Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the storage options I've seen are underwhelming and over priced. Some offer quick removal, light weight, no drill, but generally they are all high dollar. Most appear to be secure, but far from it. Anything may be stolen, but some of the offerings are simply unacceptable. This is why I decided to make a fairly secure no drill storage on my own.

Yesterday I was at rural king, which is sort of a Walmart for country folks. They had a 36"wide x 18" tall x 18" deep underbed truck box made by jobox. The box is welded steel and has a drill resistant lock that appears to be stainless, but I'm not sure. The box opens to the front and has a weather seal and cables to hold the door open. The box has a five year warranty and I bought it for the regular everyday price of $240.89 (which included $20.90 in tax).

In deciding where the box would be located I decided as far to the rear as it could be located. This is because I sometimes remove the freedom tops or store my windows in a kango pod (overpriced storage for windows). Plus, If I need extra storage I can simply lay down my rear seats and have max storage instead of a box in the middle of the floor.

I removed the middle cargo tie down loops and screw. I drilled two holes in the bottom of the jobox I think 9 1/4 inches from the front lip and two inches from each side. I took some old luggage screw knobs off my 2007 grand Cherokee (same thread specs) and screwed the new box in place. It is fairly secure. I could bolt it down if needed, but I don't think it is necessary.

The box is easy to remove by myself in about 1 minute. The box is a little heavy, I'm guessing the weight at maybe 50 lbs. There is 15 inches of space between the rear seats and the box at the floor. There is 8" of space between the rear seats and the top of the box. There is about 6.5" of space between the top of the rear seats and the imaginary top of the box.

There is no room for a cooler behind the box, unless the seat or seats are let down. I may mount some hooks to the box so I can strap a cooler or gear to the top of the box. Though not recommended a person could sit on the box.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guns can be stored, no full size rifles, but take-downs, rifles with folding stocks, SBRs, and pistols can fit.

I'm even considering adding a compartment inside for a subwoofer.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Guns can be stored, no full size rifles, but take-downs, rifles with folding stocks, SBRs, and pistols can fit.
Nice! I have 2.5 SBRs; just added the half, this last week! They can be fun for easy travel and back woods.
Jobox is a great idea. I don't think I'd leave any guns in it for any time (other than stop to shop real quick) but it would be nice to have more secure storage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts