Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rubicon has 150k on it and I’m going to swap out my shocks. I’ve found the factory shocks that come on the rubicon for 84 dollars each. In my experience with other cars oe struts and shocks always out last aftermarket. Anyone have any experience with these or other brands? Suspension is stock.

·
Administrator
12,500 Posts
If the current stock rubi shocks lasted 150k I say another set of the same things should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
My rubicon has 150k on it and I’m going to swap out my shocks. I’ve found the factory shocks that come on the rubicon for 84 dollars each. In my experience with other cars oe struts and shocks always out last aftermarket. Anyone have any experience with these or other brands? Suspension is stock.
You can do that, but at that price you could buy a set of aftermarket shocks. Or you could look for a set of take offs from someone for less. People sell a set of take offs for near what you are looking at paying for one.
The stock Rubi shocks aren't as bad as the stock Sport and Sahara shocks, but there are better shocks out there at that price in my opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

You can do that, but at that price you could buy a set of aftermarket shocks. Or you could look for a set of take offs from someone for less. People sell a set of take offs for near what you are looking at paying for one.
The stock Rubi shocks aren't as bad as the stock Sport and Sahara shocks, but there are better shocks out there at that price in my opinion.
I don’t know if any aftermarket brands personally that will really last 150k. We have but ranchos on customers cars at work that have been weak out of the box. Just curious is anyone had tried any aftermarket shocks that was as good as the oem shocks

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Wow, and I gave mine away for free.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
$84 each? You're getting ripped off. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for the set. As @Leadnut said, you can find some for free or super cheap.

Reactions: Leadnut

·
Super Moderator
5,306 Posts
$50 dollars for the set? You must be talking used.
Used, but often near brand new as many people take them off first thing.
There are plenty of people who sell their near new stock shocks and springs because they are replacing them with lifted springs and shocks.
Some never even make that first drive home from the dealer.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
$50 dollars for the set? You must be talking used.
Well they're used, but take offs. Usually <100 miles on a set. That would be new enough for me.

Reactions: Pressurized

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,493 Posts
The funny thing is, over time we get accustomed to the changes in ride quality of our vehicles. Just because you got 150k miles out of the OEM shocks doesn't mean they shouldn't have been replaced 50k or more miles ago. To say aftermarket shocks won't last as long as the OEM is dubious at best. Sure, if you put the absolute cheapest Monroe, etc. that you can possibly find that fits your vehicle, they may suffer failure sooner than the OEM shocks. Again, that doesn't mean the OEM shocks at 150k miles are performing how they should be. Having modified many, many passenger car suspensions and SUV suspensions over that last 40 years or so, my experience has been that a quality designed and manufactured aftermarket shock will outlast and outperform most all OEM shocks. Consider yourself very fortunate that you were able to put up with the ride quality of the OEM shocks for 150k miles. But don't be surprised if you are able to repeat that with a quality aftermarket shock. As always, YMMV.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Wow I’d like to find a set of those? Maybe I should make a post here on the forum that I’m looking for some
TONS of modded Jeeps in AZ, so you see them on CL fairly often. I know you're in NC, but keep your eyes peeled. Also, maybe get involved with a local Jeep club. Most of the time it's all about who you know :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The funny thing is, over time we get accustomed to the changes in ride quality of our vehicles. Just because you got 150k miles out of the OEM shocks doesn't mean they shouldn't have been replaced 50k or more miles ago. To say aftermarket shocks won't last as long as the OEM is dubious at best. Sure, if you put the absolute cheapest Monroe, etc. that you can possibly find that fits your vehicle, they may suffer failure sooner than the OEM shocks. Again, that doesn't mean the OEM shocks at 150k miles are performing how they should be. Having modified many, many passenger car suspensions and SUV suspensions over that last 40 years or so, my experience has been that a quality designed and manufactured aftermarket shock will outlast and outperform most all OEM shocks. Consider yourself very fortunate that you were able to put up with the ride quality of the OEM shocks for 150k miles. But don't be surprised if you are able to repeat that with a quality aftermarket shock. As always, YMMV.
I don’t have a lot of experience with a ton of aftermarket brands but I’ve been a mechanic for 17 years so I had a little experience with some brands. We have tried kybs, and as for Monroe’s the reflex is the only ones they will even let us install of those anymore, and ranchos. Those ranchos are the worst. We put a set of the 7000 series on a ‘18 gmc last month and after two trips back the guy ended up going to gm and getting stock struts. I’m sure you have a ton of experience too but yeah I’m sure you could go pay 800 dollars for four shocks and possibly get a good ride but in my experience when we have installed factory shocks, and I’d say we install oem stuff about 50% of the time we have never had a complaint or a return. I think sometimes people think if they are a pretty color or have a big sticker on them that translates into a good ride. I promise you it doesn’t. But hey to each their own

·
Registered
879 Posts
Go with Fox 2.0 shocks.

Reactions: 93YJfan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go with Fox 2.0 shocks.
I don’t have any experience with those but I won’t be lifting my Jeep and probably will do very little big off-roading. Bottom line for just regular street driving I’ve never put on any aftermarket strut or shock that road better than a oem strut. For the same money I’d choose oem everytime as far as struts go. And not to mention I’ve already had three guys message me with basically brand new rubicon shocks at a great price.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Go with Fox 2.0 shocks.
I don’t have any experience with those but I won’t be lifting my Jeep and probably will do very little big off-roading. Bottom line for just regular street driving I’ve never put on any aftermarket strut or shock that road better than a oem strut. For the same money I’d choose oem everytime as far as struts go. And not to mention I’ve already had three guys message me with basically brand new rubicon shocks at a great price.

As soon as my stock Rubi shocks go it's Fox 2.0 going on. Running then in my 07 and it rides better than the stock oem IMO.

Reactions: 93YJfan

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you haven't had a shock be better than OEM then you need to buy better aftermarket shocks. Anything you get from like Autozone or a place like that are probably going to suck and I would agree they'd be less than OEM.

If you go name brand aftermarket like Fox, Bilstin, Old Man Emu, Falcon, or anything like those they're going to be much better. I'm a Fox guy myself, I had Fox 2.0 shocks and I loved those and I'm running Fox 2.0 adjustable reservoir shocks now and they're fantastic.

Just because you have OEM suspension at stock length doesn't mean you can run aftermarket shocks. I know plenty of companies make shocks that work with 0-2 inches of lift.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you haven't had a shock be better than OEM then you need to buy better aftermarket shocks. Anything you get from like Autozone or a place like that are probably going to suck and I would agree they'd be less than OEM.

If you go name brand aftermarket like Fox, Bilstin, Old Man Emu, Falcon, or anything like those they're going to be much better. I'm a Fox guy myself, I had Fox 2.0 shocks and I loved those and I'm running Fox 2.0 adjustable reservoir shocks now and they're fantastic.

Just because you have OEM suspension at stock length doesn't mean you can run aftermarket shocks. I know plenty of companies make shocks that work with 0-2 inches of lift.
I'm a big noob with Jeeps so bare with me here. I noticed you didn't say Rancho when listing off aftermarket shocks. Do you not think they're good?

I used to have rubicon express monotube shocks and springs that felt stiff as hell. I wanted a smoother ride and people suggested the Rancho RS9000XL's, so I got those. It was a slight improvement but ride is still stiff. Do you happen to think Fox are smoother?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm a big noob with Jeeps so bare with me here. I noticed you didn't say Rancho when listing off aftermarket shocks. Do you not think they're good?

I used to have rubicon express monotube shocks and springs that felt stiff as hell. I wanted a smoother ride and people suggested the Rancho RS9000XL's, so I got those. It was a slight improvement but ride is still stiff. Do you happen to think Fox are smoother?
Good eye. I worked at O'Riley's for 2 years and the most warranted out shock was always Rancho's; even the adjustable 9000's. I saw plenty of thm blown out or leaking after 3-8 months. Even a few where the mount tabs would rip off the shock body too. IMHO, they're not well built. Without going into extreme detail, there's far better options out there. Yes the fox shocks are going to be much smoother and overall better riding especially when pushing them off road.

Ranchos are a twin tube shock, so there's an outer wall that's either oil/nitrogen filled. Twin tube shocks in a lot of ways aren't as good as a mono tube shock. Higher end shocks like Fox/Bilsten etc are monotube. There's pros/cons for each, but in general mono tubes are more consistent and better performing. Compared to a stock shock or 90% of the other shocks you'd find at Autozone or O'Riley's they're definitely better.However, when you compare them to higher end shocks like ones I listed, they just don't hold up or perform the same. Rancho's are a decent bang for the buck, compared to other lower end priced shocks, but there's far better options out there if you spend a bit more $.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Have to add similar sentiments about Ranchos - they don't last and aren't worth it. I've had them on multiple vehicles and different models - all with similar results. Ran the 9000s on my Jeep - aside from the piss poor adjusters, they ran hot and faded early. Early onset of fading, with noticeable decrease in performance after only a few 10ks was the common trait whether it was the suburban, the Blazer or the Jeep. For a while, I ran Monroe sensatracs and they were far better than stock or the ranchos. I run fox now.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts