Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
321 - 334 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sorry if this question has already been answered, or if it is kind of stupid, but if a Jeep owner has no intention of EVER using the ESS system (either by disabling it each time the vehicle is started, or via one of those plug-in modules that disables it permanently), as I would not, can you simply remove the auxiliary battery to be done with the headaches that it apparently presents? And if so, what might be any other secondary ramifications of doing that?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Buy the Autostop Eliminator for $85.
Jeep Auto Start-Stop Disable Use Discount Code GMTRUCKS to save $15
This installs in a few minutes(plug and play) and your jeep "remembers" if you like it on or off. (reactivating the ESS, just makes it function like factory)
I wouldn't remove the AUX battery.

I've installed three of these in my '21s.

·
Registered
467 Posts
This installs in a few minutes(plug and play) and your jeep "remembers" if you like it on or off. (reactivating the ESS, just makes it function like factory)

I've installed three of these in my '21s.
Thanks 5JKs!
Bookmarked for future reference, when I finally take delivery on my Jeep.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
If you take out the Auxilliary battery you'll get a light on the dash. Not a big deal, but maybe annoying.

·
Registered
467 Posts
If you take out the Auxilliary battery you'll get a light on the dash. Not a big deal, but maybe annoying.
WXman, would that be the only negative ramification of removing the auxiliary battery?

I ask about this, because I think I have read comments here to the effect that that smaller auxiliary battery has a history of dying unusually early, and causing problems with the normal functioning of the main battery. So if the auxiliary battery is only good for enabling the ESS system, which I do not intend to use anyway, then it seems like it would make sense to just get rid of that smaller battery ASAP. But if the smaller battery actually serves as an adjunct to the main battery, then it would probably make more sense to keep it even with a disabled ESS system.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
WXman, would that be the only negative ramification of removing the auxiliary battery?

I ask about this, because I think I have read comments here to the effect that that smaller auxiliary battery has a history of dying unusually early, and causing problems with the normal functioning of the main battery. So if the auxiliary battery is only good for enabling the ESS system, which I do not intend to use anyway, then it seems like it would make sense to just get rid of that smaller battery ASAP. But if the smaller battery actually serves as an adjunct to the main battery, then it would probably make more sense to keep it even with a disabled ESS system.
I don't know all the ins and outs of how the system uses the aux battery. But the one in my JL died and had to be replaced in less than a year. And that required a full "relearn" procedure in my particular case. So I was without the Jeep a long while.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I don't know all the ins and outs of how the system uses the aux battery. But the one in my JL died and had to be replaced in less than a year. And that required a full "relearn" procedure in my particular case. So I was without the Jeep a long while.
Well, that royally sucked! And after only ONE YEAR?
What the Hell kind of mickey-mouse battery are they putting in there??

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Well, that royally sucked! And after only ONE YEAR?
What the Hell kind of mickey-mouse battery are they putting in there??
The worst part is that the aux battery is buried down under the main battery and it's a bit of a job to remove it. The only way I knew it went bad is because my ESS light came on and the ESS function stopped working completely. Everything else on the Jeep was completely normal.

It was 3-4 weeks before the dealership got word from FCA on how to do the relearn procedure and get ESS going again. During the time ESS was not functional, I lost a hand calculated 1 to 1.5 MPG weekly. So the ESS definitely does save fuel. I mean, that's $20 bucks a month in gas lost by not having ESS.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The worst part is that the aux battery is buried down under the main battery and it's a bit of a job to remove it. The only way I knew it went bad is because my ESS light came on and the ESS function stopped working completely. Everything else on the Jeep was completely normal.

It was 3-4 weeks before the dealership got word from FCA on how to do the relearn procedure and get ESS going again. During the time ESS was not functional, I lost a hand calculated 1 to 1.5 MPG weekly. So the ESS definitely does save fuel. I mean, that's $20 bucks a month in gas lost by not having ESS.
I hope they've figured this out by now. Just ordered a new JL. I understand that electronics sometimes fail, but to be without the Jeep for almost a month.. seems crazy!

·
Registered
536 Posts
he didn't say he was without his jep for a month just that it took them a month to figure out how to clear the error code.
They run fine without ESS being functional, it doesn't effect anything but ess when the battery is dead

·
Registered
215 Posts
+1

321 - 334 of 334 Posts