Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V2 should be much more exciting than V1 as I have learned a lot, I have much better tools and I am trying some new things... ;)

Goals
LOUD, but still maintain a high level of sound quality

Configuration
Active 3way up front and one sub in the trunk

Budget
Max $10,000

Components
Signal - Fiio X5 digital audio player
Amps - Mmats Hifi6150 & M2000.2 (150 watts rms to each speaker and 2,000 rms to the sub @ 2ohm)
Processor - MiniDSP 8x12 with DIRAC LIVE
Speakers - AudioFrog GB10s, GB25s, GB60s (this might change depending on fit)
Subwoofer - Hutchinson Audio NDFEB 1 -10" (1 ohm DVC, 2,000 watt rms handling)

Connections
Stinger 9000 RCAs
Stinger Pro speaker wire
Stinger Pro power wire

Sound Deadening
Soundskins & Stinger RoadKill

Fabrication
Ported sub box built and tuned to spec
Modified Metra dash pod to fit 6.5"s
Amp rack & lighting in the trunk
Dash insert for mids & tweeters

The Jeep

The Equipment

·
Registered
467 Posts
following

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention, the amps and the sub are handmade in the USA! To the extent possible, I am trying to buy equipment that isn't made in China, and IS preferably made here. That is one of the reasons I am not 100% on using the AudioFrogs, and I am still looking at other speakers that would work in this build...
I might go with Morels that are handmade in Israel.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
14 Posts
V2 should be much more exciting than V1 as I have learned a lot, I have much better tools and I am trying some new things... ;)

Goals
LOUD, but still maintain a high level of sound quality

Configuration
Active 3way up front and one sub in the trunk

Budget
Max $10,000

Components
Signal - Fiio X5 digital audio player
Amps - Mmats Hifi6150 & M2000.2 (150 watts rms to each speaker and 2,000 rms to the sub @ 2ohm)
Processor - MiniDSP 8x12 with DIRAC LIVE
Speakers - AudioFrog GB10s, GB25s, GB60s (this might change depending on fit)
Subwoofer - Hutchinson Audio NDFEB 1 -10" (1 ohm DVC, 2,000 watt rms handling)

Connections
Stinger 9000 RCAs
Stinger Pro speaker wire
Stinger Pro power wire

Sound Deadening
Soundskins & Stinger RoadKill

Fabrication
Ported sub box built and tuned to spec
Modified Metra dash pod to fit 6.5"s
Amp rack & lighting in the trunk
Dash insert for mids & tweeters

The Jeep

The Equipment

Looking forward to see how this build comes out. What head unit are you going with?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the concept and design for the sub box mostly figured out... I just need to narrow down the exact dimensions and port size and tune.

Here is my first rough sketch where I threw my idea on "paper"

A little bit better of a description

I'll add some detail to the body of the box, by making it in separate panels, and then carpet and tuck them before assembly... The sideways L shaped panel gap will have a strip of aluminum bent and pushed in between them to sorta outline the box and bring more attention to the fact that it is cantilevered-ish.

The support on the hanging side will come from 2 aluminum legs that will be bolted to the body of the Jeep, but they won't be visible at first glance.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Btw, could the amps fit more perfect in that storage bin?!?! I was ecstatic to discover that! :bop:

Below the amps is plenty of room for the dsp and all of the wiring and connections...

Not often do things just fall into place so perfectly like this!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drawing out the amp rack...

0 gauge from the battery to a distribution block and then 4 gauge to each amp. Only OFC, Knukonceptz Kolossus wire will do. ;)

I decided to run the power wire under the Jeep (on the outside), rather than through the interior and it will enter through a hole in the plastic tub.

·
Registered
467 Posts
any new progress to share? would like to see the exterior power lines.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
any new progress to share? would like to see the exterior power lines.
I haven't run the power/ground cables yet... Still gathering equipment and checking fitment.

The Morel Elate mids dropped into the dash as if they were made for it:

The Morel supplied tweeter pods also look great and will mount to the factory grill:

I also got the Metra pods and the 6.5" almost fits... I'll do to a little trimming and then make a baffle for it. The pod will be vented with an aperiodic vent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You'll have to excuse me... I didn't recognize your avatar on here. I'm used to seeing a different one on DIYMA.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build. :cool:

I threw some Hertz 3.5's in the front and back, but it almost feels like a step backwards. Mids/highs are clear, but because they are more efficient and 4 ohm drivers, they dominate the 4" drivers and don't blend worth a damn. Gonna have to do something different to make it work.

Mark

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You'll have to excuse me... I didn't recognize your avatar on here. I'm used to seeing a different one on DIYMA.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build. :cool:

I threw some Hertz 3.5's in the front and back, but it almost feels like a step backwards. Mids/highs are clear, but because they are more efficient and 4 ohm drivers, they dominate the 4" drivers and don't blend worth a damn. Gonna have to do something different to make it work.

Mark
Haha, yep that's my avatar on audio forums...

I imagine those 4" dash pods will always be the weakest link. I am going to leave the soundbar alone this time around (I put rear fill in there in my JK) and really focus on making a really strong 3way front stage.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Haha, yep that's my avatar on audio forums...

I imagine those 4" dash pods will always be the weakest link. I am going to leave the soundbar alone this time around (I put rear fill in there in my JK) and really focus on making a really strong 3way front stage.
Hey buddy, trying to follow you but can't find the follow feature? Help an idiot out here, where is it?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts