Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JeeP: 1989 2.5L TBI 5spd. :dance:I found a junkyard today that had alot of wrecked jeeps from cj's to now. I was just doing recon today, not looking for anything specific. Got me to thinking. If I keep to the 2.5 engine, what years engine & tranny will fit in my jeep? The little 4 banger suits our driving and light off roading very well. Finally got all the ccv system put back together correctly, thanks to you guys and the info you provided. We were hoping it would help with the blow by, it did but not alot.The shop done a compression test before we got the ccv straightened out and said the compression was quote"O.K." for the mileage 155000 + on odometer.Engine has been swapped and I have no info on it. This newbee stuff gets me sometime, I didn't think to get the compression reading numbers. Jeep is at the shop and they are going to run 2 different compression tests tomorrow 1 I haven't read about yet.He said its a runnung compression test, alot of this I dont understand yet, but I'll get there. Thank you all for helping>:thumb:

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
89Quest the compression test lets you read the current operating efficiency of the engine (power it will produce) and lets you know what items are showing wear when the numbers are below those specified by the manuafcturer. They can tell if you have leak down due to valve train wear, bad valves, worn piston rings or just a combination of all the above. So it is much like removing a single spark plug which also tells you a story by its condition. So good news you will have some more info to put with everything else you know about your Jeep and that way you can make informed decisions on what youy are going to do next.

Had a great trip Sunday 20 club Jeeps all wranglers, 250 miles in all about 75 in the dirt never had to lock in the front axle but had a great time. It was cool in the high desert 37 degrees at lunch.

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now thats a good time! Thank you again for the the ever growing information base Im compiling on the Jeep.Can someone chime in on what years engine/tranny will fit mine? Thats a great picture!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts