Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still patiently waiting for the arrival of the new Jeep and currently trying to figure out if it is worth replacing the factory track bar with an upgraded one at time of lift install.

The lift will be the AEV 3.5" RS and during install I will be adding the Northridge4x4 bolt kit and Dynatrac ProSteer ball joints.

I have searched quite a bit and have come up with mixed answers both on brand of TB and whether or not its worth it.

That said, what does the group think? Is it worth it and which TB would work correctly with the AEV lift?

Thanks!
ERAU

·
Registered
54 Posts
After reviewing all the posts on here, I myself will be replacing the front trackbar. Seems like a good idea to avoid problems down the road. I will be doing the Teraflex 3" with front lower and rear upper flex arms, and addingTeraflex monster front track bar. Teraflex stated that the trackbar replacement is required with their 3" lift and higher.

Do you have a link or part number for the Northidge4X4 bolt kit?

Best of luck on your build!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'd do the bolt kit and keep the stock track bar.

I'm curious to know what problems you've seen with the stock track bar itself?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd do the bolt kit and keep the stock track bar.

I'm curious to know what problems you've seen with the stock track bar itself?
Not really any big problems to speak of. As I plan on taking it off road and maybe even the Rubicon Trail a few times, I figure I would just tackle some other components at the same time.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The AEV 3.5" kit will operate perfectly fine with out replacing any of the 5 stock links. However, with out the front adjustable TB the axle will swing towards drivers side 1/2-1" which you can see if you pay attention. The bushings are capable of handling the offset from center but it will be there. Ditto for the rear except it will swing to the passenger side.

The TB is a good idea if you have the budget but I would replace the front LCAs instead if I only budget for one of them. A new set of links of both axles is ideal but it does introduce maintenance since the stock links are maintenance free.

I would suggest you get your new Jeep drive for a couple thousand miles before you modify it. Then you will really appreciate the value of the mods and you might be surprised how capable a stock Jeep is.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The AEV 3.5" kit will operate perfectly fine with out replacing any of the 5 stock links. However, with out the front adjustable TB the axle will swing towards drivers side 1/2-1" which you can see if you pay attention. The bushings are capable of handling the offset from center but it will be there. Ditto for the rear except it will swing to the passenger side.

The TB is a good idea if you have the budget but I would replace the front LCAs instead if I only budget for one of them. A new set of links of both axles is ideal but it does introduce maintenance since the stock links are maintenance free.

I would suggest you get your new Jeep drive for a couple thousand miles before you modify it. Then you will really appreciate the value of the mods and you might be surprised how capable a stock Jeep is.
Thanks for the reply!

The current plan is to drive if from the dealer straight into the garage. :happyyes: I realize the stock Rubicon is WAY more than capable, I just love the look of a lifted jeep along with a few bells and whistles. Hoping to get it out to the Rubicon Trail by the end of the year too, so the extra height, winch, etc. should help quite a bit. :)

At the end of the day, what matters most is the ride quality of the post-lifted vehicle. It will get about 6-7000mi/yr as a DD so the last thing I want is a vehicle that I have to fight to keep straight. From everything I have read, AEV wins in this category and a few upgrades from their kit make it even better (ball joints, TB, etc).

Thanks again everyone and hopefully in the coming weeks I can fire up a build thread!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Understand the 3.5" kit raises the track bar and drag link 3" This in turn repositions the axle pretty close to center.

Do I still recommend a stronger track bar ? Yep
That's kinda my thought as well. Besides DW, I figure every bit of flex, wiggle, etc. that I can eliminate from the front axle will equate to a straighter, smoother driving machine! :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Aev makes some expensive stuff...

Like spinlock said, the aev kit comes with a drag link flip that will include a bracket to raise the TB and will put it damn close to center.

A lot of the cases of TB problems come along when people start replacing things and don't get it tight enough, or use the wrong hardware which on a 2014 I think that was fixed.

Your more likely to rip the brackets up if you wheel it hard enough than to break a factory TB. I know a few people that are still rockin a factory TB on 40's and coilovers at over 100k mi.

For the price of the Aev kit... Don't you think they'd throw one in if they think you needed it? Just something to think about...

Btw congrats on the new JKUR!!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Not really lol ^^ this is AEV we are taking about.
The factory TB will deflect under Load with bigger tires.
WOW, I've heard a lot of bad things about stock components but TB deflection???? :) Do you mean deflecting as in bending?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Both in the bushings with age and the bar itself. @ about 2:20
http://youtu.be/Xrlhfooc-Xc
That exact video is one of the main reasons for switching the TB and adding the brace in the first place.

With a full build, the extra $$$ seems well worth it to help prevent the headaches in the future IMHO.

·
Registered
801 Posts
That exact video is one of the main reasons for switching the TB and adding the brace in the first place.

With a full build, the extra $$$ seems well worth it to help prevent the headaches in the future IMHO.
Just like Aev, those folks do a great job of selling there stuff... As they should! Teraflex has a TON of products out on the street.

Now I will give them credit, they changed there design but the people that made that video also made this trackbar.

Now THIS is a headache.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Gen 1 people should know ^
Yep.

I am running the newer version of it, granted I only payed $50 for a brand new one but my coilovers would rub with out one.

Phew!! I just looked at the price for the 3.5 aev rs kit... That's baller stuff right there. The procal is a snazzy lil dealio tho.

OP, What size tires are you gonna be running?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep.

I am running the newer version of it, granted I only payed $50 for a brand new one but my coilovers would rub with out one.

Phew!! I just looked at the price for the 3.5 aev rs kit... That's baller stuff right there. The procal is a snazzy lil dealio tho.

OP, What size tires are you gonna be running?
Planning 35" BFG MT KM2s.

·
Registered
801 Posts
On a brand stinkin new rig like yours I personally wouldn't do a TB, but I would recommend the Monster TB cause it's designed like the OEM and shouldn't cause any problems with your setup

If you really plan on using it as you say you are you might wanna consider doing some LCA's while your at it... That'll prolly be the first thing you break or bend.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts