Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a brand new set of take off wheels from a JL. As we know, the studs and lugs on JL are different than JK.
The lugs are much wider on the JL, thus the cutouts in the wheels are wider in diameter.
I put on on my spare using the original JK lug nuts and it seems to work fine, but my question is will there be an issue because the smaller JK lugs seem small for the recessed area in the JK wheels? In other words, is it safe to use the original JK lugs in my JK studs, but with the JL wheels, even though the recessed area in JK wheel is larger in diameter?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
One thing to consider is how the center hole in the wheel fits on the hub. JKs really like hub-centric wheels. In regards to the lugs, I think if the angle of the cone on the lug nut is the same for each, you should be good.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
If they are OEM take off wheels, then yes they are hub centric and the angle of the cones on the lugs is the same. There is not that much difference between the 1/2" lug bolts on the JK which are .50 inches and the 14 mm lug bolts on the JL which are .55 inches (less that 1/16 inch difference.

The size of the hole may be bigger because of the designer's desire than necessity. They are only needed to be large enough to accept the socket that fits the lugs.

There are a number of JKs running around with take off wheels and tires from a JL without issues. They are a good source of less expensive tires with good remaining life and a different set of wheels. Most times you can get 5 wheels with tires for less than you would have to pay for tires alone.

Reactions: Rancho

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If they are OEM take off wheels, then yes they are hub centric and the angle of the cones on the lugs is the same. There is not that much difference between the 1/2" lug bolts on the JK which are .50 inches and the 14 mm lug bolts on the JL which are .55 inches (less that 1/16 inch difference.

The size of the hole may be bigger because of the designer's desire than necessity. They are only needed to be large enough to accept the socket that fits the lugs.

There are a number of JKs running around with take off wheels and tires from a JL without issues. They are a good source of less expensive tires with good remaining life and a different set of wheels. Most times you can get 5 wheels with tires for less than you would have to pay for tires alone.
Thanks, I think this covers my question. Here is a photo of the spare with the JK lugs. See how much larger the lug area is?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Below is a photo of the stock Recon style wheels on my 2017 Chief. The recess for the lug nut looks similar to the ones on your JL Rubicon take offs. I measured them and the recess is about 1 3/8 inches.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts