Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a travel trailer and have narrowed it down to these three. The Rpod, Casita or Scamp. I have not seen many post on these types of trailers and how they tow. If you have one and can comment I would like to hear what your thoughts are.

Thanks,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Subscribed - I am also looking for camper options. This is the one I am looking at: Rockwood Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River
It is a hard side popup so it has little frontal area and is about 2,000 pounds but unlike a regular popup goes up fast and has the insulation and security of a hardside.
I am also looking at the Rpod but wasn't impressed with the one I saw today, plus I am concerned about the wind resistance. The big plus over the A-frame is the bathroom.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There are quite a few options that are under 3500 lbs.

I've been looking for one for a few days and haven't made a decision yet. Mainly because I'm looking for one that sleeps 4 (not bunk beds) and has at least 1 dedicated bed (so I can upgrade the mattress to be as comfortable as can be for someone with a bad back) and has a toilet.

I really liked one that a local dealer had made by coleman (actually manufactured by dutchman I believe) one but it's too close to 3500 lb dry than I'd like (I'll be using it sometimes at campground without hookups so I'll have to bring my own).

I started a thread about popups here http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/most-comfortable-popup-camper-260645.html , but since I've decided a toilet is a must, popups are out.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Subscribed - I am also looking for camper options. This is the one I am looking at: Rockwood Tent Pop Up Camper by Forest River
It is a hard side popup so it has little frontal area and is about 2,000 pounds but unlike a regular popup goes up fast and has the insulation and security of a hardside.
I am also looking at the Rpod but wasn't impressed with the one I saw today, plus I am concerned about the wind resistance. The big plus over the A-frame is the bathroom.
Thats sexy. I like that. I love that it's quick and easy, and feels...well...more like a home and not a tent.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a pop up and a friend has a TT which is nice because he can rest at rest areas and have lunch without setting anything up. We say that and want to have that option. We rented a class C in Alaska and it was nice being able to just stop and hang out which we never did in the pop up. This issue about the Rpod and wind is also my concern I haven’t seen it in person but it looks nice and roomy for its size in photos. The Scamp and Casita have less sail area but are much more expensive and I have been in both, they don’t have a full size queen bed like the Rpod. I hope we find some pros here that have been there and done that and can help with the decision process.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are quite a few options that are under 3500 lbs.

I've been looking for one for a few days and haven't made a decision yet. Mainly because I'm looking for one that sleeps 4 (not bunk beds) and has at least 1 dedicated bed (so I can upgrade the mattress to be as comfortable as can be for someone with a bad back) and has a toilet.

I really liked one that a local dealer had made by coleman (actually manufactured by dutchman I believe) one but it's too close to 3500 lb dry than I'd like (I'll be using it sometimes at campground without hookups so I'll have to bring my own).

I started a thread about popups here http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/most-comfortable-popup-camper-260645.html , but since I've decided a toilet is a must, popups are out.

Read my comments below about a TT over a pop up. We had one and it was nice, big and still has the camping feel. The only negative is you have to set it up to get inside so that being the case we still drove from site to site and depended on restaurants and missed some great overlooks where we could of pulled over ate at the window and enjoyed the view. As far at the sleeping four the Rpod 177 has a full queen and a kitchen table that converts to a full + bed its says it sleeps four. I am looking at that model but I have not seen it in person though. I am also concerned about the sail area in the front of it and wind resistance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those Chalets are nice and they have the perfect floor plan for me and those wanting a bathroom in a compact camper: Chalet XL 1935 : Chalet RV
My problem is all the dealers are on the western third of the country and I don't want to have to drive 1,000 miles for warranty service, and they are a bit spendy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noticed you were interested in towing a fiberglass trailer but that was written in August of 2013. Did you ever get one? I We just joined forum and I into'd my jeep and Casita project just last week, so we're in the New Member newbies section!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a hauler been towing rv since I could drive. But when it came to.the.jeep jku. I was surprised on the tow rating. 3,500. Wow even ultra lights are 5,000. Here is what I wanted

Bed and dinette set. Not the bed is the dinette and you have to fold it up and down.

Trailer. not pop up tent shit. If I.wanted a tent I would.buy a tent not a 12,000 dollar.tent on wheels. Sorry.

Wet bath and fridge, furnace. Grey and black tank separate.

Ok these were the basics. I also wanted it under 2,500 lbs.

Here is what I found

Camp lite 13 qbb. By camplite. 2,300 lbs dry 25,000-30,000. Best bet for size and interior was cool. Only thing with this.one is the water lines are exposed weird but under needs.to.be insulated.

I looked at the rpods they are ok but didn't like how there were inside super narrow.
And they just didn't fit me

Some old nomad trailers are nice or genesis. They have them on toy hauler liquidators. Com out of Fresno ,ca 15,000 and up.

Don't buy the new but they say retro. By white water. I think they are crap. Lots of them coming in for repair at rv shops.

I ended up buying an 1989 wilderness Yukon. Super cute hard to fine. Well built and 1,900 dry. Hauls great.

Scamp and the other fiberglass are nice but just very expensive for what you get. So hope you find something.

ForumRunner_20141206_204236.jpg

·
Registered
4,080 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
I do a Roof top tent currently, but setup & tear down for 4 is a PITA. If it's just the RTT it's manageable, but when we go trail riding as a family, we basically have to pack up basecamp to hit the trail. I've been thinking a RTT/trailer combo might be with it and the teardrop above got me thinking....

Found this: http://www.signatourcamper.com/matrix/

That is the Largest and most expensive one at 7k... The base model starts at 3 or 4... And they are 800-1000lbs...

·
Registered
785 Posts
My 1973 Boler, just like a Scamp '13.

I pull it with my JK, no problem, easy to tow, I almost don't feel it, except for when facing really strong front winds. Of course I have installed electrical brakes on the trailer.

I do around 20-21 mpg without the trailer, when towing it I do 17.4 mpg and with strong front wind it goes down to 15 mpg. I have done near 4000 miles pulling this trailer with the JK up to now.

When I got it in 2010, she was sitting low, then I have changed and raised the axle/suspension on my Boler giving it around 11-12 inches of clearance, can do some light off-road /trails for my remote fishing trips.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
28 Posts
You don't mention off road capable, nor does your selection of trailers make it seem like that, but I have become fond of this teardrop. My wallet isn't though, so it's still on the drawing board for the future sometime. We have also looked at the Chalet and really like the pop up hard top, but wonder if we will want to do that every time, it gets old after a bit.

Little Guy Lil' Rough Rider Teardrop Camper Trailer - Off Road Tires - 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine

I've had a Little Guy 5 Wide for a couple of years now. It doesn't have the off road capabilities of the Rough Rider, but the campers are very nice and well built by the Amish. It doesn't weigh much at all. The JKU pulled it without issue, but I haven't had it behind the new 2 door yet. It's not as convenient as a TT, but it beats a tent.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've got a Coachman Clipper 17BH. Works great with our family. It tows great with a WD hitch and brake controller, no surprises. The 3.6L has enough power, though on steep grades you'll need to push it hard. Cruising at 65 all day is no problem and pushing it to 70 isn't an issue either. Anything past that and wind resistance becomes obvious. I found my 3.6L will consume a small bit of oil over long distances when towing, maybe 1qt every 1000 miles. It'll consume no oil when not towing.

The widest clip on tow mirrors you can find are a must. The Wrangler specific options aren't wide enough to see behind a 7.5' or wider trailer. I've got these:
Amazon.com: JR Products 2912 Grand Aero Towing Mirror - Pair: Automotive

·
Registered
454 Posts
Will be buying an rpod 179 in spring most likely, subscribed for anyone's experience pulling these with a JKU.
We really like our 179 and our JKU pulls it great. We moved up from an Evolution trailer E2 and love the extra space and amenities in the 179. We have a brake controller, an Equalize hitch, 4.10's, on our 12 Rubi with 3" lift and 35's.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Excellent, thanks for confirming it's ability to pull a 179. It's my wife's jku with 3:73 gears but it doesn't have a lift or bigger tires so I think it should pull fine

1 - 20 of 52 Posts