Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I managed to back my new 2012 wrangler unlimited into a pole, basically bent the spare tire bracket / holder (and cracked the plastic housing) so now the left side of the tire is crunched in and the right side isn't even touching the tire bumper.

The gate has some damage too, metal on driver side is bent (looks like from the tire pushing into it cause it's a "soft" bend going down the vertical length of the gate), but the mount position for the tire bracket looks fine, so thinking I can just replace the tire mount bracket and be done with it, current tire won't cover gate dent completely, but later when I go to larger tires they would hide it, so won't bother fixing it.

Called local jeep dealer, they want $300 for the replacement bracket!

So I checked Quadratec real quick and they have a bunch for around $100 or less. Considering I'll eventually be putting 35's (possibly even 37's) on this Jeep later I figured I'd ask here what you all would recommend to replace that bracket?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ended up giving my stock one to a guy who did the same thing. If you know someone who has went with a swing out carrier might as well hit them up for the stock one.
Unfortunately I don't...

Of course, I could be SUPER MEAN and swap it with my ex-wife's new Sahara...Would just need the time with both jeeps to do it without her noticing ... hmmm...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Call local 4WD shop and tell them that you plan on spending tons of $$'s modding your jeep in the near future and ask if they have any take off stock tire carriers that you could have until you're ready to throw down on a full new bumper.
If that doesnt work check the for sale section, should be able to get one for $50 max.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm certainly not opposed to a free or dirt cheap factory replacement, but at the same time, considering I have to get something done for this anyway, am kind of thinking of just getting one that would be good for the future as well when I go way up in tire size down the road.

Was hoping someone here could point me in the direction of a good after market one that just bolts right on to the existing supports, my main concern would be strength of course and "easy" bolt on (I'm not much of a wrencher)...figure it's f'd up now, may as well do the upgrade I know I would have to do later when I get bigger tires on it.

I don't care for the swing out ones, would prefer something similar to factory that supports 35's and even 37's if that's the direction I take it later.

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
I've got a factory carrier from an 11 jk rubi... It still has the wiring and light and everything, all you'd need to do is splice your wires...I could probably box it up and ship it to you for cheap plus shipping if it'll fit...

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a factory carrier from an 11 jk rubi... It still has the wiring and light and everything, all you'd need to do is splice your wires...I could probably box it up and ship it to you for cheap plus shipping if it'll fit...
Whatchya want for it (including shipping costs)??? And, thanks!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
orngcrushrgrl said:
Beat me to it!! I have mine minus the wiring. Shouldn't be any splicing since he's still got his OEM wiring. There's a connector at the light in the tire carrier.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Get the $200 Teraflex Adjustable Tire Carrier and be done (May be on backorder, check with Northridge4x4). Bonus: you can then carry up to a 35" spare without worries. Add the TF HD Hinges later to go 37" or larger.

And yes, the TF carrier just bolts right on. No drilling necessary. You will have to cut and mod your old 3rd brake light assembly to attach it to the new carrier, though -- it's explained in the TF instructions -- or maybe just go with something different for a 3rd brake light solution (ie. Delta Lug lights).

Alternative: I'll sell you my brand new stock carrier with light for pretty cheap... make an offer (I'm replacing it this week with the TF adjustable carrier mentioned above)...

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you do go aftermarket get the Teraflex not the Shittybuilt.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
GeckoJK said:
If you do go aftermarket get the Teraflex not the Shittybuilt.
Have you ever run any smittybilt products or are you disparaging without actually using said product yourself.

How's about a little background as to why you prefer teraflex over smittybilt.....?

I, for one have replaced both my bumpers with smittybilt bumpers. They have treated me great. I honestly think they're great products.

·
Registered
76 Posts
orngcrushrgrl said:
I, for one have replaced both my bumpers with smittybilt bumpers. They have treated me great. I honestly think they're great products.
Maybe you enjoy them. Smittybilt rear tire carriers are reknown for rattle and cheap builds. There is a reason why they are several hundred cheaper on the websites.

I came close to buying one, but I have a fab shop buddy and he made me an awesome carrier/bumper for a nice price

·
Registered
892 Posts
Have you ever run any smittybilt products or are you disparaging without actually using said product yourself.

How's about a little background as to why you prefer teraflex over smittybilt.....?

Not on mine but have a friend with a JK who got the Smitty tire carrier. It has had issues rattling. The Teraflex carrier is more money but it is of good quality. Honestly it is the only carrier I would trust on the tailgate with a 33-35" tire.

·
Banned
5,786 Posts
GeckoJK said:
Not on mine but have a friend with a JK who got the Smitty tire carrier. It has had issues rattling. The Teraflex carrier is more money but it is of good quality. Honestly it is the only carrier I would trust on the tailgate with a 33-35" tire.
I have the smitty rear bumper and tire carrier and I've never had issues at all. In fact, I wish we'd done it sooner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts