Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 JL Unlimited and have noticed a very loud booming sound in the rear. It's a very deep sound. It starts at about 65/70 mph. It doesn't matter if the windows are up or down. I've read other messages and board where the nose is described as a rattle or vibration. It's definitely not one of those. Does anyone know what's causing this and more importantly how to stop it?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have a 2018 JL Unlimited and have noticed a very loud booming sound in the rear. It's a very deep sound. It starts at about 65/70 mph. It doesn't matter if the windows are up or down. I've read other messages and board where the nose is described as a rattle or vibration. It's definitely not one of those. Does anyone know what's causing this and more importantly how to stop it?

Thanks!!
Do you have something blocking your tail gate vent?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not sure if same issue, but I have the hard top with Best Top Sunrider, front top for the summer. Whenever I get behind a large truck (mainly semis) it will create a thumping sound. My theory is it is the negative pressure pulling up on the top, then reversing down. Now that I know what it is, it doesn't bother me. Does yours happen in similar situations?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I actually had some thumping this morning at 60mph and I have a full hard top. I had the heat on so I don't know if the fan creates extra pressure that the gate vent can't get rid of fast enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure if same issue, but I have the hard top with Best Top Sunrider, front top for the summer. Whenever I get behind a large truck (mainly semis) it will create a thumping sound. My theory is it is the negative pressure pulling up on the top, then reversing down. Now that I know what it is, it doesn't bother me. Does yours happen in similar situations?
I haven't really paid much attention to what kind of traffic is in front of me is, I travel roads that don't have a lot of semis. I'm getting from the responses it's a pressure thing which is fine. I just wanted to be sure that it's normal and my top isn't going to come off. ,😁

1 - 6 of 6 Posts