Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm new to the world of jeeps. I alway's loved them, but never owned them. I seriously thought when I drove this thing off the dealership lot that I would be satisfied! LOL I didn't even make it home before I saw a lifted jeep on large tires and I knew my bank account was about to shrink...

It's worth noting that since I wasn't planning on 'building' a jeep when I bought it I didn't know about things like gear ratio's...So after a bit of reading around on this forum I found out how to get my jeeps build sheet. Which I discovered I had 3.21 gears. Upgrading the gears doesn't seem like a path I will head down for now since this thing is primarily a DD for sure.. It will see some nasty winter weather conditions in Ma, but nothing it can't hand with stock gears and tires.

Here she is fresh off the lot

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My first upgrade actually came from the dealer... it was heated seats. You can survive New England winters without them...but this old southern boy prefers to have his butt nice and warm. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Next up was a new pair of kicks... It was honestly hard to believe how quickly I become disenfranchised with the stock tires and wheels.

Initially I was planning to upgrade to 33/12.5/15's and then do a teraflex 2.5 in lift...thinking that eventually when my tires needed to be replaced I'd upgrade to 35's. Having 3.21 gears puts a damper on that plan..and while I definitely like the look of a lifted jeep better than stock I was impressed enough with the look of my new kicks that I'm probably going to hold off on the suspension lift for a bit.

For wheels I went with the Ultra vagaband 15x8. I really like the look of the wheels, but there is one issue that pretty well blows. The stock lug wrench won't work because the lug nut holes are too narrow on the wheels... I ended up having to use a socket wrench with long handle to tighten the lugs....no biggy, but this also means that my factory locking lug nut also doesn't work...grrr.

The tires are BFG KO2 33/12.5/15's. It was between them and the duratracs...Ratings wise they both seemed solid for my environment so I pulled up pictures of both and asked me wife which she thought looked 'tougher'. :) So there you go my scientific way of determine which tire to choose!

But overall I feel like the upgrade of wheels and tires really added a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Looking good so far and I share your opinion on the factory kicks. I am going to be following your progress closely as we have similar plans for our vehicles and both live in the same locale and need these to be daily drivers.

I am curious how the road noise and handling is on your BFG's? I took a test drive in a JKU yesterday that had Kelly Safari TSR's (285/70R17) and just rolling out of the lot felt rough. Once at about 50MPH, the hum was pretty loud and road feel less than desirable for a DD.

I was planning a small lift too. My biggest goal is to level that front end. I hate the nose down look on these.

·
Registered
940 Posts
looks good! your not too far from me ( im in watertown/waltham area) feel free to pm if you need a hand with anything

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am curious how the road noise and handling is on your BFG's? I took a test drive in a JKU yesterday that had Kelly Safari TSR's (285/70R17) and just rolling out of the lot felt rough. Once at about 50MPH, the hum was pretty loud and road feel less than desirable for a DD.
The road noise is honesty about the same as the factory tires.. kinda surprised to be honest as I was expecting that big mud tired sound. Noise wise it's similar to the factory tires, perhaps a tad louder. When you have the top off and doors of and go under an underpass at the same time as a semi it's definitely LOUD..but all other situations are fine to me.

I was planning a small lift too. My biggest goal is to level that front end. I hate the nose down look on these.
Yeah no doubt. I am probably going to wait until next summer for an actual lift, but I may still do a small budget boost to level her out this year. It's between that and a lighting upgrade... factory lights are pretty dang dim at night.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks good! your not too far from me ( im in watertown/waltham area) feel free to pm if you need a hand with anything
Hey thanks Ziggy! I'm actually out in Framingham, but still right down the road. I'd love to meet up with some other jeepers in the area at some point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sunshade upgrade

Latest upgrade was the rugged ridge sunshade.

I am actually digging the sunshade a good bit for a few reasons.

1) My wife is Irish and she burns anytime the giant orange globe in the sky comes out. This gives her the relief she needs to enjoy a day riding in the sun with me. :)

2) I can put the soft top on over it. I'm guessing I can probably also put the hard top on over it, but I have not tried this yet. :) :)

3) It also helps protect in very mild rain... basically it gives you time to get the soft top pulled over without fear. Perfect.

It's not the same feeling as going full topless though. There is a lot less wind coming in from the top side. Wearing a hat is a non issue which is nice, but it's still a pretty open air feeling...even with the doors on.

All in all money well spent in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Added some new side mirrors for when the doors are off. Definitely makes driving in heavy traffic more reassuring. Installation was a breeze. Just a couple of hex nuts on the windshield frame. Adjusting the mirrors was a pain, but they held pretty well at high way speeds today. Biggest draw back is there is more wrenching todo if I want to take doors on/off.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Light bar install.

I actually did this a few months back, but never got around to updating the build.

I went with the Raxiom 21.5 inch light bar: 2007-2017 Wrangler Light Bars | ExtremeTerrain - Free Shipping

I also did a custom led push button switch install in the driver side cabin tower...(no clue what that piece is called honestly.. lol)

Coming up next... pictures of the lift

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
I actually did this a few months back, but never got around to updating the build.

I went with the Raxiom 21.5 inch light bar: 2007-2017 Wrangler Light Bars | ExtremeTerrain - Free Shipping

I also did a custom led push button switch install in the driver side cabin tower...(no clue what that piece is called honestly.. lol)

Coming up next... pictures of the lift
Hey there!

Love the switches on your "A-Pillar" : ) I am curious , where did they come from. I have 3 RIGID Radiance products that required 6 switches. I like the look of yours much more...

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey there!

Love the switches on your "A-Pillar" : ) I am curious , where did they come from. I have 3 RIGID Radiance products that required 6 switches. I like the look of yours much more...

Hey BoxerMobileJK I ordered them off ebay or amazon. I forget now. They are very similar to https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/dimmers-and-switches/led-indicator-push-button-switch/1201/2836/?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=base&utm_content=CPBT-SPx&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseChild&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0IvIBRDF0Yzq4qGE4IwBEiQATMQlMThBklROUVGA3b1IoOfy3OZ0MfPi-nD1Xw8OM_WgLRoaAm278P8HAQ

BTW Thanks for the heads up on the "A-Frame". :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mopar 2inch Lift - 2016 JKU Sport

So I waited all winter, 12506 miles to be exact, from the date I bought her... to the date I got her lifted. :)

I went with the mopar 2inch lift and I let the dealership do it. First off though, I wanna give a big shout out to the crew up at Colonial Jeep in Hudson MA. These guy's were just fantastic. The guy's doing the install we almost as excited to do the work as I was to get it done. They literally worked until 8:30 the first night with no overtime charges...and got it back to me the next day...Awesome. I called several dealers before pulling the trigger and did a lot of online research. There is no question which dealership will get all my future business at this point...

So total cost for the kit with fox shocks was $1386... about $100 cheaper than I could find online. After talking with the guys at the shop they convinced me to also add the teraflex adjustable trac bar (243.99).

They also did an alignment and fixed an impact sensor recall...sweet. They tossed in a few dealer discounts and the total came out to $2518.59. I know that is a lot of cash for a 2inch lift and if you have the time/space you can definitely do it cheaper yourself, but all in all I feel like I got a lot of bang for my buck here and my warranty is still in full effect.

The main thing I noticed when I first walked up to it was WOW 2 inches makes a lot of difference!! I did not measure before and after to give a total inch count (my manly hood doesn't care. lol). Once I got in the jeep the next noticeable item was that I was definitely up higher, but I could also see far more of the hood... The factory rake was gone!!! It really does looks and feel a good bit different than factory even thought externally it only looks a tad higher (I swear pics don't do it justice)..

So I haven't had this on trail yet, but what I can say about performance thus far is it corners (surprisingly to me) WAY better than stock. I also notice that when I hit big water holes I don't hydroplane nearly as much. Actually I'm guessing I do, but the jeep handles it far better. You can't really stop 12.5 inch tires from hydroplaning ! lol

Overall the ride feels a bit lighter than before on normal road conditions, but on bumpy surfaces it's a bit stiffer.. which is honestly exactly what we want.

yeah yeah, yeah...shut up and show is some pics... :)

The first two images are very similar to the stock photos I showed in the first post.. I think the look is significantly better so far...

The next group are side by sides with a coworkers stock sahara. To me this really highlights the jeep as good as well as a picture will. This isn't a giant 4-6inch lift, but it's a very nice addition to the stock suspension that keeps the center of gravity lower than a larger kit..

The last picture is the rear fox shocks.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts