Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 JKU Billet Silver
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a new Wrangler owner, long story short I’ve been wanting one of these vehicles since high school, and was lucky enough to find a 2018 Wrangler Sport JK with low mileage within my price range. It also came with a few nice basic options (AC, touch screen etc) I love my Wrangler, however the only thing to me that sticks out is that from the sides I can visibly see the undercarraige. This is probably a dumb/n00b question, but I see other Wranglers all the time (out here where I live it’s a cult lol) and from the side and I don’t see the undercarraige. From the side view straight on everything is streamline and flush, you see rock sliders or step bars and that’s it. Nothing else hanging down.

Is this simply because the other Wranglers that I am seeing are lifted? Or is it just a Wrangler Sport thing? Picture of what I mean posted below, I have no step bars (yet) but you can see the underbelly hanging.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yeah I think it is sidesteps or what are called rock rails. They are designed to either be a step to get in for those of shorter stature, or as protection for if you smack a rock so you don’t destroy the tub- or both.

Based on your enthusiasm, in just joining the “cult” it probably would be kinda fun for you to just lay down under the machine and do some looking around and learning. One of the nice things about a Wrangler is that from the chassis perspective, they are still very simple, so it’s easy to find stuff and learn how it is all interrelated.

If you‘re game, look under there for:
  • axles
  • control arms (upper and lower)
  • drive shafts
  • shocks
  • springs
  • brake lines
  • frame (and where everything attaches)
  • steering components (tie rod, drag link, steering stabilizer)
  • track bars

If you can learn those basics, you basically understand most of the important stuff. And this can help you figure out what exactly you want to do with it. Be forewarned; this is a very slippery slope that can bankrupt you depending on your goals for off road and the like.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
587 Posts
What you are seeing is normal - here is a shot of mine during a previous rebuild without the "Nerf Bars" installed. Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Reactions: kerryMTK

·
Registered
2018 JKU Billet Silver
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think it is sidesteps or what are called rock rails. They are designed to either be a step to get in for those of shorter stature, or as protection for if you smack a rock so you don’t destroy the tub- or both.

Based on your enthusiasm, in just joining the “cult” it probably would be kinda fun for you to just lay down under the machine and do some looking around and learning. One of the nice things about a Wrangler is that from the chassis perspective, they are still very simple, so it’s easy to find stuff and learn how it is all interrelated.

If you‘re game, look under there for:
  • axles
  • control arms (upper and lower)
  • drive shafts
  • shocks
  • springs
  • brake lines
  • frame (and where everything attaches)
  • steering components (tie rod, drag link, steering stabilizer)
  • track bars

If you can learn those basics, you basically understand most of the important stuff. And this can help you figure out what exactly you want to do with it. Be forewarned; this is a very slippery slope that can bankrupt you depending on your goals for off road and the like.
My friends got a lift in his backyard next to his garage so I’m sure we could either lift her up or slide under to get a better more comfortable look. I want to learn all that I can. I really want to know this vehicle. I appreciate your feedback and will keep all of this mind in general and as far as when and what I plan to modify and upgrade down the line. I’m only 5’3” so I think the side steps would be the best addition as of right now, practical and fairly inexpensive… but I’d love a 2.5-3” lift - at some point 🙂

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Sport thing, I bought some Sahara steps from marketplace, cheap and very usefull.
Unless you are intending some serious rock crawling then go for steel sliders instead.

·
Registered
863 Posts
What ever you do don't confuse side steps with rock rails. 2 completely different things.

You are at an important place right now in deciding which road or trail you want to go down with knowing your Jeep and possibly moding it.

Side steps - mall crawlers and the like who don't wheel. Offers no protection.

Rock rails - For people who use there Jeep off road for what it was built for. Offers plenty of protection.

Choose wisely

·
Registered
461 Posts
What ever you do don't confuse side steps with rock rails. 2 completely different things.

You are at an important place right now in deciding which road or trail you want to go down with knowing your Jeep and possibly moding it.

Side steps - mall crawlers and the like who don't wheel. Offers no protection.

Rock rails - For people who use there Jeep off road for what it was built for. Offers plenty of protection.

Choose wisely
or you could always go with both like I did for my vertically challenged wife...who also has bad shoulders and 2 elbow surgeries. rock slide engineering step sliders. its a rock slider that drops down 12" when you open the door to make a step!! expensive but AWESOME!!! Pics closed and open....and one with nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
That is definitely one of the things I really dislike about the JK, that without rock rails or some type of slider or panel, it looks unfinished and almost sloppy.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've got the factory option plastic side steps on my JK. (Just like the picture in post #7 above). They're called 'tubular side steps' on my window sticker.

They look good and what I like most is that they make fairly effective mud flaps. They prevent a lot of mud from being flung on the doors by the front tires

But apart from that they are cosmetic only. They will be damaged if they ever come in contact with a tree or rock. In the 'Off Raod Driving Tips' section of my owner's manual, the first thing they recommend removing the factory side steps. They provide instructions on how to do it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
or you could always go with both like I did for my vertically challenged wife...who also has bad shoulders and 2 elbow surgeries. rock slide engineering step sliders. its a rock slider that drops down 12" when you open the door to make a step!! expensive but AWESOME!!! Pics closed and open....and one with nothing.
My wife wishes I went this direction. I love my boat side bombers but she definitely struggles to climb in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
461 Posts
My wife wishes I went this direction. I love my boat side bombers but she definitely struggles to climb in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are expensive. I got mine used for $750 so wasn't that bad but now that we have them and live them so much....we absolutly would have paid 2k for new ones!

Reactions: Jab1719
1 - 13 of 13 Posts