Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2017 Granite Crystal JKU Sport. I have this rubber weather stripping around the outside of the doors that I haven't seen on any other JKs. It seems to make it hard to close the doors tight. Is this normal? Should I peel it off?

·
Registered
423 Posts
They are there so you don't hurt your door or another car if you open your door and hit them. If its rubbing on the Jeep I would remove them, it is dealer installed and they probably charged you hundreds of dollars!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jk doors are normally hard to close compared to other car doors... in my experience. I have u shape door edge guards and they dont contact the body and dont make it hard to close. Might just be a jeep thing. Maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
JK doors are hard to close. They do get easier with age, or maybe I learned to slam them.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yeah. I saw them originally too and now they're gone.

It's true that with the hardtop on the doors need extra force to close so make sure it's actually those edge guards that are causing an issue. I really don't expect them to, but definitely wouldn't want them touching the body in any way.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the responses. Like I said, I haven't seen them on any other JKs and I've been drooling over and researching them for a couple years now and finally got the finances together to make it happen. I didn't know if maybe the door trim is put on when it ships from the factory and the dealer was supposed to remove them before delivery or what. I don't mind how they look aesthetically so we'll see. I have a lot of work to do, this thing is in desperate need of wheels and tires for sure, and the stock sound system is putrid.

As far as posting pictures, did I do something wrong? I'm not very tech savvy so my apologies.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Just bought a 2017 Granite Crystal JKU Sport. I have this rubber weather stripping around the outside of the doors that I haven't seen on any other JKs. It seems to make it hard to close the doors tight. Is this normal? Should I peel it off?

Or take the doors off.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
1. No you did not do anything wrong. Photobucket has recently implemented a policy that if you don't pay the $400 a year fee (we call it ransom) you cannot share your photos to a third party forum. Mine are still up because once the policy went into effect, I have not uploaded or shared a photo and will not. I went with img.bb which is still free and works a lot like PB.

On a new JK/JKU if you simply press the door button without pulling on the handle you will find that the door will swing open about 6". That is normal on a new JK/JKU. Eventually the rubber seal will compress more and closing the doors will become easier. I went through this with my Sahara and just when it was getting broken in good I found the Chief. FCA may have thickened the seals a bit in recent years as well to reduce the leaks complaints. There were a lot with the 2014 and 2015 models, but I have not seen that many posts of late.

You don't need to slam the doors, as jeffashford says firm pressure (on the handle) when closing. Don't push on the metal, modern vehicles (Jeep included) have thinner metal these days.

For the sound system this may help:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/alpine/8-inch-compact-powered-subwoofer-system-11-17-jeep-unlimited-jk

If you want to go the full blown system, you can install this. Not quite up to the factory Alpine system, but very close:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/alpine/full-sound-system-upgrade-15-17-jeep-wrangler-unlimited-jk

Me, I'm trying to figure out how to put the first item in my TJ for which Alpine has no system.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that didn't pay the $400 ransom to photobucket to see pictures on forums.
I'm not paying the fee either. I would like to see the pics but I cant imagine my life being enriched that much. 🙄

1 - 14 of 14 Posts