Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

JKUR Poison Spyder Diff Fluid Capacity

6K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  cdeslandes 
#1 ·
I need to know what the gear oil capacity is when I install my Poison Spyder Diff cover. I have seen multiple threads saying fill it to the bottom of the fill hole. Others say use the amount that is specified in the owners manual. Does the Poison Spyder Diff cover have a greater fluid capacity, if so then the spec in the owners manual the fluid would be low. Also what would be the best gear oil to put in. Weight, brand, etc.
2014 JK Rubicon
Dana 44 rear with elocker.
Thanks!

#2 ·
You need to fill the diff to the proper oil level, which is to the bottom of the fill hole of the original factory cover.

If the PS diff cover fill hole is at the same position at the factory cover, then you can use it as the fill level, otherwise you will need to come up with a way to fill it to the proper level (like using a small dip stick or putting a small level hole in the new cover at the proper location).

The oil capacity is whatever it takes to fill it to the correct level.

#3 ·
PS Differential covers use "Stock Level Fill Hole."

#9 ·
It is my understanding that Poison Spyder designed the cover so that the differential will have the same capacity as the with the stock cover. The fill hole height is placed so that gear oil will come out when it reaches the same amount of oil as the stock cover would allow.

#11 ·
No need to make this difficult. When using these covers fill the rear to slightly above the lower edge of the fill hole and fill the front to the top of the hole. In the end you will use just about exactly the total amount of gear oil advertised. I personally always slightly overfill both which isn't an issue since capacities on gear oil aren't all that critical. But it is better to have a tad too much rather than too little. There are too many variables to be exact depending on rotation of the diff to adjust for changes in shaft angles and caster adjustments among others.

#13 ·
Yeah, it is not difficult, but this is what I ran into when looking for fill quantities so I ask the question. The install on the poison spyder page says fill to OEM specs. But then others say fill it to the bottom of the hole. I just want to fill it the right amount the first time. The bottom of the hole may be OEM specs and that is all I am trying to find out. This is the rear diff by the way, if I had not mentioned it.

#14 ·
To the bottom of the hole + or - a bit is correct in the rear but if you're concerned premeasure 2 quarts + 3/4 of a pint and see where you end up. Understand, this amount is also to fill a completely dry diff. When you just drain one there is always a very small amount left behind. As I said earlier, overfilling a touch doesn't hurt a thing as long as you don't go nuts.

#15 ·
I have diff covers from solid. I let a shop replace my front inner seals and after the job was done my axle was leaking from both sides ALOT. 4 months later I drained the front diff and there was almost 3 quarts in it (after leaking for 4 months). When I contacted Solid they stated to fill using oem capacity's.

#18 ·
If you put in too much it will blow out the vent. Put new ps covers on and filled up to the hole...on the freeway about 70 mph blew out oil from the front vent. Was on a trip so monitoring on the way it stopped about 1/8 in below the hole and has stayed there since. ( 2+years)

#19 ·
The poison spyder diff instruction sheet do say it's an increased volume of fluid, but don't specify volume (refer to oem). I filled my dry non-rubi d44 to the hole and it took between 2-3 quarts. My last diff change accomplished this a tad over quarts.... I could see the front being more sensitive though...

I just raised my front vent into the engine bay fender next to the ABS. (with nice braided fuel line) Maybe I should put a rag around the top just in case... Don't need an engine gear oil potential bath

#23 ·
As I understand it, in the rear axle the diff oil actually goes up into the axle tubes and out to the bearings and seals at the ends of the tubes. It has to or the bearings out there will not be properly lubricated.
The front axle is different. The seals are right at the pumpkin, not out in the tubes, and the bearings are not lubricated by the diff oil.
The seals should be able to keep the oil in the axle, it is what they do. They are not splash guards, they are seals. They seal. A seal failure is just that. A failure.

#24 ·
Rear diff: fill to the hole.
Front diff: fill below the hole, to about the bottom of the axle shaft as that's the position of the OEM fill hole.
That comes out to about the factory fill (2.4 qt rear, 1.4 qt front)
I made a little dipstick to use on my front diff, out of electric wire.

As for oil, I've been using Royal Purple for a few years, just started using AMSOIL Severe Gear. 80W-90 front and 75W-140 rear 'cause I tow a trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.