Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. My 2009 JKU will randomly shut down while driving. Little to no warning. It may take 8-10 tries or it may take 20-30 tries before it will restart. It cranks and sounds like it want to start, but doesn't. Then when it does restart, it drives like nothing is wrong. No check engine light comes on. Had the dealer check it, no codes. Thoughts? My were either the fuel pump or Crankshaft sensor. Also, the windshield wipers come on when trying to restart. At my wits end. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
125 Posts
My guess would be the ECM. While this should throw a code in most cases the windshield wipers going on, and the trouble with the start are both possible clues you may have an ECM problem. I'm no mechanic by any means, but by what I have read in this and other forums that would be a good starting point. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dash lights seem normal, at least I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I hadn't thought of the ECM, I just hate to start throwing parts at it hoping one hits, but that may be the only option. Of course it never acts up when my mechanic is available. He had it for two days, ran great.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey bullsprig82 not sure if I may have given you bad advice as after reading some more I'm a little confused about an ECM vs. a PCM in a wrangler. I've read in older jeeps the PCM will cause a stall at highway speeds with no warning or codes being thrown, but in jk's it's the ECM. Hey man sorry if I caused you some confusion but see if anyone else jumps in who is better at wrenching on their jeep.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Might have something to do with the clockspring. I tried to find some specific examples, but ran out of time. Google "Jeep Clockspring Issues" and see if anything sounds familiar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had something similar happen to me. My wiring harness was rubbing on the oil dipstick and was shorting out a wire. In my case it was blowing a fuse I believe #19 labeled ASD (Auto Shut Down), Jeep would just stop and could crank all day long an no start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No problem artfuentes, I am trying to get any possible reasons before I start swapping things out. For some reason I am leaning towards a fuel pump, any others have one go bad with similar symptoms?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts