Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you guys used/installed them? I've had a chance to sleep in the back of my U JL... about 5-6 times now. Camping/fishing.. no tent.. no cabin.. just the back.. and a thick blanket. And every time.. I notice while waking up in the middle of the night.. it's cold as #$%!. Do those headliners help to keep the inside of the vehicle warmer.. *when it's cold outside... and cooler when it's hotter out? As I plan to continue sleeping in the back.. whenever I'm out.. trout hunting.. I wouldn't mind a lil bit more comfort.. *if it actually works

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Yes. They work. Have had the Mopar and the HotHeads.
Of those two.... probably give the nod to the HH's for insulation value.
Glass is glass but...doing what you can do is say If you do it get the entire set.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
There is just way too much glass. Get a good sleeping bag.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm a hiker and a car camper. I've chosen to sleep in my vehicle (different vehicles) on SEVERAL occasions when the rain just wouldn't let up and I didn't want to pack away wet gear. I can only assume that it's the lack of ventilation and the increased humidity that creates a MUCH colder environment in your vehicle than in a tent. The only way to remedy this is to use good insulation under you in combination with a low temp rated bag. And while it sounds gross, peeing into a dedicated nalgene bottle helps too (it's like a mini hot water bottle - boil water, if you can).

As mentioned, the windows are the bigger problem so a headliner is only going to do so much. But here in Northern BC, I'm warmer in my tent at -10 than I am in my truck at +5.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
It is possible for the skin of the vehicle to be colder than the outside air temperature due to radiative transfer from space. It also may be higher humidity inside which makes it feel colder.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just installed my hotheads on a JL. Was 106 out when I did it. That black roof gets damn hot! Took it for a ride that day and insulation and soundproofing was improved. Glad I got them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts