Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
301 - 320 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought my JLUR last Monday, and the next day I had an ESS system service warning. Took it in this Tuesday and it turned out to be the aux battery. Can’t believe it was bad from the start. Not that I plan to use the ESS system, but I didn’t want a malfunction on a brand new Jeep. Poor design with that battery where it’s located. The genesis battery upgrade is how Jeep should have done it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2019 Wrangler LTD. I took it in for service yesterday. When I picked it up the tech seemed knowledgeable. The work order in part - “inspected bcm data found the intelligent battery sensor state of charge is at 63%, for start stop to engage SOC has to be over 73%...”.

It is fully charged and working. I don’t drive the Jeep daily, especially the past year. I ordered a battery tender plus and plan to hard wire it so it can be hooked up without opening the hood. I think this will fix the problem. I should have thought of the battery tender earlier, I’ve used them on motorcycles for years.

I have read this and a couple of other threads but would appreciate any comments.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I bought my JLUR last Monday, and the next day I had an ESS system service warning. Took it in this Tuesday and it turned out to be the aux battery. Can’t believe it was bad from the start. Not that I plan to use the ESS system, but I didn’t want a malfunction on a brand new Jeep. Poor design with that battery where it’s located. The genesis battery upgrade is how Jeep should have done it.
What is the genesis battery upgrade? Also am interested in knowing if a battery tender on the main battery will also charge the other. Really hate how Jeep did this!

·
Registered
17 Posts
What is the genesis battery upgrade? Also am interested in knowing if a battery tender on the main battery will also charge the other. Really hate how Jeep did this!
On the YouTube channel “Jeep generation” he does a replacement of the main and aux battery with the genesis dual battery setup. It’s a slick setup that would be more usable than the factory combo.

·
Retired Moderator
103,209 Posts
OMG...that looks like a electrical nightmare, just ready to fail. And let’s not forget the cost..:eek:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yeah, I know of no one that would want to troubleshoot that. Looks like much added complexity for a minor problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wouldn’t want all the complexity, but would like 2 full size batteries mounted that way.

·
Premium Member
7,627 Posts
I have a 2021, JLU Sahara and my stop start feature doesn't even work some of the time... No clue why.
Use the arrow buttons on the steering wheel to scroll up/dn to the specific EVIC screen and it will tell you the status of the start/stop and also why it is not currently working if it is not ready.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Use the arrow buttons on the steering wheel to scroll up/dn to the specific EVIC screen and it will tell you the status of the start/stop and also why it is not currently working if it is not ready.
I ran some errands at lunch... This is what I got when I checked. Cabin cooling and heating?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I think it's disabled with air conditioning on. a/c compressor needing the engine to turn would be my guess.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, if the AC is on and the cabin has not yet reached a comfortable cooling level the ESS will not shut the engine off.
OK this is all starting to confuse me I guess... My AC was not turned on, and I had the windows down...

I'm just attempting to make sure all my features are working properly so when I make my appointment with dealer for the Wrangler's 1st oil change I can also get these other things on record to be looked at.

1. Start/stop
2. Backup camera
3. Dimming mirror

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
OK this is all starting to confuse me I guess... My AC was not turned on, and I had the windows down...

I'm just attempting to make sure all my features are working properly so when I make my appointment with dealer for the Wrangler's 1st oil change I can also get these other things on record to be looked at.

1. Start/stop
2. Backup camera
3. Dimming mirror
If your HVAC controls were totally off, and you got that message, then your BCM is f'd. That's not normal.

As mentioned, that message means that your HVAC system is on in some mode and hasn't yet reached the temperature that it's set to on the UConnect screen.

In the owners manual, there's a long list of conditions that must be met before ESS will activate.

·
Registered
376 Posts
If your HVAC controls were totally off, and you got that message, then your BCM is f'd. That's not normal.

As mentioned, that message means that your HVAC system is on in some mode and hasn't yet reached the temperature that it's set to on the UConnect screen.

In the owners manual, there's a long list of conditions that must be met before ESS will activate.
Can someone tell me what is BCM? The stop / start did work, just quit about a week ago...

Beginning to think this new Wrangler has got too much crap on it... Too damn many parameters!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Body Control Module.
As mentioned, a few conditions need met for it to work. If the Auto is on on the climate control, that may disable it. It might be fine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Body Control Module.
As mentioned, a few conditions need met for it to work. If the Auto is on on the climate control, that may disable it. It might be fine.
Thanks for the explanation! I guess I need to look, but pretty sure the "auto" in not on... Either way I'll probably have the dealer at least check it over, and he can either explain why it's not working, or working know as should because I had something set wrong.

301 - 320 of 334 Posts