Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your old enough (I definitely am not) to have remembered the reveal of the Wrangler name in 1987 for the Jeep YJ's. What was your first thought? Were you angry with them being called Wrangler? Or happy. I know i'm probably not the first one to think about this when driving home, so enlighten me!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Kinda grew on me...wasn't really sure I liked it when I first heard it. I was driving a 78 CJ-7 at the time, and didn't actually buy a Wrangler until 1989. My first new Jeep, so I was pretty happy with it and more willing to overlook the changes. The square headlights were the only real issue. But even they were likeable, after a while...'Course, we didn't have Internet back then, where we could b*tch about it the way they do now! LoL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Kinda grew on me...wasn't really sure I liked it when I first heard it. I was driving a 78 CJ-7 at the time, and didn't actually buy a Wrangler until 1989. My first new Jeep, so I was pretty happy with it and more willing to overlook the changes. The square headlights were the only real issue. But even they were likeable, after a while...'Course, we didn't have Internet back then, where we could b*tch about it the way they do now! LoL.
Thanks for busting on us "new generation" of jeepers!!! Nothing wrong with a little venting on a forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thought about buying a wrangler because I could have gotten a deal (this was 19888)). But ultimately decided the CJ7 was irresistible. Never regretted that! Hate the square lights! Figure that's why the round lights came back. I have been a wrangler hater (sorry) for years because everyone would call my jeep a "wrangler!" I would get livid, and immediately correct them that mine is a jeep, and square lights are wranglers. Now I get that all of us jeepers need to stick together. I feel kinda bad for wrangler bashing. :-/
So there's some data for your thread.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I started with a 85 Jeep CJ7, had a engine fire, picked up a 87 YJ piece of junk
(87 bad year) traded it for a 86 CJ7 still got it! later on I picked up a 88 YJ
ran that while I rebuilt my CJ sold the YJ.Still have the CJ7 picked up a 01 TJ
later traded that for a 05 TJ Rubicon. still got the CJ7 and the Rubicon.
Both are real Jeeps! Oh and I had a 71 CJ5 also. I think the later YJ's were
the best YJ's with the 4.0. But I never had one. Yeah I don't like it when people say what year Wrangler you got. When I drive my CJ.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have owned a DJ5 (postal type jeep), 2 CJ5's, 2 CJ7's, a CJ8 Scrambler, and now a YJ.
At first, I thought it was blasphemy to have square headlights, but it grew on me. I really like my Wrangler, but it is definitely NOT a CJ. Both are great Jeeps. And yes, I prefer the CJ's over a YJ, TJ, JK anyday. After all, you can't beat your fist love!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts