Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
281 - 300 of 334 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
I got the Tazer mini in my Gladiator and it remembers that you turned auto stop/start off. Does a lot of other stuff. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I special ordered my JL (i.e. 2-door) back on 2018.06.08 and got it on 2018.07.31. There were not any 2-door models around here at that time and even the 4-door (JLU) models that I could find, none of them had a manual transmission. Given my age, the number of miles I drive per year, and how long vehicles tend to last, this will probably be my last vehicle in my life, so I was not willing to compromise -- I absolutely HATE automatic transmissions. I also didn't want a bunch of useless electronic gadgets like power windows and could easily do without power locks. I went with the basic Sport model, only adding the hard top, anti-spin rear differential (with the Bridgestone AT tires and Dana-44) , and air-conditioning. It ended up costing me a slightly less than $30K -- minus the $7500 I got when I sold my 2004 Ram, so only $22,500 out of my pocket. I don't do leases and I haven't bought a vehicle on credit since I got out of grad school a few decades ago.

I have no complaints at all about that engine though. Sure, it is not as powerful as the Hemi that I had in my Ram pickup, but it gives me all the acceleration on the road that I have needed so far. I've gone through the sports car stage in live and although I did like driving the Porsches that I had over the years, from a practical matter, the JL gives me plenty of acceleration, the ability to park it in a fairly small parking spot, a tight turn radius, and an acceptable cargo area for luggage or groceries. Plus, if there is a wreck or something that stops traffic completely, I have the option to drive across the grass strip between the freeway lanes and the feeder road, and hop the curb. That was most definitely not an option with the sports cars. Acceleration for me is just being able to accelerate faster than the car beside me from a stop light so that I can get in front of him to enter the freeway. Most people are a bit oblivious to the light changing, so their reaction time is slow, so I don't need that much acceleration to beat them. I only do this when there is no way to merge into traffic behind them.

You say "JL", but considering the time frame you are talking about, maybe you mean a "JLU" instead. On the other vehicle you owned which had that engine, did it have an automatic transmission? The shift points are usually set on those to prioritize fuel economy, so the acceleration might not be that great. Back around 1990, my wife bought a new Mercedes 190E. It had pretty poor acceleration -- so much so that even she complained about it. It was a solid little car though and cruised quite nicely (and quiet) at well above legal speeds on the freeway, but you had to drive it hard to get any sort of acceleration to it. My mechanic changed the shift points and the acceleration was noticeably better -- enough so that my wife quit complaining about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
[QUOTE="Lee Robberstad, post: 34839681, member: 1729163
[/QUOTE]
First off nice talking to you, yes it was a JLU, automatic with ALL the options. Fortunately I have been blessed with a great life. I made a bunch of money when I was a kid, (not inherited).I'm 76 now, don't owe anybody nothing. I have bought a new vehicle every 2 yrs. probably since 1980. I buy every option, ( if they make it I might need it sometime). We buy our other cars outright. My car I drive every day is leased. The reason for this I buy hard, no screwing around, don't like to dicker with car salesman. I will travel anywhere for a deal. With a lease, no trade in. I get 3 bids for what I want. best deal gets the business. Real simple that way. With trade ins they can eat your lunch. When the lease is up, drop it off at any dealer. Walk away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
[QUOTE="Lee Robberstad, post: 34839681, member: 1729163
First off nice talking to you, yes it was a JLU, automatic with ALL the options. Fortunately I have been blessed with a great life. I made a bunch of money when I was a kid, (not inherited).I'm 76 now, don't owe anybody nothing. I have bought a new vehicle every 2 yrs. probably since 1980. I buy every option, ( if they make it I might need it sometime). We buy our other cars outright. My car I drive every day is leased. The reason for this I buy hard, no screwing around, don't like to dicker with car salesman. I will travel anywhere for a deal. With a lease, no trade in. I get 3 bids for what I want. best deal gets the business. Real simple that way. With trade ins they can eat your lunch. When the lease is up, drop it off at any dealer. Walk away.
[/QUOTE]
Hey Navy Vet, Sounds like you got the kind of Jeep you wanted. It would be boring if we all wanted the same thing. Where do you live? Is it rocky country, muddy, snowy. If it is real rocky, wouldn't a auto trans. work better? I am curious what you use it for. I like to go out target shooting in the toolies. Nothing real hard. I was able to take my Grand Cherokee any place I wanted. I had a little Jeep for a while lifted and all fixed up, Not good on the highway, road like a horse.Talk to you later, one thing I didn't mention on the other email. With the lease I can write a lot of it off for business. If you use a purchase, you have to keep track of miles every time you drive it. Under a lease they give you more slack.
Lee

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey Navy Vet, Sounds like you got the kind of Jeep you wanted. It would be boring if we all wanted the same thing. Where do you live? Is it rocky country, muddy, snowy. If it is real rocky, wouldn't a auto trans. work better? I am curious what you use it for. I like to go out target shooting in the toolies. Nothing real hard. I was able to take my Grand Cherokee any place I wanted. I had a little Jeep for a while lifted and all fixed up, Not good on the highway, road like a horse.Talk to you later, one thing I didn't mention on the other email. With the lease I can write a lot of it off for business. If you use a purchase, you have to keep track of miles every time you drive it. Under a lease they give you more slack.
Lee
Like most people, the vast majority of the miles that get put on my Jeep are on pavement (unless you have a dedicated unit that you have to trailer to the places you go off-road). I'm a flatlander, so it might see some mud (Texas Gulf Coast area), maybe some sand if I'm down towards Galveston, and snow if I'm on a road trip up north (does not happen very often). Even when I visited Las Vegas awhile back the trails I was on were pretty firm and could be taken at slow speeds, just crawling up the steeper parts when necessary, often little more than idle speed. There's a place to the NW of Las Vegas where many people go off into the hills for shooting.

Stuff like this:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Like most people, the vast majority of the miles that get put on my Jeep are on pavement (unless you have a dedicated unit that you have to trailer to the places you go off-road). I'm a flatlander, so it might see some mud (Texas Gulf Coast area), maybe some sand if I'm down towards Galveston, and snow if I'm on a road trip up north (does not happen very often). Even when I visited Las Vegas awhile back the trails I was on were pretty firm and could be taken at slow speeds, just crawling up the steeper parts when necessary, often little more than idle speed. There's a place to the NW of Las Vegas where many people go off into the hills for shooting.

Stuff like this:

Stuff like this:

We are in Arizona, some of the places we go are north of Phoenix. One of the big issues are dry gulches get a lot of flash floods when it rains. The ground can be a little steeper than in you movie. They get all cut up, lots of holes and rough areas when they dry out. When we are up North in the Prescott area in the summer there are lots of old mining roads that were just old wagon roads and trails. Some are pretty rough and steep. I enjoy going into old mine areas when they will let you in. They are real interesting..

·
Registered
75 Posts
We are in Arizona, some of the places we go are north of Phoenix. One of the big issues are dry gulches get a lot of flash floods when it rains. The ground can be a little steeper than in you movie. They get all cut up, lots of holes and rough areas when they dry out. When we are up North in the Prescott area in the summer there are lots of old mining roads that were just old wagon roads and trails. Some are pretty rough and steep. I enjoy going into old mine areas when they will let you in. They are real interesting..
This area is really pretty mild. I only switched to 4WD for one small part of it because I wanted to take it slow -- just using a cell phone camera and no stabilization. I suspect that you could get through it in 2WD easy enough if you kept your speed up. This was not that long after I had bought my JL. I probably had around 4K miles on it at that time and that includes the 1.5K miles for the drive from here to Las Vegas. Since I was out there alone, I wasn't going to put myself in a position where I might break down, get stuck, or have to walk back. As you can see on some other videos I posted, the drive back is pretty long -- a lot longer than I would want to be walking with all the injuries I've had over the years from sports and motorcycles. I'm not a hard-core off-roader. My days of doing stupid things and breaking equipment (and body parts) is (hopefully) in the past...

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
Hi, neighbor, are you safe from the fire up that way?
Lee
Hey Lee, we are just fine. Thank you for asking! We have a home in Cave Creek, and a Cabin up on the Rim. But most of the area, from North of Fountain Hills to almost Rye is burnt. Nothing but ashes..very sad. Hopefully you are ago. O.K.?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Lee, we are just fine. Thank you for asking! We have a home in Cave Creek, and a Cabin up on the Rim. But most of the area, from North of Fountain Hills to almost Rye is burnt. Nothing but ashes..very sad. Hopefully you are ago. O.K.?
Ya we are fine, We live in N. Scottsdale. Just N. of the 101 and Scottsdale Rd., our other home is in Prescott Valley. In Stone Ridge. If a fire came I guess we could go stand in the middle of the golf course!

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
It is on the manual, but only engages in neutral when the clutch is let out.
That's the way it works on my MINI. If you don't want the engine to stop, like because the cross traffic light is yellow, one just leaves the clutch in. You kind of get use to it, and becomes automatic (a pun?).

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
My Start/Stop on my 2020 Rubi stopped working the day I retrieved from the dealer, after a PCM update. Maybe it's the battery? The Jeep only has 1900 miles on the clock.

·
Super Moderator
7,879 Posts
My Start/Stop on my 2020 Rubi stopped working the day I retrieved from the dealer, after a PCM update. Maybe it's the battery? The Jeep only has 1900 miles on the clock.
They might have done you a favor. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
What does it say on the Start/Stop status screen? If the battery is charging it will say so.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Going the cheap rout, I plan on unplugging the hood switch (I don’t mind the small warning sign on the dash) this will shut off ESS. Anyone know of any long term problems with this and can I leave it unplugged when going in to dealer for warranty work or oil changes?

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
I would just make a note to reconnect when I took it in for service.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I did not read all the pages here. But on some vehicles, if you have the tow package, ESS is disabled when it detects a trailer is attached to the trailer plug. You can simulate this yourself. Cheaper than buying a unit to reprogram the system.

Also, if you have emissions check, they may get an emissions fault if you have disabled ESS. So, it is wise to re-enable when you take the vehicle for inspection.

281 - 300 of 334 Posts