Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, recently I’ve been having starting issues with my used 2014 JKU I’ve been unable to solve the problem which started a few days ago, it consists of me turning the key to start the jeep then hearing just a single click. While the key is in the ACC position the electrical system seems perfectly fine then I turn the key to the “on” position I guess, and everything starts flickering and just recently it’s began to just shut off. While I haven’t been able to solve the issue I’ve noticed a few things that may be the problem but I’m no mechanic, first the terminals are somewhat loose and second like I said the Jeep is used I think the previous owner installed an iDatalink system of some sort. Hoping someone can help as I really don’t wanna have to bring it to the dealer. Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
86,902 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I had a similar issue. Your first point of attack should be the battery terminals and posts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar issue. Your first point of attack should be the battery terminals and posts.
Hey guys, recently I’ve been having starting issues with my used 2014 JKU I’ve been unable to solve the problem which started a few days ago, it consists of me turning the key to start the jeep then hearing just a single click. While the key is in the ACC position the electrical system seems perfectly fine then I turn the key to the “on” position I guess, and everything starts flickering and just recently it’s began to just shut off. While I haven’t been able to solve the issue I’ve noticed a few things that may be the problem but I’m no mechanic, first the terminals are somewhat loose and second like I said the Jeep is used I think the previous owner installed an iDatalink system of some sort. Hoping someone can help as I really don’t wanna have to bring it to the dealer. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Hey guys, recently I’ve been having starting issues with my used 2014 JKU I’ve been unable to solve the problem which started a few days ago, it consists of me turning the key to start the jeep then hearing just a single click. While the key is in the ACC position the electrical system seems perfectly fine then I turn the key to the “on” position I guess, and everything starts flickering and just recently it’s began to just shut off. While I haven’t been able to solve the issue I’ve noticed a few things that may be the problem but I’m no mechanic, first the terminals are somewhat loose and second like I said the Jeep is used I think the previous owner installed an iDatalink system of some sort. Hop[/QUOTE

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
86,902 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
NEW TO THIS FORUM SO FORGIVE MY INEPTITUDE with the multiple replies. Anyway, the same issue on the "click, but no start" is also mine (2008 JKU with 102k on it). Not starting but just a click has been on and off issue for several YEARs, but always resolved itself and I could not replicate the problem when I took it in to the Dealer. After a year with no starting faults, it's now it's back and I have joined WranglerForum. After self-testing all the obvious, I finally called for the tow truck. The tow comes and suggests we try once again to start and he observes the "click" does energize the starter, but for simply a moment. as though it is a low battery issue. We confirm battery is fully charged. I return to the driver seat for one last try, shake the transmission shift lever, insert and turn the ignition key and prepare to curse loudly. IT STARTS immediately. I proceed directly to the Dealership and discussed above events with the Service Advisor. A mechanic standing near overheard the discussion and offered that the "click but no start" is a common fault with the older JKs. He suggested that there is a switch that monitors the transmission (auto trans) shift lever position that is malfunctioning by not properly recognizing the Jeep as being in park position as required for starting. He suggested that if it occurs again that I put the handbrake on, rattle the shift selector (auto trans) around and then it should start. We then proceeded to the parking lot where I had left it running, and shut it down to test restart. Of course, it restarted as though there was never an issue. Am anxious to find out if this works next time there is a similar no start issue. The mechanic indicated that replacement of the switch would be the next step for a permanent fix. So next opportunity I will have this switch replaced (requires dropping tranny pan and who knows whatever else). Conditional praise and credit goes to service advisor Reesa and Daniel (Enumclaw (WA) Chrysler/Jeep) for a quick preliminary diagnosis and hopefully final fix to a years old pain. Have others found this to be an answer or what other solutions have come to your rescue?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Loose terminals will cause your battery not to properly charge. Enough power for lights and radio. Not enough to start the jeep. Had this problem off and on for last few years and killed two batteries. Luckily I got the 2nd one replaced for free under warranty. Put a batter shim on it this time. Terminals are tight as can be now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
I solved my "click, no start" issue by adding 2 gauge ground wires from the battery to the alternator bracket and from the battery to the chassis.

Not kidding or exaggerating, it literally made the problem completely disappear in my case, but my JKU is a 2007 so your results may vary. At less than $20 the fix is totally worth trying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts