubicon.
That's what I needed to know. A local dealer has a JKU Rubicon right at $34,000 in the color I like and I can probably get them to come down a little bit more too. I just wasn't sure how much in off-roading additions the Rubicon had in it $ wise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts