Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Helped someone jump start their '95 Wrangler today but he hooked up the cables on his end in reverse.

:doh:

From what we can tell he blew 2 - 50 AMP fuses (maybe not), but either way the car still woudn't start even after we replaced them; it just keeps turning but not over - like its missing something.

Any ideas as to where we can start looking for problems?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Skeeter had a similar thread just recently.

·
Registered
406 Posts
:eek:ECM

·
Genius
20,963 Posts
Check every single fuse with the key on and use a test light. Don't just pull em and look at em, you can't always see the break. There is the possibility it could be the ECU. My friend did the same thing to his sentra and I think he ended up in replacing the ECU.

On a side note - One of my coworkers found a defective fuse on one of our fire trucks. The fuse DIDN'T blow like it was supposed to. The wire, fuse holder and fuse plastic housing(blade type) all melted off but the wire was still intact.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
ECM
Just cooked mine doing the same damn thing.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
still trying to find out if I can use one out of a Cherokee.
Nobody has a 91 wrangler computer sitting around for a decent price.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
so do you know if thats the fix yet or not?

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
so do you know if thats the fix yet or not?
I won't know for sure till I actually get a new one but I've been all over the thing and can't find anything else wrong.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
I won't know for sure till I actually get a new one but I've been all over the thing and can't find anything else wrong.
make sure you post up when you get that in, i wanna know if that was it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input everone.

Showing my ignorance, but what is an ECU?

Checked all fuses and nothing wrong with any of them - the problem may be a little worse than previously thought.

Took it to a mobile mechanic - guess we'll see. Group of Jamaican dudes running the shop. Those guys can fix pretty much anything - neccesity being the mother of invention.

As soon as I have an update I will let you know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
486 Posts
ecm replacement

Go by the numbers on the ecm some years are hard to find used. When mine went I hard time finding one at first. A buddys jeep was the same year.and drivetrain and his was a different ecm. I ended up buying mine through a guy on ebay who sells jeep parts. he was decent on the price and the shipping. if this helps his email is [email protected]. good luck.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ECM=Engine Control Module:blunt:

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
engine control module= confuser, i mean compooter, i mean computer. in case you wanted it dumbed down a couple more times. j/k :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts