Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm glad to have joined this forum. I have always wanted a Wrangler but the wife and I have piddle farted around with buying VW Jettas and such. They're nice cars and all but I wanted something more suitable to my lifestyle which includes going down trails to do fishing and camping.

All of those cars were used and this is the first brand new vehicle I have ever bought.

I have a question if anyone could help. Something in the front end seems to be loose. I feel a slight jiggle when I go over mild bumps or taking turns. It appears to be coming from the left tire area. I'm not sure if it does the same thing on the right because I haven't ridden in the passenger side yet.

I noticed this immediately after I drove it off the lot. It's not the same Wrangler that I initially test drove and I don't remember if the one I test drove did the same thing or not.

The Jeep is under warranty but for me to take it to the shop to get it looked at is almost impossible because I work the nightshift. I'd actually have to request a day off in order to do so.

So what I'm asking from experienced Wrangler owners, is this kind of a normal thing? There's no play in the wheel or anything, just something feels loose when I hit slight bumps.

All help is appreciated.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
You should have deff test drove the exact one first, and just take a ride in the pass seat, but, I don't think it should be a big issue w

·
Registered
401 Posts
just drop it off on the way home from work and throw the keys in the key drop off slot. Taxi home is probably cheaper then a day off work.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
just drop it off on the way home from work and throw the keys in the key drop off slot. Taxi home is probably cheaper then a day off work.
or get a buddy to follow you over ... I have taken friends to pick up/drop off vehicles that were farther away than I really wanted to go, but what are friends for?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
or get a buddy to follow you over ... I have taken friends to pick up/drop off vehicles that were farther away than I really wanted to go, but what are friends for?
This. Or possibly your wife could take it............ :cool:

Welcome to the forum, and Jeeperdom! :) Don't forget to wave!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take it back to the dealer there is a recall on the lower steering box and control arms the bolts loosen up,a defect in production of the bolts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so, I took it to the dealership to have it looked at shortly after I made this thread. They told me that there's nothing wrong with it. I took it in once again in March to have the recall done and I was thinking the noise and looseness would be taken care of and nope, it wasn't.

I took it in yesterday and told them the same thing about the noise and how it's feeling loose. Sure enough, they called me back saying that the controller arm needed to be fixed.

I'm kind of steamed over this. My first brand new vehicle and there has to be something wrong with it from the get go. Not just that but they were telling me that it's a 4 wheel drive vehicle and I can't expect it to ride like a luxury car.

I'm a former soldier who was assigned a humvee, a deuce and a half and a 5 ton. All of them 4 wheel drive vehicles and none of them felt loose in the front end like this did.

Now I'll be able to enjoy my Jeep without this damn thing bothering me everytime I drive it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take it back to the dealer there is a recall on the lower steering box and control arms the bolts loosen up,a defect in production of the bolts
They didn't mention control arms and lower steering box for the recall. Just the axle bolts and the door latches. I actually took it back because of your post (thank you) and I looked up recalls on the internet and I didn't see anything about control arms and lower steering box. Maybe my search skills aren't up to par.

glad to hear you got it taken care of...sorry to hear it took so long
thank you. I've been driving since September knowing something was wrong, I'm not a mechanic but after owning about 8 used cars prior to this I couldn't be convinced that a new vehicle should drive like this.

I love this Jeep. Just took the hardtop off and put the soft one on and have been doing the wave like crazy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ericlee, welcome to the forum and I'm also pretty new around here myself. I also just picked up a 2011 Rubicon over the last week. I was going to wait for the 2012 but I got such a great deal and needed a vehicle, well the 2011 was a no brainer for me... This is my 3rd Jeep and I hope you have as much fun as I do with mine!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Glad to have a fellow VW convert on board.

You've purchased VWs in the past, and are surprised that a brand new, mass produced vehicle can have a minor problem or two coming off the line? Come on! You've had a CEL or plastic window clip break off in a past life, I just know it! :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Excellent shes fixed, now enjoy what you paid for....

May as well chime in been a dub freak my whole life also, luv the BAJA BUG

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
My first car was my parent's 69 super beetle. Wife got an 87 Jetta that I spent a lot of time in. Volkswagen is a great passenger car for the money....generally. This is my first jeep. Always wanted one. I've spent more on this vehicle after market than any other vehicle I've owned. I've had it now for three years. Hope you have as much fun in yours as I have been having in mine. Now that you have the kink worked out you should be on your way.

Welcome to Wrangler Forum. :wavey:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, I just got it back from the shop today and it still makes a rattling noise going over bumps.

I don't know what to think at the moment. Maybe this is how it's supposed to be.

I checked the labor report and all it says is that they have replaced a nut and a bolt on the control arm.

So what I will do is go to a different dealership, test drive a new Jeep and compare. If it's doing the same thing mine is doing then I will be convinced that this is how it rides.

Can anyone tell me if theirs makes a noise going over bumps?

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Mine makes a rattle noise over bumps. It comes from the driver's side door latch. This is a well documented issue. For mine, I may put some soft 5 minute epoxy on the latch loop to cure it. Some people put electrical tape on it. You could do that to see if it is what is causing the noise if you suspect the latch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mine makes a rattle noise over bumps. It comes from the driver's side door latch. This is a well documented issue. For mine, I may put some soft 5 minute epoxy on the latch loop to cure it. Some people put electrical tape on it. You could do that to see if it is what is causing the noise if you suspect the latch.
You know, they even mentioned that they were going to do the recall for the door latches but on the labor report it didn't show that they replaced them.

So, it does kind of make sense in a way but if that was the case, I wonder why they pinpointed the left front control arm as being the source of the noise.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
You know, they even mentioned that they were going to do the recall for the door latches but on the labor report it didn't show that they replaced them.

So, it does kind of make sense in a way but if that was the case, I wonder why they pinpointed the left front control arm as being the source of the noise.
They haven't been replacing them. Just adjusting them and/or putting some sort of lube on them.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts