Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Wrangler Sport 2DR with the RES radio and no subwoofer. Last Spring, I took it to a local car audio store and had all of the speakers replaced with JL speakers and a JL amp. I have kept the stock head unit, because I didn't want to further entice potential thieves with a shiny, fancy head unit.

If you have a 2DR Wrangler, you know there is zero storage space. I didn't want to put a sub in the rear and sacrifice what little room I had. I also had problems finding a compact sub that would fit under the passenger seat. I bought a couple and had to return them, because there wasn't enough clearance.

I looked at the JL Audio Stealthbox, but until recently, they only made one for the Unlimited. I just noticed JL has made one for the Wrangler 2DR. You have to give up your trunk to install it, but once installed, it only protrudes five inches from the floor. It's pretty much exactly what I have been looking for.

I'm seriously considering buying this thing - along with a 300W JL mono amp. Has anyone bought one of these? If so, I would love to hear about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
Looks pretty cool. Did you google it for reviews? Did you Try you tube?

I guess you won't really know until you try it out.

Does it cover the factory drain plug for that area? I would be afraid rainfall with the top off may effect it should water ever get in your jeep.

HAHA but when does that EVER happen haha.....ha.......

·
[]D [] []V[] []D
698 Posts
That's pretty cool, I would give it a shot if I could but for my TJ this is what I have takes up all the space, but I don't need to lug around stuff very often anyway...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called my local audio shop to ask about it. I think I'm just going to take the plunge. JL stuff is top-notch, so I will be surprised if its not good. It is expensive as hell, though...$650! Still, I'm tired of not having any low end.

·
[]D [] []V[] []D
698 Posts
Ya it is real pricey but I haven't seen anything like that before so stealthy like the name it is lol. No one will even know you have a sub especially if you have things stored on top of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got It Installed

I just got this installed last week - along with a JL Audio XD300/1 amp to drive it. The thing hits like a sledge, and it's virtually invisible in its fiberglass mold in the trunk. The carpeting on the enclosure perfectly matched the interior.

Trouble is, you give up your trunk space. I thought it would be a non-issue, because I was going to get some tailgate storage to make up for it. But, the sub sits up a little higher than I thought. I'm going to have to measure carefully before I buy a tailgate storage system, because the molle bags might get pinched between the tailgate and the sub when you close the tailgate.

The sound is phenomenal though. I have the whole setup running off my stock RES radio. I'm going to have to go back and get a bass volume knob installed, because the bass can actually be overwhelming at times.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Does it give you space back to the rightside of woofer, or is that for the amp?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been searching for something like this. How secure is it? I know having a soft top keeps me sometimes from installing a system due to how easy they are to break into. Is it bolted down or anything?

·
Registered
27 Posts
sub box

im sure it will work fine. i was looking at that one when i was shopping. i decided to go with the infinity basslink 10 inch. got it for 200 bucks and it sounds great. actually beyond great. it has the amp built in and it wasnt that bad to install it. i have 2 tens in my challenger and the basslink in the jeep sounds better. you can check out the pics in my profile.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I had great luck with a carbon fiber JL Stealthbox on our Exige. The box is tiny, but puts out tremendous bass in the small cabin.

·
Registered
719 Posts
look into the JL 13" Car Audio - Subwoofer Drivers - TW5

It mounts in like 2.5". You can make a small box for it. They dont take up much room at all.

The stealthbox is nice tho. I had one in a car about a year ago it was very nice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some pics for you

Here are some pics for you guys. I tried from different perspectives so you could see some better angles. The enclosure has flat bars attached to it. Those bars slide into the slots where your trunk lid goes. My bars are not screwed down or anything, so I can just lift it out of the trunk after disconnecting the speaker cables - but so can someone else...

The top part of the box is a lid that protects the subwoofer cone. It is attached via six or eight allen bolts. Remove them if you need to get to the speaker for some reason. With the lid on, you have a nice flat area for groceries, etc.

The enclosure only contains one 10" woofer. The other half of the enclosure is just flat. Initially, I thought that was JL Audio's way of providing you with a nice spot to mount your sub amp. My installer told me that was a very bad idea, since the enclosure's made of fiberglass. The amp was ultimately mounted under the driver's seat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
That looks good.

I actually did some research last night on this. I am probably going to get the stock pieces, and put a small single channel amp right on top or down the forward side facing the rear seat. I have too many things (Believe it or not) in that little storage area.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Storage Remorse

Yeah, I'm having storage remorse now. I was planning on getting one of those MPAC rear gate storage systems, but the steel backing for the molle bags protrudes too far and the sub would be in the way.

I guess that means I will have to go with the Smittybilt G.E.A.R. setup. I only need storage for a couple of towels and my Cloverpatch window roll. I think they'll fit in a couple of large molle bags OK.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Nah, don't have remorse, it looks good and extremely custom.

They make the front seat back storage too.

It is 2 tow straps and a dozen bungee cords in mine, no big deal

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I don't think that amp location under the seat is a good spot. What would happen if someone sits in the back during a snowy/rainy day and kicks the amp with their wet shoes?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts