Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So of this has been covered elsewhere - I did search - but hopefully this will end up revealing - or re-revealing - known info.

Assume JUL Sahara with stock wheels wanting to upgrade to 295/70r18 tires. The OEM tires have a section width on 10.2" and the 295 is 11.8" so this tire would be .8" closer the the suspension and .8" further outboard - in addition to being about 2.1" taller (a 34" tire vs 32" OEM).

There is one or two references to this in this forum and "other" forums that this works on stock rims with no lift - at least on the highway.

Further assume one does a 1.5" spacer lift (2" in front 1.5" in the real) or any one of the many 2" lifts one one kind or another.

Does that mitigate any potential lock-to-lock rub and maybe "mild" off road flex fender rub?

Now to my real interest. Is there any way of telling where the outside edge of the tire will be - front and rear - in relation to the outside edge of the fender? Remember stock rims - and I assume lift does not affect this - and that the cross section of this tire is .8" more outboard than OEM.

I have no problem with maybe a very small bit of the tire edge outside the fender, but don't want it to stick out like .5 to 1 inch or more.

Assuming spacers are needed, I see that well known reliable spacers seem to only be 1.75" - maybe one source for 1.5". So, if spacers are needed I guess I can do the math based on "no spacer" location of the outer sidewall, but it seems almost a given that it's going be poke out quite a bit?!

I suppose a partial help would-be for someone to measure how far under the front/rear fender edge the OEM tire on a Sahara is tucked.

Finally - there is a Nitto Terra Grappler G2 in 295/70r18 with a load rating of 116S. It is not labelled an LT so I assume it is not a ruff and tumble off road tire :) but curious if it would be a very (too) compliant DD tire and for maybe a trek into beach sand from time to time?

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the self reply, but doing further research I noticed that the OEM LT285/70r17 Rubicon K02 is rated, on tirerack as a load range C but also a service description of 116/113Q.

I do not know for sure - someone here probably will - but it seems like a service description is a more current and granular load rating PLUS a speed rating.

Load range C and service description 116/113 overlap. Speed rating Q is 99mph though I think that is a not to exceed over some period of time - not that anyone runs that pace.

I only bring this up to compare the Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70r18 which has a service description (no load rating) of 116S.

So, correct me if I am wrong, but the two tires have similar load rating - 116/113 vs 116 - and the Nitto speed ratio of S is sustained 112mph.

Wonder what the real diff is based, I assume, on the (lack of) LT designation on the Nitto.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts