Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I have diff covers from solid. I let a shop replace my front inner seals and after the job was done my axle was leaking from both sides ALOT. 4 months later I drained the front diff and there was almost 3 quarts in it (after leaking for 4 months). When I contacted Solid they stated to fill using oem capacity's.
Same issue only straight from the factory. My front seals started leaking prematurely. When I opened up to change them I couldn't find anything wrong with them. I did find however that the factory WAAAAY overfilled the axle.

The long and short... I think the object here is to fill just to the bottom of the axle tube so your seals aren't BATHING in oil. The splashing of the oil will send enough lube down the tube so that they get lubricated instead of being literally submerged.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Yeah, it is not difficult, but this is what I ran into when looking for fill quantities so I ask the question. The install on the poison spyder page says fill to OEM specs. But then others say fill it to the bottom of the hole. I just want to fill it the right amount the first time. The bottom of the hole may be OEM specs and that is all I am trying to find out. This is the rear diff by the way, if I had not mentioned it.
Not to sound like a broken record, but ...

The correct fill level for the rear diff is to the bottom of the fill hole of the original factory rear diff cover. The correct oil capacity is whatever it takes to fill it to the correct level. Not difficult.

If the bottom of the PS diff cover fill hole is at the same position at the factory cover, then you can use it as the fill level. Otherwise you will need to come up with a way to fill it to the proper level.

·
Super Moderator
4,914 Posts
As I understand it, in the rear axle the diff oil actually goes up into the axle tubes and out to the bearings and seals at the ends of the tubes. It has to or the bearings out there will not be properly lubricated.
The front axle is different. The seals are right at the pumpkin, not out in the tubes, and the bearings are not lubricated by the diff oil.
The seals should be able to keep the oil in the axle, it is what they do. They are not splash guards, they are seals. They seal. A seal failure is just that. A failure.

·
Premium Member
3,647 Posts
Rear diff: fill to the hole.
Front diff: fill below the hole, to about the bottom of the axle shaft as that's the position of the OEM fill hole.
That comes out to about the factory fill (2.4 qt rear, 1.4 qt front)
I made a little dipstick to use on my front diff, out of electric wire.

As for oil, I've been using Royal Purple for a few years, just started using AMSOIL Severe Gear. 80W-90 front and 75W-140 rear 'cause I tow a trailer.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts