Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the JT will have the same 3.0L ecodiesel as the 1500 Ram trucks and Grand Cherokee? That engine had great specs but was plagued by issues (more so than just EPA issues).

I have also heard that it will have lower towing capacity than the 3.6L gasser due to radiator cooling. The JT grill is opened up more to allow for better air flow and apparently it still isn't enough for the 3.0L so they de-rate it.

I truly want this to be a new design as it would be an amazing vehicle with a diesel.

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
I was considering the 3.0L diesel for a GC. After doing my homework I passed. There were a lot of issues with the engine and I steered clear. In the new platform I would let the early adopters report and iron out the bugs before jumping in.

·
Super Moderator
2,097 Posts
Does anyone know if the JT will have the same 3.0L ecodiesel as the 1500 Ram trucks and Grand Cherokee? That engine had great specs but was plagued by issues (more so than just EPA issues).

I have also heard that it will have lower towing capacity than the 3.6L gasser due to radiator cooling. The JT grill is opened up more to allow for better air flow and apparently it still isn't enough for the 3.0L so they de-rate it.

I truly want this to be a new design as it would be an amazing vehicle with a diesel.
Correct, the 3.6 will have a higher towing capacity than the 3.0. Not to say that the 3.6 will handle it easier than the 3.0

No, not a new design. It's the same problem plagued 3.0 EcoDiesel that FCA uses in the other platforms. Which is why I don't understand that people so eager to get one.

·
Registered
586 Posts
From what I read, supposed to be a "next generation 3.0 ecodiesel"
"Starting in 2019, the EcoDiesel V6 engine implements new turbocharger technology with a low-friction bearing designed for low-end and transient performance. The upgraded EcoDiesel V6 engine now also features low-friction pistons to improve fuel economy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide an enhanced combustion system – new injector nozzle, piston bowl, and glow plug with an integrated combustion pressure sensor to optimize combustion."

·
Super Moderator
2,097 Posts
From what I read, supposed to be a "next generation 3.0 ecodiesel"
"Starting in 2019, the EcoDiesel V6 engine implements new turbocharger technology with a low-friction bearing designed for low-end and transient performance. The upgraded EcoDiesel V6 engine now also features low-friction pistons to improve fuel economy, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and provide an enhanced combustion system – new injector nozzle, piston bowl, and glow plug with an integrated combustion pressure sensor to optimize combustion."
They got caught cheating emissions, now they need to actually comply.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
"Next Generation" only means they took the existing engine and revised several things. Emissions compliance is there for sure. They may have even bumped up the power levels a little. It's possible they even improved reliability though that's hard to say for sure. But it's still the same foundation as the old engine.

And I could see the benefit of having a diesel Rubicon for rock crawling. But with all of the weaknesses of the JL platform (axles with CAD, build quality issues, high price) it's just not really worth it.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,388 Posts
The Gladiator will have Rubicon axles in all models, so it will have the CAD. As for the diesel, I would rather have it for the mpg, than for it's towing prowess. The boss says she wants a Ram, I'll let her do all the towing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts