Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about replacing my factory hardtop for awhile; was originally considering getting one of the hardtop/fastback options from DV8 or Wild Boar.

The other day I was driving around and saw a setup that looked really, really functional and awesome; unfortunately I didn't get a picture. Basically it looked similar to a JKU half-cab conversion, except that:

• The cargo area was covered (tailgate height) rather than like a truck bed. Looked like a waterproof cargo security cover, like a slipstream, aries, or tuffy.
  • There appeared to be a waterproof, fitted, hard cab cover that extended down from the roof (where the rear angle rollbars meet the horizontal rollbars, just behind the rear seats) down the the cargo security cover. I didn't get a close enough look, I suppose it could have been soft (like a Bestop Windjammer), but it appears to be hard and weatherproof. I haven't been able to find anything like this at all.
  • The rear angled rollbars also appeared to have some kind of modifications to them; I assumed it was some kind of bolt on molded furniture. It looked like they had rivited styling (like this, with exposed bolts up and down, likely just for looks).

The whole setup looked form fitted, secure, and waterproof; like you could leave it out in the rain without worrying about water getting in. It seems like this would be an amazing setup, highly versatile while still being waterproof and secure. The lost space from the upper rear is essentially unusable anyway; I don't stack things that high in the back (can't see out the rear if you do).

I sketched a crappy mockup of what I thought I saw/what I'm looking for an attached it. Anyone know of anything like this or have any ideas/suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check out pictures of the jeep backbone security deck, and rear windshield.. Windshield is soft not hard, but this might be what you saw.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
This has been an on going topic from several here at the forum including myself. The basic idea or concept is for one to use a wind jammer/wind stopper rear window. But due to current designs the only company that actually manufactures a 4 door rear window is JeepBackBone. However, OffRoadHeros has it's own design which looks more form fitting, but according to others here at the forum.. the OffRoadHero version is very had to get a hold of. This all but takes care of the rear window unless someone else creates a new design.

The common bond between the above products is that these are fabric rear windows.. if one is looking for something a bit more reliable.. then you may have to turn to Gr8tops version which uses a hard shell hard top and incorporated a hard shell rear window. But the rear sports bars would have to be removed/cut away.

As for the deck lid or cargo cover.. several options are available to you. As stated above.. the JeepBackBone is merely one option. There's the Tuffy Products version and the Aries version (which is what we'll be using) However, I have discovered a 4th version which I've yet to be able to pin down.. It appears to be build very similar to the Aries version but has some sort of extended uprights as to allow for storage via these upright connection points.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just bought and installed the Backbone, love it so far.. very clean looking, easy install, quality engineered product..

Full disclosure, I also recently became aware of another option: Slipstream by Diabolical.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
However, I have discovered a 4th version which I've yet to be able to pin down.. It appears to be build very similar to the Aries version but has some sort of extended uprights as to allow for storage via these upright connection points.
What's that fourth product you've discovered?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I emailed Diabolical, Aries, Backbone and GR8TOPS to see if any of them know of anything that will work with their products to provide this type of solution or if any of them are planning to make a product like this in the future; waiting to see what they say.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Hey @nfarrar been there done that, none have clearly assured me that they are going to make anything remotely similar to this. As I said the issue is the rear window and it's placement right behind the second row seats and before the bend int eh sports bars at the back of the cargo area. Some tough angles. Though at last report, Jeepbackbone CEO told me that the 2 door rear window would work on the 4 door, but modifications would be needed.

Check out what was said here by others and myself about how to added or alter this design:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/any-info-on-mastertop-brand-2020025.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts