Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I bought 35's for my jeep. My jeep came with a 4in body lift. I want to change that out with a 4in suspension. But I'm trying to stay away from buying any extra stuff(extended things it needs). I haven't place the tires on the jeep yet.
Can I get away with adding a 3.75in suspension lift with the coil spacers and then a 1.25 Body lift. Will that be enough for my 35's ? I also have 1.5in spacers on the wheels.

Or any suggestions on what route to take. (budget)
Rookie to the jeep world, learning as I go.

Thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ok, so I bought 35's for my jeep. My jeep came with a 4in body lift. I want to change that out with a 4in suspension. But I'm trying to stay away from buying any extra stuff(extended things it needs). I haven't place the tires on the jeep yet. Can I get away with adding a 3.75in suspension lift with the coil spacers and then a 1.25 Body lift. Will that be enough for my 35's ? I also have 1.5in spacers on the wheels. Or any suggestions on what route to take. (budget) Rookie to the jeep world, learning as I go. Thanks
You need to buy a ton of stuff to run 35's correctly. I will let others chime in , but it took me a lot of money and parts to do it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ok, so I bought 35's for my jeep. My jeep came with a 4in body lift. I want to change that out with a 4in suspension. But I'm trying to stay away from buying any extra stuff(extended things it needs).
Read around and you'll find out quickly that there is a whole lot of "extra stuff" that is going to be required to run 35's SAFELY! There is more to having 35s then just clearing the wheel wells and fenders. Like posted above, I've got a lot of money in "extra stuff" to run 35's the right way.

·
Registered
395 Posts
PS. Post some pictures of this 4" body lift. I've not seen anything that tall.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,391 Posts
There's a lot more to making a TJ ready for 35" tires than would meet the eye. Beyond the suspension lift/body lift, there are axles to be regeared to a lower ratio ($$$), steering to be upgraded/made stronger, and very likely a brake upgrade will be required as well since larger diameter tires are much harder to stop... they have a lot of leverage against the brakes.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
There's a lot more to making a TJ ready for 35" tires than would meet the eye. Beyond the suspension lift/body lift, there are axles to be regeared to a lower ratio ($$$), steering to be upgraded/made stronger, and very likely a brake upgrade will be required as well since larger diameter tires are much harder to stop... they have a lot of leverage against the brakes.
^^^This, plus you will likely also be looking at replacing a rear D35 axle with a D44 or Ford 8.8. and if you go with a 3.75 or 4" suspension lift, an sye, adjustable control arms etc.

I suggest you take back or sell the 35's if you don't want to spend the $'s, and opt for a Zone 4.25 combo lift and 33's.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WoW, that's more than I wanted to do. What I have already done is a TJ to ZJ steering conversion. Moog Brand, drag link, ends , trac bar, the whole front steering mechanism. Hopefully that helps.

What if I return the 35's and get 33's , any better ? If not I'm not in a hurry to do all this, so little by little I guess. (lots of OT at work)

I will post a pic as soon I get home. (at work).

Thanks Guys - really do appreciate the feed back.

·
Registered
395 Posts
WoW, that's more than I wanted to do. What I have already done is a TJ to ZJ steering conversion. Moog Brand, drag link, ends , trac bar, the whole front steering mechanism. Hopefully that helps. What if I return the 35's and get 33's , any better ? If not I'm not in a hurry to do all this, so little by little I guess. (lots of OT at work) I will post a pic as soon I get home. (at work). Thanks Guys - really do appreciate the feed back.
If your not interested in spending the time and money to make it safe for 35s, I'd definitely recommend taking the 35s back and getting 33s. You can run the 33s for a couple years and slowly do everything needed to run 35s.

Like mentioned above, look into the zone 4.25 combo lift, very common lift for 33s.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Sell the big tires and get rid of the 4 inch body lift. That is your best bet with a tight budget. Put your Jeep back close to stock.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
All good information here. I am building my rig for 35s but running 33s until everything is ready. You can spend over 5k getting it ready. Gearing, axles, axle shafts, CAs, TBs, Steering, brakes, SYE, DC shaft, tires, suspension lift, body lift...the list goes on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts