Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I put together a mockup of the new JL with the retractable roof and the doors off, and wanted to share it with you. I made this because I wanted to get a feel for how open the retractable roof Wrangler could actually be. With the retractable roof being permanently fixed in place, I was worried that it would feel too closed in compared to opening the soft top. So here it is with roof open, doors off, and rear side windows removed.

Jeep roof and doors small.jpg

I actually like it much better than I expected to! With the doors off, I feel that it still will offer a great open air experience. Let me know what you all think.

P.S. This was made using pics from the Jeep website which show different configuration possibilities, but not this one specifically.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'll throw in another mockup with the doors on and the rear side windows removed. This would be doable away from home, so I wanted to see the way it looked.

Jeep roof and doors on small.jpg

Also, apologies for the double post. I am not able to edit posts yet. Assuming that's a newb thing :happyyes:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Like the look... but curious how that rear window will be with wind beating against it while going down the highway. Unless it just spills out the side openings ..... thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Maybe a quick release for the rear window hinges would be a good aftermarket modification take the window out, nobody steal my idea ... yeah right ... lol
:winner:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like the look... but curious how that rear window will be with wind beating against it while going down the highway. Unless it just spills out the side openings ..... thoughts?
I doubt it would be a problem really. At worst, it might create some strange buffeting, similar to having only one window open in a car on the highway. I would expect however that the wind would follow a path in through the top and out through the rear side windows without causing much trouble. At least I hope so! If they're hoping to sell this top it will definitely need to perform well, especially since it will absolutely be at a premium price point over all other available options.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe a quick release for the rear window hinges would be a good aftermarket modification take the window out, nobody steal my idea ... yeah right ... lol
:winner:
I have been wondering how difficult it would be to remove the rear window. I would definitely want the option rather than have to have it permanently in place. It's bad enough that the rest of the roof structure will need to be permanently installed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I doubt it would be a problem really. At worst, it might create some strange buffeting, similar to having only one window open in a car on the highway. I would expect however that the wind would follow a path in through the top and out through the rear side windows without causing much trouble. At least I hope so! If they're hoping to sell this top it will definitely need to perform well, especially since it will absolutely be at a premium price point over all other available options.
It's for Soccer Mom's Jeeps anyhow, they get what they want ...

·
Registered
874 Posts
for me, it HAS to be a 2 door with this option. i dig the auto top thing and would desire it but that solid rear glass would be a bastard. i like maximum air flow. is it fixed?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm wondering if the rear window buffeting would be reduced or eliminated by the airflow being allowed to release through the top and sides...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts