Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i wanna start off saying i have learned a lot from you guys over the last couple of weeks reading your post. i recently bought my second jeep a 2002 wrangler x 4.0l auto w/60k miles totally stock. i paid 10,500 for it. It is my dd and i will be 85% on road use with the other 15% being trials, hunting, and some mudding. my commute is about 10 miles a day round trip. (in college, just got out of the military) so my questions have been going back and forth from a 2' or 2.5' to a 3' lift and 31-33 in tires. I'm just not sure what to do. i don't want to go to small and want to upgrade soon. also would i need to re-gear if i get 32' tires? and if i get 33's with i have to re-gear asap? any suggestions will be helpful thank you guys!! and happy Jeepin!:punk:

·
Registered
690 Posts
What gears do you have now??? If you have 3.73s you won't have to regear right away but you will want to, the torque of the lower gears is nice if you go with the 33" tires....

Just a question what axle you got in the rear d35 or d44?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not sure but I'm pretty sure i have the 3 speed auto
i'll have to look up the axle

·
Registered
690 Posts
hmiller said:
im not sure but I'm pretty sure i have the 3 speed auto
i'll have to look up the axle
Chrysler calls it a 4 speed it is really a 3 speed with over drive and with 33s don't ever use over drive always turn it off to save the trans, and it is called the 42rle it is a peice of shit!!! I have one in my jeep and hate it!!!!! I have learned to live with it but hate how it shifts out way to early into top gear you can be cruzing along find and then it shifts and no power I am about to regear mine from 4.10s to 4.88s to solve this problem...

I think you probably have 3.73 gears... Being it is a X model and it has the 4.0....
As for the axle lean down and look if you have the rubber stopper for a drain plug in diff cover it is Dana35 if it is a metal on it is a Dana44...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well right now I am running 31 x 10.5's on mine and haven't lifted it yet. Since this one will be my DD I don't plan on going more than 2"....of course I have plans for another one down the road....with prob a 4" lift and 33x12.5's...... :) Anyway, from my experience (and I'm not offroading it at all) I have no issues with the 31's on there right now as far as rubbing. I think once I do a 2" lift I'll be very happy with it...and will have the look I am going for, but still be very driveable too...

I know I didn't really the regearing question...but wanted to point out that IMO 31's are a nice size, have a good look to it, and still very streetable...Like I said, I don't feel the need to go any bigger at all, and I didn't want to go wider either because I'll be driving it in the winter here too...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well right now I am running 31 x 10.5's on mine and haven't lifted it yet. Since this one will be my DD I don't plan on going more than 2"....of course I have plans for another one down the road....with prob a 4" lift and 33x12.5's...... :) Anyway, from my experience (and I'm not offroading it at all) I have no issues with the 31's on there right now as far as rubbing. I think once I do a 2" lift I'll be very happy with it...and will have the look I am going for, but still be very driveable too...

I know I didn't really the regearing question...but wanted to point out that IMO 31's are a nice size, have a good look to it, and still very streetable...Like I said, I don't feel the need to go any bigger at all, and I didn't want to go wider either because I'll be driving it in the winter here too...
what kind of 2' lift are you getting and will you keep your 31's with it?

·
Registered
115 Posts
What you could do is jump on eBay and get some 2" spacers for $50. Spend some good money on shocks. And some 31s. That's what I did anyways. And if the need arises, I'll end up replacing the spacers with coils.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What you could do is jump on eBay and get some 2" spacers for $50. Spend some good money on shocks. And some 31s. That's what I did anyways. And if the need arises, I'll end up replacing the spacers with coils.
can i see a pic of your set up? and what will be different if you get the coils?

·
Registered
690 Posts
You can get coils for a 2 or 4 inch lift and get control arms down the road.... So if you want you can get coils shocks and bump stops and get control arms later... For the shocks can't go wrong with bilstein 5100 series and for the coil springs 4" Rubicon express springs...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can get coils for a 2 or 4 inch lift and get control arms down the road.... So if you want you can get coils shocks and bump stops and get control arms later... For the shocks can't go wrong with bilstein 5100 series and for the coil springs 4" Rubicon express springs...
so the rubicon 4" express springs would give me 4" of lift?

·
Registered
690 Posts
hmiller said:
so the rubicon 4" express springs would give me 4" of lift?
They would get you close with the factory arms, then when you deside to upgrade to aftermarket arms just get adjustable ones then you will have the 4" lift... And you can do the slip yoke eliminator kit to the t-case and get ride of that factory driveshaft in the rear...

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Chrysler calls it a 4 speed it is really a 3 speed with over drive and with 33s don't ever use over drive always turn it off to save the trans, and it is called the 42rle it is a peice of shit!!!
Ease up there, Hoss. The OP says his Jeep is a 2002 model. Chrysler didn't introduce the 42RLE until the 2003 model year.

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
Sherpa said:
Ease up there, Hoss. The OP says his Jeep is a 2002 model. Chrysler didn't introduce the 42RLE until the 2003 model year.
Correct!! He has the 32RH tranny which, when taken care of, is a beast!

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
If you're in fairly flat land then I would go with the 33's, and you might wanna look into 10.5's, they'll save you a little weight

·
Registered
176 Posts
h - IF I do the lift....which I probably WILL :), I am uncertain at this point...but yes for sure I'll keep the 31's. I want to go very mild on the lift on this one....I think I was looking at a Daystar spacer lift...but have yet to research that enough...since I'm on the fence about the lift right now (and out of money lol)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts