Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the backspace for JT wheels? Are all models the same? Or is there differences? Buying some JT wheels friday. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Exact same as all alloy Wrangler wheels since 2007. On the back they are stamped 7.5" width with +44.45mm offset (6.1" backspace).

Engineering claims that the JT wheels have higher load capacity rating, but when I put mine on the scales they weighed exactly the same as JL wheels, so if they're stronger then they must be using some weird new space-age materials.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Are they talking about the wheels or the tires being higher load capacity? I didn't know wheels were rated, I know tires are.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exact same as all alloy Wrangler wheels since 2007. On the back they are stamped 7.5" width with +44.45mm offset (6.1" backspace).

Engineering claims that the JT wheels have higher load capacity rating, but when I put mine on the scales they weighed exactly the same as JL wheels, so if they're stronger then they must be using some weird new space-age materials.
Thanks WXman. I thought maybe they would do something awesome like less backspace or something.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Are they talking about the wheels or the tires being higher load capacity? I didn't know wheels were rated, I know tires are.
All wheels have a load rating just like tires do. If you buy aftermarket, it should be plainly listed on the box. Factory wheels usually have it stamped on the back of the spokes somewhere, but not always.

They claimed that they upgraded the wheels on the JT to handle the 100% higher payloads and towing.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
6.1" is a lot of backspacing and possible tire interference. I am considering OMF beadlock mods to the stock wheels only if I don't need to run wheel spacers.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I read that a 315 and a 35"x12.5r17 tire will fit a factory wheel. So, I will keep the wheels on my JT! I love them already.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
so if you go with an 8.5 inch wheel you would want a 5" backspace?
Somewhere around 5.0" backspace would be ideal. I'd lean toward 5.25 or 5.50" of backspace if you have a Rubicon or Sport Max Tow due to the wider axles. Otherwise you'll end up with a lot of tire outside the fenders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts