Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
OVRLNDR
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going to be a quick, 1 nighter, leaving Boise on July 15th around 4PM from my place or Albertsons on Federal & Gowen to lightfoot bar for the night. The next morning will will run the forest service road that runs to Bald Mountain in Ketchum. We will fill up on Warm Springs Road, grab lunch, and head to Boulder Creek and the old mine before heading to Stanley to top off and back to Boise.

Last year on the third morning (near Lightfoot Bar) we had a moose run through our camp and was a great time had by all. Please let me know if you would like to participate on this prerun. I have attached a few links of prior trips of Technical Overlanding/Sun Valley Rally for those that are on the fence or do not know about the event.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f23/technical-overlanding-boulder-city-idaho-1343457.html
Topic: Sun Valley Road Rally – July 22nd – 24th, 2016 | Northwest Overland

·
OVRLNDR
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, that was quite an adventure. I wan to thank Rick, Liz, “LuLu”, Jason and Nate for tackling this weekend. We had less obstacles on the UTBDR than we did this day and a half run. I believe that we were about 3 miles from our initial camp when we came to Browns Campground. We had heard that they may close the road at this point and even saw a picture from an article posted just a few days prior but what they didn’t show in the picture was the 4 foot drop where the road was and the new path of the river begins. So, the road is the river as well as the river being the river. We ended up backtracking several miles to a spot that had bathroom facilities but not before buying a 50.00 dollar case of Coors (thanks Jason).

The next morning came too soon but we managed to break camp and head out for Ketchum by 9. We passed several road closed signs that had been moved to the side of the road and even a “travel at own risk” sign as we made it to Dollar Hide Summit with zero problems and things were looking good. We came down the other side when we experienced our first test of the day. A washout that removed the left side of the road but other than that was just fine. We continued down the trail when we came across a very friendly 70 something woman riding her mountain bike. She informed us that just 4 miles ahead was a section so bad that it was down to a single track next to the creek and just beyond that was a newly constructed gate with a lock on it. With just a little of 15 miles to Ketchum there was quite a debate as to what our day was going to entail. Did we turn around and go back to Fairfield and at that point be too late in the day to reach our final destination and the old mill at Boulder or did we push on and see if it was really that bad? With the efficiency we were experiencing so far this morning we decided to see just what was in store. To our dismay, there was zero exageration. The road was demolished and little could be done. However, we were on a mission and decided to press on. I do not have pictures but am sure others can post in here to show just how bad it was. We managed to make it around the trouble only to find the dreaded gate. It was indeed padlocked and had plenty of signs on the other side to inform you that it was absolutely the end of the line if you were heading west. There was only one option at that point……….go around it. Buy means were are not excited to do, we did just that. What would have taken a little over an hour and a half we made it to the Warm Springs Gas Station and on our way to the trailhead in four hours.

We had lunch on the trail to Boulder City by 2PM. The trail has never been worse. The bypasses are no longer accessible and what made matters worse was the extreme avalanche that took place this winter at the upper meadow and is still there. That’s right, there are fallen trees everywhere and even a mountain of snow over the trail. You cannot make it to the mill in your vehicle this year without winching back over the snow and trees. I did manage to climb the hill and get to the other side but would still need to remove fallen trees in order to get to the mill. On my way out, we had to use two other jeeps and winch back on top of the avalanche. We finally made it back down the mountain and aired up the tires at 6:50PM.

It was a great time with unusual challenges and I’m glad we did it but have to say that the Sun Valley Rally that was to take place with Technical Overlanding 2017 is canceled.

Please post pictures if you have them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts