Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great vehicle and exactly what I needed!

Picked up my 2013 in August and just put 4000 miles on it during a three week trip to West Texas and New Mexico.

I bought it to take me on the almost unlimited miles of unimproved and primitive roads to get to the rock out-crops and photo locations that I have always dreamed of visiting. It did that extremely well.

It rained all the way from Dallas to Big Bend on the start of my trip and I did get a few drips from the freedom top hatch on the passenger side. It only happened when I had the A/C on the recirculate setting. It happened again on the final leg of my trip from Dallas back to Houston. There is something unusual about the way the recirculate works on the Jeep. The owners manual says to only use the recirculate occasionally and this is the first vehicle that I have owned that came with that recommendation. I wonder if the recirculate setting slightly over-pressures the interior (or vice-versa)?

I used the 430N a lot and it worked very well. It does have all of the trails in its data base. I followed small tracks all over the checkerboard section of the San Juan Basin. They can be hard to see sometimes with the current color scheme but they are there. You can select Points of Interests and Favorites on the fly while moving. There is no voice control and anything requiring spelling must be done while parked. I did run into a glitch while entering coordinates - if you are a N 30 9' 9.9" when you try to enter a new set of coordinates, you can not change the digits displayed - for example, if I wanted to go to N 30 12' 15.78" it would only allow me to enter N 30 2' 1.15". In other words the minutes and seconds would not expand to two digits before the decimal. You can work around this by only entering decimal degree format i.e. N 30.192053 instead of the degrees, minutes, decimal seconds or degrees, decimal minutes format.

The 3.73 ratio worked great for me but I see what everyone means about the MPG average displayed on the Uconnect information center. The averages changed much too quickly to be a running average but I think it did improve the estimation of miles to empty. I did get some very respectable mileage of around 20 mpg but I only drive at 65 MPH on the highways. Overall very good for a JKUR with the fatter tires and additional weight.

I only needed 4WD - Lo once and I was glad I read the owners manual on how to shift in and out of Lo with the automatic transmission. I practiced and can do it smoothly and quickly now without the gear mesh grind.

I was alone and very far off in the back country but I bought a nice satellite communicator from DeLorme that pairs with my phone and allows me to send an SOS with GPS coordinates AND more importantly, a message with coordinates to anyone if it is a breakdown but not an emergency. I still need to get a better self rescue kit together so I'm reading about what is needed for those.

The Uconnect works well with the voice prompts in fact the voice recognition is very good but as a system, it is not as refined in controls and options as the Sync system in my MKX. If you are an Apple fan, it would probably be a better experience. I'm an Android user so there are some limitations on apps/messages and music controls via the second USB port.

It was my home away from home for over two weeks and I can't wait to get out there again. Great job Jeep!

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a JKUR also with automatic. I have the 4.10 and about the best I have been able to get so far is 18 MPG. I also drive relativly slow since the handling is "interesting" in a Jeep if you are used to sports sedans (daily driver is an Infiniti G35). My frustration with the nav is that you can not use UTM. Once you have used UTM for awhile, you will never go back to degrees with or without minutes. We were up on a section of the Rubicon Trail near Lake Tahoe and the degrees marked on the map were so far apart that figuring out if we were making the right turn was imposible without a ruller and a tee square. If it had UTM we could have figured it out down to a few yards. Unfortunately I lost my cheap Garmin handheld, so all we had was the one on the Jeep. We figured it out eventially, but not before my wife scared the crap out of herself by going on a pretty difficult trail for a ways. We certainly used the low range and lockers to get out of that fun spot.

Just for fun while in South Lake Tahoe I asked the GPS to find the Rubicon Trail. It did not have it in its list of locations. Once we were on the trail though we did see that it was on the map. You would think they would have it be able to go to its name sake.

Off road the JKUR was great. Disconnecting the sway bar made the ride almost plush. We draged bottom in a few spots but every one of them hit a skid plate and not something that was unprotected. Someone thought about what they put on and where.

We finally gave up on the satelite radio and switched to my iPod. Aparently every tree in the forest caused the radio to loose contact with the satelite. Anyone ever hear of a buffer? With iPod connection, Blue Tooth, CD and FM we should be able to find something to listen too. That and the sounds my wife makes as we come down off a rock.

This is my first Jeep. I have be four wheeling a Chevy truck for years. I will never go back. This thing is incredible. The limits seem to be with ground clearance and my bravery. A lift will help with the first. I will have to work on the second. We never found anything we could not climb.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you had a good time.

I have used UTM at work but it all depends on how your maps are annotated and how frequently the tick marks are displayed.

I downloaded an app that quickly converts between all of the coordinate systems and formats and it got a workout on my trip.

I didn't like that the favorite locations that I entered did not show up on the display map unless I select one as a destination or a via point and then only the one I selected shows up. Between my Garmin Montana, 430N, and paper maps however, I didn't have any trouble finding some pretty remote spots.

I hope to be able to take my Rubi on its namesake sometime soon. I don't think I would like to tackle it solo though - with or without my Delorme InReach satellite communicator. I still have a lot to learn...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I forgot...

The cruise control turns off on a bumpy road like that terrible washboard they call a road leading into Chaco Canyon. When the ESP engages, it automatically turns off the cruise. Clever computer.

The Chaco Canyon road is a great place to try out how tight your suspension is. My jeep felt fine - tight as when I drove it off the lot, back out on Highway 550 after 50 miles of torture. I think a couple of filings in my molars didn't fair so well however...:facepalm:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like a fun trip! Congrats on the new Rubi. The mileage you got isn't too far off what i got in my recent 5 hour drive in my 2012 Rubi with 4.10s. I went 70-75 mph most of the time and got around 20.5 mpg. My previous long drive at 65 mph got around 21.5 mpg. What's so ironic about this is my dad's 2010 Rubicon with 4.10, also automatic, got 23.8 mpg on our trip going 65-70 mph. He rubbed it in until his throat was sore and dry. I just kept gloating how I had 80 more HP, but the burn was still there. :rofl:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that is great mileage for a 4.10 equiped Rubi especially if you were doing 70-75! Do you have 34s or taller?

My mileage ought to improve a little over the next 6000 miles but the new micro honing and finishing techniques are reducing the gains we used to get.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts