Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone heard of someone throwing a TDI diesel VW engine into a YJ....it just hit me that it would be an awesome project cuz those things have a ton of torque...and great MPG

lemme know

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I read somewhere that the VW TDI motors have a very finicky ecu that is difficult to impossible to incorporate into another vehicle, short of programming an all new computer!

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
i'd agree, that motor is so darn computerized it isn't funny.

i'm thinking about looking into an old mercedes diesel for the black one. obviously there's an isuzu, and the 4bt cummins are more common diesel swaps.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
ACME ADAPTERS Suzuki Samurai Turbo Diesel
You can use an older VW TD or convert the late TDI to a mechanical pump.
I think you'd be under powered for the weight of a Wrangler.

I've been fantasizing about building a Suzuki Samurai chassis with VW diesel and a CJ2a fiberglass tub.
I'm also watching for a 1.6 liter diesel for my Baja bug. Being a truck driver has given me a great appreciation for grease burners and my daughters school has a program where they make and sell bio-diesel. It'd be cool as hell to drive up in a diesel Baja or old Jeep to fuel up there :D

·
Registered
538 Posts
vw had non computer turbo diesels up until the a3 chasis(94). The first gen tdi had hydro/electronic pump. the newest are a bit overdone with electronics but im sure could be used.
ide go with an ecodiesel(last model pre electric).
i lightly looked into it, not sure about bellhousing mounting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts