Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi; Noob here...Just got my first Jeep, a 18 JLU Sport S in Sting Gray!

Been reading reading reading, and I'm still not sure how large of a new tire I can put on my new ride with 17" stock rims without a lift kit (I have a lease...for now). :pullinghair:

I realize there's the JK thread and a number of smaller threads that seem to quickly go down the path of "I lifted the truck and put way bigger aftermarket wheels on and huge tires" so I'm still confused, and don't want to chunk big money at this or have an Uh-oh moment. So pretty please park the flamethrowers.

I'd like a decent look without rubbing the fenders or suspension bits. 17" Rims will help with softer ride both on the pavement and at low pressure on the dunes.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

275/70 R17's (32.2 x 10.8)

295/70 17 (33 x 11.4)

285/75 17 (33.8 x 11.2)

Do straight 33's work, if so, how wide to go on those stock rims?
The tallest shown on the discounttire.com site is 275/70, which is only 32.2"

Is there a similar size that is a better deal? I'm betting 33's are max w/o lift, but can someone confirm cuz I've read some fails.

Thanks for the great posts I've read, and looking forward to more.:worthy:

·
Registered
756 Posts
You may find a bit more info or responses in the JL specific forum since you don't seem to be getting much action here. Or maybe even other JL specific sites, as so far anyways this one seems to remain pretty heavily dominated by JK owners, and the older generations.

I'm one of the JK guys so don't know much about the JL, but at the least I think any size tire that fits a JK should also fit a JL. 33" is tallest on a stock JK, and going wider than stock like 285s or up requires wheels spacers (which are no big deal to install and not terribly expensive).

I know the JL Rubicon can run 35s without a lift due to bigger fender flares and a slightly higher ride height than the other trims, but maybe even the JL Sports have higher fenders than the JKs allowing a slightly taller tire. But I'm just speculating on that, I've done zero research.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi; Noob here...Just got my first Jeep, a 18 JLU Sport S in Sting Gray!

Hey there, Cochise99!
I have a 2018 JLU Sport. I recently put on 285/70R17s with the Dick Cepek DC-2s. They rub a little, but only when turned nearly all the way. I have resolved this by removing the plastic cosmetic extension between the bumper and fender flare. If I had changed out the stock bumper for nearly anything else, I speculate there would not have been any rubbing. Everytime I back out of the driveway, the sound of the tires rubbing nearly raises the dead!
And by the way, the reduction in gas mileage is fairly significant. I could average nearly 23-24 mpg on the highway before, now I'm lucky to maintain 18 mpg...but they look good! An old friend once told me that 'sometimes fashion hurts!'. Apparently also true on the Jeep.

Good luck,
MLHARFORD

Been reading reading reading, and I'm still not sure how large of a new tire I can put on my new ride with 17" stock rims without a lift kit (I have a lease...for now). :pullinghair:

I realize there's the JK thread and a number of smaller threads that seem to quickly go down the path of "I lifted the truck and put way bigger aftermarket wheels on and huge tires" so I'm still confused, and don't want to chunk big money at this or have an Uh-oh moment. So pretty please park the flamethrowers.

I'd like a decent look without rubbing the fenders or suspension bits. 17" Rims will help with softer ride both on the pavement and at low pressure on the dunes.

I think I've narrowed it down to:

275/70 R17's (32.2 x 10.8)

295/70 17 (33 x 11.4)

285/75 17 (33.8 x 11.2)

Do straight 33's work, if so, how wide to go on those stock rims?
The tallest shown on the discounttire.com site is 275/70, which is only 32.2"

Is there a similar size that is a better deal? I'm betting 33's are max w/o lift, but can someone confirm cuz I've read some fails.

Thanks for the great posts I've read, and looking forward to more.:worthy:

·
Super Moderator
15,131 Posts
285/70r17 and 295/70r17... The 275 is too small and the 285/75 is too tall. 285/70 has the best variety of tires and is the safer choice. You may still have a slight rub in places.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts