Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently added a switch pod. It's the Apollotech style that's popular on Amazon. Install was fairly easy, and I'm pleased with how it turned out. Gotta few questions though.

1) Mine came with a 80A circuit breaker. For those who have this style of switch pod, do you use the circuit breaker or save it for something else? I wonder if it's better suited to use on the power cable for a winch. If it is, do I need to replace the breaker with an inline fuse with a fuse of the total draw from everything that's going to be hooked up to the Apollotech? How would that effect the fuse wire that piggybacks with the fuse on the M6 slot?

2) I have an ARB twin compressor coming (when it ships is anyone's guess though :rolleyes: ), It will be mounted under the seat. I planned on having the switch for it beside the air hookup. Would there be a reason why it should be on the switch pod?

3) For the most part, what other benefits would I have other than hooking up lights to this thing? I'm a light wheeler, so maybe just running two extra lines for lights might have been good enough, but I like to have room for future proofing and this thing was pretty cheap.

For those who have these, what other things are you running from it? Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have the same switch pod and I felt that running the winch direct was too much. I ended getting the Warn Power Interrupt kit and wired that to the switch pod. I like having my winch power locked up inside the cab.

I run 3 different sets of lights, winch power and plan to add an e-locker and aux power with quick connect/disconnects in the near future. I'm still researching aux power solutions and I'm waiting on re-gearing for the e-locker.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Some people didnt start out with a rubicon and use it for lockers. obviously an on off switch for the compressor as you noted which might be easier to wire into the switch pod but with it being under the seat it might be just as easy to go with what you want. i've seen some wire an auxiliary power center for the rear of the vehicle into it as a kill switch.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
I've got the same switch pod in my Jeep. Awesome set up. I've also got my twin ARB under the passenger seat that's hooked up to the switch pod. I used a new adapter harness to make it plug and play. This is what I'm using.

I've got the 8 switch version and I've got all 8 switches used. First switch is for my KC Pro6 bar, 2nd switch is the windshield corner KC Pro6 lights, the 3rd switch is for the KC LED Slim lights on the front bumper, the 4th is for the KC flex lights under the bumper in the skid plate, 5th is for the KC gravity rock lights, 6th is for ARB twin under the passenger seat, 7th is for my front ARB locker and the 8th is for the rear ARB locker.

Promise I'm not sponsored by KC I just like their products and I enjoy night wheeling lol.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I have my ARB compressor, locker, and my sway bar disconnect wired up to it. Seems to work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got the same switch pod in my Jeep. Awesome set up. I've also got my twin ARB under the passenger seat that's hooked up to the switch pod. I used a new adapter harness to make it plug and play. This is what I'm using.

I've got the 8 switch version and I've got all 8 switches used. First switch is for my KC Pro6 bar, 2nd switch is the windshield corner KC Pro6 lights, the 3rd switch is for the KC LED Slim lights on the front bumper, the 4th is for the KC flex lights under the bumper in the skid plate, 5th is for the KC gravity rock lights, 6th is for ARB twin under the passenger seat, 7th is for my front ARB locker and the 8th is for the rear ARB locker.

Promise I'm not sponsored by KC I just like their products and I enjoy night wheeling lol.

Gotta ask....why didn't you put the compressor switch by the air hook up? That's where I'm leaning towards since I'll have to be there to plug in the air hose in anyway. Plus, this would free up a switch for something else down the line.

I like the idea of a kill switch too for the back area. I plan on adding a couple more 12V ports back there anyways, so that might be a good idea.

Anyone know which rockers from OTRATTW I should go with? I hate to buy ones that won't work.

Thanks again guys for the help and suggestions!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have my ARB compressor, locker, and my sway bar disconnect wired up to it. Seems to work great.

I'm guessing you're running an aftermarket swaybar disconnect? If not, what made you relocate the switch, assuming you have an overhead switch panel.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I'm guessing you're running an aftermarket swaybar disconnect? If not, what made you relocate the switch, assuming you have an overhead switch panel.
I bought a used rubi sway bar and wired it up to my compressor so that I can disconnect from inside the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
Gotta ask....why didn't you put the compressor switch by the air hook up? That's where I'm leaning towards since I'll have to be there to plug in the air hose in anyway. Plus, this would free up a switch for something else down the line.

I like the idea of a kill switch too for the back area. I plan on adding a couple more 12V ports back there anyways, so that might be a good idea.
Anyone know which rockers from OTRATTW I should go with? I hate to buy ones that won't work.
Thanks again guys for the help and suggestions!!
Great question. The main reason was to simplify the wiring, running everything through the same loom to the same place was easiest. Second reason was to have the compressor switch right next to the front and rear ARB locker switches; it gives me the ability to reach up and hit all three in one easy motion. The 8 switch pod has a on/off switch on it so it gives it a main kill switch and it has a breaker switch under the hood so if something goes wrong it trips the breaker instead of a fuse or a wire.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Got an email from Quadratec last night. Compressor ship date (if they get any in) is no earlier than July 19th. 😟

I'm sure the other vendors are no different, so I'll just wait it out........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts