Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a few pics of a JL 2 door today. Several of them pulled into a local gas station. 3rd or 4th I've seen. Lot's of sightings in Metro Detroit.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Blizzard-Camoflage Paint

They call that paint : " Blizzard-Camoflage " ; you can sneak up in a blizzard . What did the Chrysler driver at the gas station tell you ? :bop:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They call that paint : " Blizzard-Camoflage " ; you can sneak up in a blizzard . What did the Chrysler driver at the gas station tell you ? :bop:
Something to the effect of "NO PICTURES" LOL. Damage was done by then, however.

·
Super Moderator
23,238 Posts
Something to the effect of "NO PICTURES" LOL. Damage was done by then, however.
considering there is no legal way to stop you from taking photos when it is in a public place LOL. Next time crawl underneath it. Was he getting gas or diesel LOL No that would be a good rumor to start.

Reactions: Maddening

·
Registered
60 Posts
Good to see Jeep has dropped the OEM GY Wrangler SRA tires in favor of Michelin. Still not loving the flat windshield.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What size are those tires?

And why is it running Michelin Defenders? I doubt those will be stock tires on any model.

OP: Are the original pictures in higher resolution? Are you able to read the tire size off of them?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Those aren't Defenders. They are LTX MS or MS2. Judging by the type and size of the tires, I'd say this is a lower trim model. There is no reason these can't be stock tires. They have good road manners and are decent offroad and in snow. They might be an upgrade though.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Hard to tell, but the front axle doesn't look like a 30 or 44.
Actually, as mentioned in a previous mule/thread, the front axle (and accompanying rear) looks like it has a 6-bolt lower half like a Chrysler 9.25, however this is likely a Dana update built at their new Toledo plant specifically for the JL & JT.

The previous Dana with a 12-bolt pattern was the Dana 28 , it would be interesting if the re-awakened the x8 axle naming with a new Dana 48.

I would think the base JL gets a more pedestrian version, but the Rubicon/Recon & JT would get the new sturdier axle which is hopefully even more of an improvement over the current recon update.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What size are those tires?

And why is it running Michelin Defenders? I doubt those will be stock tires on any model.

OP: Are the original pictures in higher resolution? Are you able to read the tire size off of them?
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, they are 245 75R17

A tag on the dashboard indicated they were doing fuel economy testing so I'd guess those are going to be production tires...?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If Cwilli is correct and they become the standard, that would be a good thing as the base GY Wrangler SRAs are terrible, these are better in bad conditions, despite both being 'all-season' not 'all-weather', and their durability seems much higher too with 145,000KM/90K miles rating that would outlast many people's original-purchase Wrangler ownership.

This seems like a pretty good choice for the on-road-warriors that rarely see even a soft-road. I'd still prefer the GY W Adventure or even the SilentArmors I just put 17,000KMs on in July for my tarmac duties because I do see logging roads and mild trails on those overland treks... but these are a good 'entry level' tyre, and I think would have much better road manners than both the SRAs and the Duellers, especially over time, and in cooler weather.

Reactions: old8tora

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, they are 245 75R17

A tag on the dashboard indicated they were doing fuel economy testing so I'd guess those are going to be production tires...?
Oh no, that's terrible. I hope they go with a larger size stock.

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Great post by GreatGrapeApe ... Thanks

Great post by GreatGrapeApe , except his thought that '90k tire miles will outlast most original Wrangler owners' ; They won't outlast me , because I'm going to be a lot higher than 90k miles . In fact , my Toyos are excellent , but when it gets time , maybe I'll upgrade to Michelins for the ride .:bop:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yeah I say most, because let's be realistic, most 'original owners' are gonna swap out at warranty, heck even I'm guilty of that after the extended warranty.

There will be many who have 100K+ Wranglers, but they are still in the minority... a BIG minority, but like somewhere in the 20-30% range is my guess.

Heck I would think most of the big mileage Wranglers are ones that started their first 30-50,000 with someone and then it did it's next 100,000+ with the second owner / entusiast who knew how to keep her running and make the most of her afterwards.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
If Cwilli is correct and they become the standard, that would be a good thing as the base GY Wrangler SRAs are terrible, these are better in bad conditions, despite both being 'all-season' not 'all-weather', and their durability seems much higher too with 145,000KM/90K miles rating that would outlast many people's original-purchase Wrangler ownership.
Actually, these tires are LTX M/S2 (you can tell by the 4th picture in the first post). Michelin only warranties them for 70k miles. That's not to say they won't see 90k miles, but they only guarantee 70k.

The true Michelin Defenders are warrantied for 90k, but those are Passenger Car/Minivan tires, whereas the LTX M/S2 are light truck tires. That said, the Wrangler will perform better with the LTX M/S2.

This seems like a pretty good choice for the on-road-warriors that rarely see even a soft-road. I'd still prefer the GY W Adventure or even the SilentArmors I just put 17,000KMs on in July for my tarmac duties because I do see logging roads and mild trails on those overland treks... but these are a good 'entry level' tyre, and I think would have much better road manners than both the SRAs and the Duellers, especially over time, and in cooler weather.
On Tire Rack, the LTX M/S2 are rated #4 out of 36 for highway all seasons. Compare that to the Wrangler ST (which is the stock tire on a base JK Sport) which is #36 out of 36 in the same category. This is a huge upgrade. The LTX M/S2 are about as close to a off-road/winter tire that you can get with an all season tire. Very good choice.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M/S2

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Actually, these tires are LTX M/S2 (you can tell by the 4th picture in the first post). Michelin only warranties them for 70k miles. That's not to say they won't see 90k miles, but they only guarantee 70k.
Ok, was just going off the Defender description on their website here which says 140,000KMs, didn't know there was a sub-section for the M/S2, which looking deeper now it's 115,000KMs so we get an extra 1,875 miles over Americans, WooHoo !! ;)

The true Michelin Defenders are warrantied for 90k, but those are Passenger Car/Minivan tires, whereas the LTX M/S2 are light truck tires. That said, the Wrangler will perform better with the LTX M/S2.
Yeah, not surprised as the ST and SRAs are truly mediocre tyres. Hopefully this will make them oess squirrely for new-to-wrangler owners who aren't used to the short wheel base, or for whom this is their first vehicle.

Also I don't think they are sticking with 16" anymore partly to allow for improved brakes like the BigBrakeKit which doesn't fit in 16", so I think the 17" SRA are what they are technically replacing as the base now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
What do you mean by 'flat windshield'?
JK curves back towards the A pillars ever so slightly as most modern windshields do (for obvious aerodynamic reasons). The JL appears to be flat with little to no such curve.

Should look better for the less than 1% who fold down the windshields as it will now lay flat against the hood.

·
Registered
34 Posts
JK curves back towards the A pillars ever so slightly as most modern windshields do (for obvious aerodynamic reasons). The JL appears to be flat with little to no such curve.

Should look better for the less than 1% who fold down the windshields as it will now lay flat against the hood.
The whole point of the windshield change was to increase gas mileage. If a "curved" windshield improved aerodynamics, dont you think they would have left it curved AND reduced it's deflection angle?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
That front lower air dam.... YUK. Just a little lower and it could be a squeegee for the road.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts