Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the rumors are true the JL is gonna have the new 3.6 engine start/stop feature.....here's the info

Im not sure if it be for all engines but if they put it in the base engine I would think so.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
It wouldn't be so bad except for this statement:

"We've learned that while the ESS feature can be turned off it will default to 'on' with each ignition cycle, similar to the way it operates on other FCA vehicles that offer the feature."

Without a permanent disable, this is just going to be an annoyance. Now there is definitely no way I am buying a JL, unless they have a Hemi of course. Even then, I would have to hope that it would not have ESS or there would be some workaround. FCA talks about making the Wrangler lighter, but then they talk about something stupid like this that adds more weight to the vehicle (article mentions the need for a larger battery and more robust starter).

I have heard that in other vehicles, you can take the vehicle to the dealership to have ESS permanently disabled. It would be nice to be able to disable it with a tuner of some kind.

The ESS might only be for the Pentastar though. With turbos on the diesel and 4 banger, it would not be a good idea to have ESS.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sounds craptastic to me.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Just what I want on an off road vehicle...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm assuming this won't work with a manual? Of course I am assuming there will be a manual :)

Cool feature, defeat looks to be a button on the dash, simple.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'm assuming this won't work with a manual? Of course I am assuming there will be a manual :)
Spy shots have shown a manual transmission, though a different transmission than the current JK. One can safely assume that at least the 3.6l will be available with the manual transmission.

As far as start stop goes, I think the transmission must be compatible for it to work, so it may not work with the manual.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Personally, I would love this feature. I monitor my fuel economy religiously and I notice that I lose a lot of my MPGs while waiting in drive-thrus for food, or at traffic lights. This feature would save that fuel. It would be a wonderful addition to the Jeep for guys who daily drive them.

There will be a way to turn the feature off permanently, just like there is a way to turn the TPMS off permanently right now. The Wrangler has the biggest aftermarket following in the nation, and there'll be lots of options for this.

·
Super Moderator
7,625 Posts
The only benefit I see to start stop technology, is the battery has to be stronger, a bigger alternator to keep it charged, and a better starter to handle all the restarts. Other than that for me it is something I'd turn off all the time, or try and figure a way to keep it off all the time with no interaction from me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My daily is a hybrid so it uses the electric motor and battery to start the engine, works well (even the manual transmission version). Not sure how I'd like it with a 12v only vehicle as I haven't drove one yet, but I know they're out there.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,010 Posts
My Neighbor just purchased a new BMW SUV. His has this feature and he does not like it.

Your Battery must be of a high quality, probably expensive to replace. What about the wear and tear on the starter. It's a proven factor that most engine wear takes place at time of start up. Every time that you turn off your engine, cooling system temperatures rise. If you are stuck in traffic mid-Summer, what about your A/C not running.
I really question all of this..we shall see..

·
Registered
220 Posts
ESS is not a feature I would want. I didn't buy my JKU for great gas mileage. Also doesn't seem like a great feature when offroad. Hopefully it can be completely disabled.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My Neighbor just purchased a new BMW SUV. His has this feature and he does not like it.

Your Battery must be of a high quality, probably expensive to replace. What about the wear and tear on the starter. It's a proven factor that most engine wear takes place at time of start up. Every time that you turn off your engine, cooling system temperatures rise. If you are stuck in traffic mid-Summer, what about your A/C not running.
I really question all of this..we shall see..
Engine wear is at cold startup when oil has drained back into the pan. Also there are certain variables where start/stop follows such as engine temp, O2 temp, HVAC, battery voltage, vehicle speed since last auto stop, ect. The car does not turn off 100% of the time, and most people who have this feature have no idea how it works, are too lazy to learn about it, so they hate it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Its not like this is new technology, the developed world has had it for over 10years.

It works with diesels, gasoline, automatic and manuals. 2drs, 4drs trucks etc....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It wouldn't be so bad except for this statement:

"We've learned that while the ESS feature can be turned off it will default to 'on' with each ignition cycle, similar to the way it operates on other FCA vehicles that offer the feature."

Without a permanent disable, this is just going to be an annoyance. Now there is definitely no way I am buying a JL, unless they have a Hemi of course. Even then, I would have to hope that it would not have ESS or there would be some workaround. FCA talks about making the Wrangler lighter, but then they talk about something stupid like this that adds more weight to the vehicle (article mentions the need for a larger battery and more robust starter).

I have heard that in other vehicles, you can take the vehicle to the dealership to have ESS permanently disabled. It would be nice to be able to disable it with a tuner of some kind.

The ESS might only be for the Pentastar though. With turbos on the diesel and 4 banger, it would not be a good idea to have ESS.
I think the other forum confirmed it can be turned off with a button but agreed it sucks it will reset to ON every time you start it. I'm good as long as it can be default OFF until I want it but will need to plug in OBD device for that. I don't want to PERMANENTLY disable it. It might be good in a pinch to eek out a few extra miles if I'm almost empty while in traffic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The starter motor is not used with this technology to restart the vehicle - a more robust starter is not needed, nor was there any mention of that in the link above.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think the other forum confirmed it can be turned off with a button but agreed it sucks it will reset to ON every time you start it. I'm good as long as it can be default OFF until I want it but will need to plug in OBD device for that. I don't want to PERMANENTLY disable it. It might be good in a pinch to eek out a few extra miles if I'm almost empty while in traffic.
Yea I actually meant I wish it would default to "off." However, if this is not an option, I would resort to a true permanent disable (as in can't be turned on at all).

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The starter motor is not used with this technology to restart the vehicle - a more robust starter is not needed, nor was there any mention of that in the link above.
If they don't use the starter motor, then how do they start the engine?

A more robust starter IS needed because starters are not meant to be used this often, and yes, it is mentioned in the article:

"Enhanced high-speed/high-durability starter"

·
Registered
161 Posts
If they don't use the starter motor, then how do they start the engine?

A more robust starter IS needed because starters are not meant to be used this often, and yes, it is mentioned in the article:

"Enhanced high-speed/high-durability starter"
Mazada's I-Stop uses direct injection to start the engine, so there are other ways to turn over an engine without using a starter. Also I do not believe it takes as much energy to start an engine from auto stop vs the initial start as the computer and sensors have been continuously running and can quickly fire up the engine. So a larger battery and starter might not be required.

It will be interesting to see the tech the non-hybrid Wranglers get, as we can bet the hybrid version will use the electric motor to start the engine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If this turns out to be a feature on the 2018s, it's going to be interesting how this will work out when you're in the middle of some extreme off-roading and you stop to plan your next move for several seconds, and the engine shuts down.
I'm assuming that there has to be some way to turn it off, or if not, it could be unsafe. When you're making a tricky move over rocks or in dangerous terrain, losing engine power could be catastrophic, even if it is for a second or two.
I'm not that well acquainted with this feature, but I for one would not want it on my Jeep.

1 - 20 of 260 Posts