Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

241 - 260 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think this 'feature' may be a little easier to live with on a manual, at least from what I've seen, since you need to be in neutral with your foot off the clutch for it to engage.

Don't the pin switches under the hood have something to do with this being enabled also?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think this 'feature' may be a little easier to live with on a manual, at least from what I've seen, since you need to be in neutral with your foot off the clutch for it to engage.

Don't the pin switches under the hood have something to do with this being enabled also?
yeah, there are two switches under the hood, one for the hood and the other for the ess. They say you can just unplug it and it will disable it but you will get an orange light on your dash indicating it is disabled. No one likes seeing orange lights on their dash

·
Registered
49 Posts
The problem as I see it is the EPA....that being said gas mileage is a personal thing as is driver safety. To that end, my mileage doesn't change with or without it. I would imagine that there could be a simple software update to UConnect screen to add an ESS disable function under settings. Just have it make the light on the button come on to let you know it's disabled.

On the other side of this, it would be nice to not have to worry about the extra battery...yes there is an extra battery about the size of a Motorcycle battery under the fusebox. You have to take the main battery out and remove some screws to move the fuse panel and then there are a couple more screws and there sits a little battery. Wouldn't be too bad if the vehicle would start without it but it won't. in fact you can disconnect the main battery and still start the Jeep.

·
Registered
830 Posts
What if the ESS battery is dead, will the "normal" battery help?
If not, to which battery buster cables have to be connected?

·
Registered
29 Posts
someone jump in if I am wrong, but my limited understanding is that that second smaller battery would be a real hassle to get to physically, both batteries are connected together electrically, so you'd just attach booster cables to the regular battery ontop per usual . yes the big normal battery can start the car, been doing so forever. the little battery just designed to take the stress off all the additional starts the ASS does. the jeep will handle charging both batteries long term so don't worry about that. but if the little battery goes dead like totally dead need to replace it, you'd have to disco the main battery take out the box to the side(electrical box) and i believe it's under there looks like a motorcycle battery no big deal, just a time.

·
Registered
458 Posts
if the small battery goes dead it disables the ess system. Happened to our GC.
And if you don't mind the warning light you can just leave it like that. The tech said that is the small batteries only purpose.

·
Registered
107 Posts
if the small battery goes dead it disables the ess system. Happened to our GC.
And if you don't mind the warning light you can just leave it like that. The tech said that is the small batteries only purpose.
Thought I read somewhere that there is a voltage sensor/cable for the 2nd smaller battery that can be disconnected very easily that will disable ESS. However I have not tried this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At least Jeep saw fit to have an on/off switch. I had a Chevy with ESS that couldn’t be disabled. It also had funky markings on the tach face.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thought I read somewhere that there is a voltage sensor/cable for the 2nd smaller battery that can be disconnected very easily that will disable ESS. However I have not tried this.
This is true but you will get a yellow warning indicator on your dash for as long as it is disconnected.
If you can live with that you are golden

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was told about this from a serivce guy https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

I emailed them and they just tested it on a 2018 Rubicon and and testing on a 2020.

The Autostop Eliminator is an intelligent device that plugs into the diagnostic port or the back of your vehicle's auto stop-start switch assembly.

I have a Jeep on order. As soon as I can, I am getting one of these

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was told about this from a serivce guy https://www.autostopeliminator.com/

I emailed them and they just tested it on a 2018 Rubicon and and testing on a 2020.

The Autostop Eliminator is an intelligent device that plugs into the diagnostic port or the back of your vehicle's auto stop-start switch assembly.

I have a Jeep on order. As soon as I can, I am getting one of these
The correct link for the Jeep Wrangler product is https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html.
The 2020 version has been available for some time now. The Wrangler version simply plugs in under the dash.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have had that smartstopstart device on my 2018 JL for almost two years now, without any issue. I'm happy I have it.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Check out my Autostop eliminator review. I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
63 Posts
With a manual transmission, it is very controllable -- if you are stopped, put the vehicle in neutral, and release the clutch. If the other requirements of the system are met, then the engine will shut down. You pretty much have to WANT it to happen, so it's not as irritating as if you have an automatic. But then gain, having to drive an automatic is pretty irritating in itself.

I prefer to call it auto-start-stop... That way was can abbreviate it as "ASS" and can say that Jeep's ASS really stinks...

·
Registered
830 Posts
The purpose of the small battery is to feed the lights, steering, etc when engine is off, the starter is activated by the regular battery. ESS engines will start faster usually 1/4 of flywheel rotation. It has some aditional sensors to detect which cylinder to fire for a faster start. This will somehow mitigate the increased wear on the engine from multiple starts.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The website also got a wider flywheel gear, thicker flex plate and redesigned starter that was intended to have a minimum 100,000 start cycles life span. I found that online in 2015 when I bought my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk with the Pentastar that has the system. We still have it and it still has the factory battery. No problems.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
The website also got a wider flywheel gear, thicker flex plate and redesigned starter that was intended to have a minimum 100,000 start cycles life span. I found that online in 2015 when I bought my 2016 Cherokee Trailhawk with the Pentastar that has the system. We still have it and it still has the factory battery. No problems.
Due to the heat around here, I always have gone under the assumption that a battery will last around 2 years, whether aftermarket or factory. Interestingly, the Ram 1500 that I bought in 2004 ended up with a battery that lasted 10 years. That was a record, by far for me.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My first encounter with ESS was in late 70s, I was ~5 yo and we were driving in a Jeep-like vehicle and the driver would shut the engine off during long descends. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
The JL has two batteries. There's a Main and an Auxiliary battery. The Main is large and resides in the engine compartment right in front of the Power Distribution Center (PDC). The Auxiliary battery is small (about the size of a motorcycle battery) and resides under the PDC.

How the dual Battery set-up in a JL works:
With the 2 stock batteries, when you go to turn the engine on, it cranks, courtesy of both the Main battery and the Aux battery working together in parallel.

When you come to a complete stop and the engine turns off, (ESS working) the batteries are automatically separated from each other, and the Aux battery, alone, supplies necessary power to the vehicle (Radio, Fans, Lighting, etc).

When you take your foot off the brake and the engine restarts, the engine cranks solely from the Main battery, then automatically, both batteries are reconnected to recharge the Aux battery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My first encounter with ESS was in late 70s, I was ~5 yo and we were driving in a Jeep-like vehicle and the driver would shut the engine off during long descends. :)
Not all that uncommon for vehicles with manual transmissions, non-powered steering, and non-powered brakes back then on long descents down the mountains. Gas was getting around $0.50 per gallon and many cars would only get single digit gas mileage.

I bought a VW Bug around then that I bought because the '69 Pontiac that I had with the 400 cu + 6-pack would only get 5 mpg. Nothing powered on it and one could say that it had the "stop" part working good, but not the "start" part -- it seemed to always have a problem with vapor lock, so much that I always kept a spray can of starting fluid (ether) with me in the car. I definitely do not miss having to deal with vapor locks on a car.

241 - 260 of 260 Posts