Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had asked this earlier in a not very related thread but thought it warranted its own posting: How does the JKU handle evasive maneuvers at highway speeds (75 or so mph)? For example, turning to avoid something fallen off a truck in front of you; or avoiding the bimbo on the phone swerving into your lane? I am thinking of getting a '12 JKU (either Rubicon or Sahara) and do a lot of highway driving in San Diego County and surrounding areas. The JKU would be my only vehicle so I would need it to be able to do everything pretty well. I had an '05 Xterra that was downright scary in emergency highway maneuvers (happened once or twice).

Also, how does the JKU handle strong crosswinds at highway speed?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Depends on the driver--nothing wrong with the way my '06 Xterra/'08JKUR handles when swerving--

Any vehicle not built for the track/race-ie-Corvettes/Porsches/etc-will be subject to evasive action-ya gotta drivem

The JKU is affected by crosswinds, but not evasive manuevers-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
363 Posts
That doesn't sound promising.

Any SUV is going to SUCK at evasive maneuvers, if it's driven like a car. The vehicle can handle the maneuvers fine, it's the driver that needs to change his/her driving habits.

Know your vehicle, and know it's limits. Then drive accordingly. A front tire blow out on a lifted Jeep is completely different from the same thing happening on a Honda civic.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I have driven in an Xterra but never drove one, saying that, I doubt the JKU will do any better then the Xterra on road. It will out maneuver it off road though. We are talking about a straight axle vehicle(brick) here.

Miss the days of San Diego and LA highway driving. I would never fib :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
It's a legitimate, reasonably safe, street-legal vehicle. Thus, it satisfies whatever minimum standards may apply.

That said, it's not a Porsche. It will do no better than an xterra. If you need to feel capable of pulling off speed bike type maneuvers at 70+ mph, get something else.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
You gotta be smart in any setting where things like bimbos and falling freight can be present.

Allow greater following distance, eyes on the road, 10 and 2, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think those of you who gave the OP crap about this post are being unkind. This is a reasonable, honest question. A fair question that I cannot answer because I while I have had two Grand Cherokees, I am not a Wrangler owner.

I had the occasion to get into a spin in my Toyota Celica. Lost it due to crappy shocks. Changed my pants, then the shocks.

Hopefully someone here with driving experience in a Wrangler can answer your question.

Paul

·
Registered
363 Posts
I think those of you who gave the OP crap about this post are being unkind. This is a reasonable, honest question. A fair question that I cannot answer because I while I have had two Grand Cherokees, I am not a Wrangler owner.

I had the occasion to get into a spin in my Toyota Celica. Lost it due to crappy shocks. Changed my pants, then the shocks.

Hopefully someone here with driving experience in a Wrangler can answer your question.

Paul
He got some pretty honest answers.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had asked this earlier in a not very related thread but thought it warranted its own posting: How does the JKU handle evasive maneuvers at highway speeds (75 or so mph)? For example, turning to avoid something fallen off a truck in front of you; or avoiding the bimbo on the phone swerving into your lane? I am thinking of getting a '12 JKU (either Rubicon or Sahara) and do a lot of highway driving in San Diego County and surrounding areas. The JKU would be my only vehicle so I would need it to be able to do everything pretty well. I had an '05 Xterra that was downright scary in emergency highway maneuvers (happened once or twice).

Also, how does the JKU handle strong crosswinds at highway speed?

Thanks very much.
The only problem I see is you do a lot of highway driving. The Wrangler is going to handle about the same as your Xterra if you jerk the wheel at speed. Crosswinds didn't bother me as much as I thought they might. About the same as a pickup or minivan. Although the Wrangler can handle highway driving just fine, it would be a very poor choice for a highway daily driver. After about 60mph the aero drag really starts to kill mpg and the faster you go the worse it gets. I wouldn't trade my jku for anything, but I would buy a 2nd vehicle if I had to drive on the highway a lot.

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
Sometimes turning into my driveway feels like an evasive maneuver.
:rofl:
I tested my 09 Sahara at 75 - 80 mph one time. It's a little noisy with the top off, but if didn't surprise me for its behavior. I agree with the other posters here, but ever since I got my Jeep I don't feel I'm in a hurry on the road - I just enjoy the drive (very similar to the feeling I get when riding my motorcycle). If I want to burn a new lane in the road, I'll take my gf's JCW Mini out... handles like a go-kart on steroids... But I still don't drive so close to the person in front of me that I can see what radio station they're listening to...

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling:

:whistling: Depends on the driver--nothing wrong with the way my '06 Xterra/'08JKUR handles when swerving--

Any vehicle not built for the track/race-ie-Corvettes/Porsches/etc-will be subject to evasive action-ya gotta drivem

The JKU is affected by crosswinds, but not evasive manuevers-

I have driven in an Xterra but never drove one, saying that, I doubt the JKU will do any better then the Xterra on road. It will out maneuver it off road though. We are talking about a straight axle vehicle(brick) here.

Miss the days of San Diego and LA highway driving. I would never fib :rolleyes:
Suspension is the key, My JKUR, is still prone to crosswind effect, but less than my Xterra was

It's a legitimate, reasonably safe, street-legal vehicle. Thus, it satisfies whatever minimum standards may apply.

That said, it's not a Porsche. It will do no better than an xterra. If you need to feel capable of pulling off speed bike type maneuvers at 70+ mph, get something else.
Heh Heh--right off the top

Sometimes turning into my driveway feels like an evasive maneuver.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Having the stronger coil springs and GOOD shocks, will help hiwy driving A LOT, but you still gotta DRIVEIT--

It's not prone to rollovers like the Explorers, but you'll need an element of awareness !!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts