Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bad crack in the window so I got it replaced. It is a OEM windshield (with the little Jeep graphic and all.) Now I've got a horrible whistle between 50 and 70 km/h (~30-45 mph)

Taking it in to the glass shop tomorrow but I expect them to tell me it's not their problem or to try something hoky like sticking some caulking in there.

Any advice?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Had a bad crack in the window so I got it replaced. It is a OEM windshield (with the little Jeep graphic and all.) Now I've got a horrible whistle between 50 and 70 km/h (~30-45 mph)

Taking it in to the glass shop tomorrow but I expect them to tell me it's not their problem or to try something hoky like sticking some caulking in there.

Any advice?
Very common issue with the jk because the windshield has no rubber seal around it. Happens to a lot of people. If you search in here or on the web you will see there is a bunch of different posts on this same issue. They need to reset the windshield.

A jk windshield needs to be centered in the frame (mopar even makes spacers for this) and MUST sit below the frame. It cannot at any point be above the windshield frame. If it is it will whistle at 30+ mph. I also had this issue and this is what I was told as they were resetting it to fix mine. I also used OEM glass.

Anyway take it back. They didnt do the job correctly and they need to fix this. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
22,100 Posts
there is a service bulletin on this.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is a service bulletin on this.

Thanks - good to know. Glass shop isn't a dealer. What's the best way to connect the dots? Do you have the ID number for the bulletin so that they could phone the dealer and ask about it?

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Not the correct fix but I figured out the whistle was coming from the top part so I ran a bead of clear silicone caulk and whammo, whistle gone. THat was a couple years ago and now the caulking is a little dirty but it matches the rest of the jeep!

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
They definitely use little white plastic spacers. There is a photo of one on this forum because the new owner didn't know what it was and was hesitant to pull it out. Lo and behold when I got home with my new Chief, there was one left in mine. I tried to pull it straight out, then figured you have to turn it 90 degrees and it comes right out. In fact, I still have it as a curiosity item.

Keep after them. If your insurance co. covered the replacement, sic them on it. I had to have a local body shop replace my windshield and fix the dent in the frame. (Buzzard 1, Jeep 0) Three days after turning it in, I got it back as good as new.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have this issue from the first day i got my 2016 jk from the dealership.. The annoyance come and go. Finally, i committed to solving this issue without going to the dealer because once you go to them they will basically send you off disappointed or maybe do more damage than before so you don't come back.

How i solved this after discovering the problem was from the wind shield was by buying rubber foam weather seal and stuffed it around the windshield channel and problem is fixed ever since with zero visibility.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The problem is that JK windshields are not supposed to be installed completely centered in the frame. The tolerance at the top of the frame is supposed to be close, but not touching the bottom portion of the top of the frame. The left/right side frame spacing has to be the same measurement. That's why there are issues with wind noise/whistling after some shops install JK windshields. Measure the distance of a new JK windshield sides and top/bottom and you'll see the difference. When the windshield is installed properly no additional sealer, etc. is required.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts