Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I am having major vibration when i go over 65 mph. The vibration starts at exactly 65 mpg. It's not death wobble, but just strong vibration. I'm getting the idea it could be bad ball joints on my sway bar.. What are your thoughts on that.. Any other suggestions, maybe bad u joints?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Easy way to find out if its the ball joints. Get the Jack out and lift each front tire one at a time. Grab the tire and see if there is any movement..should be pretty stiff. If there is movement could be the balljoints....Would help if we knew what year? which tires? lift? etc....
Old sway bar links will cause vibration overtime. Another easy one is tire balancing since you say you get vibrations at exactly 65 most likely it's a balancing issue....(tire shop).

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Usually when the vibration starts around a certain speed it is either a tire balance issue or driveshaft. If you feel the vibration it is probably tires, if you just hear it most likely driveshaft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah i feel the vibration at exactly 65 mph. anything under it feels like there is nothing. i don't hear it, i feel it. jeep wrangler unlimited, 2013, wrangler duratrack 33's, either 2 or 2.5 inch lift. what about my u joints, if they are worn would that cause shaking

·
Registered
129 Posts
yeah i feel the vibration at exactly 65 mph. anything under it feels like there is nothing. i don't hear it, i feel it. jeep wrangler unlimited, 2013, wrangler duratrack 33's, either 2 or 2.5 inch lift. what about my u joints, if they are worn would that cause shaking
most likely its tires, i have 33 Duratracks with 15000 miles on them, i have to tell you balancing them its PITA, i tried few shops, and no one can balance them right, they have too thin sidewall and if you run 15 wheels, well good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry for bringing an old thread back to life, but I thought I'd post up here since I had a bad vibration after a re-gear...

I went from 3.21 on my JKU Sahara to 4.88s from Motive. I had a local 4x4 shop do it. And as soon as I took it on the highway I noticed a pulsing vibration from 60-70MPH, especially when decelerating (coasting - foot off the gas, from 70 down to 60MPH).

I took it back to the shop that did the lift/re-gear and they told me it was just "tire noise" from the new 35" Duratracs. I didn't believe them and took it to another shop that did a full inspection of the axles and gears, pulled the front driveshaft to try and pinpoint, etc.

Long story short, they found one of the CV joints on the rear driveshaft had totally seized. They guessed this happened when the suspension sagged down while it was on the rack at the other shop for the lift/re-gear install. They swapped in a new rear driveshaft and the vibration was completely eliminated!

I thought I'd share this as a possible solution for others dealing with the same issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts