Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You will also need the charcoal canister and vent valve. The vent valve from the gas tank goes to the charcoal canister inlet, the other goes from the canister to the purge valve in the intake. The 3rd one on the canister goes to the vent valve. Actually pretty simple.
Good Luck.

I was planning to use the TJ canister, Novak didn’t mention needing the GM canister, is that what you’re saying or do you agree Jeep canister will work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
You can use any canister as long as you have those 3 ports. I just used the GM one because of the connections for the hose diameter.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
That's exactly the way I did mine, except the pressure sensor, as I installed a GM Fuel Pump unit with the sensor build in and 33 - 240 Ohm sending unit..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Test fit went well, Ac compressor rubs a bit but I think with grille installed and motor mounts bolted down that should clear up. Next up, fully weld in mounts, paint engine bay, ceramic paint headers, sye on tcase to mate with drivetrain, and fuel tank/line modification, measure for trans mount, fully install drivetrain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Looking good, you're gonna love it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I couldn't help myself, I pulled the fenders and brake booster so I could paint the entire engine bay and make it a little easier to permanently place the 5.3, hopefully sometime this week. Rustoleum professional is good stuff!

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Currently I've been wrapping up SYE install and gas tank modification (Novak fuel regular install and return line install, also gas tank pressure sensor for Evap system). Engine is in and looking good. Painting gas tank skid plate, then gas tank is ready to go back in. Pressure line is made, need to make return line. Install tcase and new shifting linkage along with trans mount and we'll be on our way to having a finished drivetrain. Wiring is next. Novak made my harness so I'm hoping it's relatively painless but nothing ever goes as planned.

I have new currie control arms/springs for rear that I guess I should tackle while gas tank is out, I have to change pinion angle since I'm moving to SYE so I'll have to lengthen those arms (I think I bought bushings for track bar and sway bar but I can't remember as it's been over a year). Front lift install went fine (I have a youtube video of it) but I'm not necessarily looking forward doing the back. But, once the rear stuff is done I can measure for drive shafts. In the meantime, I plan to get fuel and wiring done and test fire as it sits now to check for leaks and make sure the junkyard engine runs!

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I finished the tank mods and the return line, finished the SYE along with tcase shifting linkage, and permanently mounted the transmission. Now it's order driveshafts and work on wiring, I have all new fluids on order (engine oil/trans oil/tcase oil/engine coolant/power steering fluid) so should be ready to prime and test fire soon!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
That's exactly the way I did mine, except the pressure sensor, as I installed a GM Fuel Pump unit with the sensor build in and 33 - 240 Ohm sending unit..
Better question for you Manny, did you remove your LDP? I believe the LDP on the jeep has the vent valve on it (which is typically open) so if I just connect the GM fuel tank pressure sensor, purge valve, and vent valve, will the system not be able to properly check itself since it can't close the Jeeps vent valve?

Nevermind, I thought through this and since the vent is normally open, it will work just fine. For those out there wondering, the jeep system uses a pump to check the system and pulls air from the air intake to mix the fuel/air. The GM system uses a fuel tank pressure sensor to check the system and the vent valve itself has the filter on it, so they look much different but operate the same way. I now am sure you can keep the jeep canister and LDP as is, but you have to add the tank pressure sensor and the GM vent valve and purge valve (on intake manifold). I am not 100% sure if the two lines running to the engine bay matter on which goes to purge and which goes to vent, I'll still have to test that but should be easy enough to test by hooking it up one way and seeing if I get a check engine light.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
You will need the vent valve to be connected to the GM ECU, otherwise you will get a DTC and the check engine light will come on.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
WOW, great job. You started your swap after me, and have passed me. I hope to hear mine run this week. I have to get the O2 sensors installed.
GREAT JOB!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I have gotten a lot done in 10 days. I installed the grille/condenser/radiator, installed both driveshafts, reinstalled gas tank, installed auto trans shifter/linkage, completed all the wiring with solder, reattached the fenders, filled power steering, tcase, trans, and coolant, and probably a million other little things I can't remember now.

Last on list is bleed brakes, install gas pedal, figure out brake booster to intake (my intake was plugged for hydroboost so I ordered a Novak 1/2 to 3/8 adapter to run vacuum line), and I'm ready to test drive.

Last on list will be exhaust and A/C. I am still considering going with exhaust cut outs to give me the option to be obnoxious while having a mild exhaust normally. Still need to wire up A/C but length of lines will be determined by location of high and low pressure switches which aren't installed yet.

Overall, this is a huge pain in the ass, countless hours in the garage and a lot of $$$. Time will tell if it's going to be worth it!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I know what you mean. I am hoping to drive mine for the first time this coming weekend. Waiting on a replacement starter. New one did not last but a few tries and the solenoid give up. And I have to boost the tach signal by 12volts with a 10K ohm resistor before it will work, then I can reassemble the dash for like the twelfth time. LOL Still worth it!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I am ready for test drive, only need brake booster adapter coming from Novak tomorrow so I can have power brakes. Pedal installed, fluids full, all gauges work, ready to rock. Will upload a video either tomorrow or Friday with the results!

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Sure puts a smile on your face, doesn't it.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts