Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 93 yj with the 2.5 and a five speed. after driving it home from georgia im already tired of the lack of power. Having just parked my trans am and went to get this, its a huge difference. there is a butt load of parts for sale a little ways away from home including a 4.0 motor and trans. how difficult would it be to drop that into mine? also the jeep is sitting on 31in tires. i also think it might be lifted a little bit. how do i tell for sure? and find out how high it is? thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also the serpintine belt screams for a little when started, i cant seem to find anything that puts more tension on the belt. where is the adjusment thing at?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Post pix and we can tell you if it's lifted. The engine swap shouldn't really be too hard I think, but I've never done one so someone else will have to chime in to help you there. I Drive a 4.0 on a regular basis and every now and then my dad's 2.5 TJ. There is a difference but you'll still lack some get up and go. It's a Jeep, they're designed to do anything...except go fast.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The mighty 2.5L is all torque not zip and speed and everytime they raise the suspension and add bigger tires without a regear you lose more of what little zip she has. The swap to a 4.0 can be done but involves welding new motor mounts, wire harness changes and computer. Take a look through the search for the 4.0 swap you will find tons of material to read. As far as what lift post the pics we love pics and you will get plenty of help there.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
A quick way to tell if it has a lift on it is with some measurements.

A stock YJ comes with 28" tires. You said you have 31" tires on it, so that is a plus 3".

Go get a ruler, and measure from the ground to the bottom of the body under the center of the driver's door. Stock measurement is 18" and add the 3" of tire would be 21". If it is taller than that, what ever the difference, is the amount of lift that you have on it.

As far as a 4.0 swap, it is actually easier to swap in a SBC 350 than to go with a 4.0. By the time you spend money on all the parts that you need to make the swap, you might as well have the horsepower to go with the swap. The best way to make a swap from a 2.5 to a 4.0, is to have a donor vehicle sitting there to get all the parts that you would need. Like if you could find a YJ that was wrecked and could get all the parts that you would need.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts

A stock YJ comes with 28" tires. You said you have 31" tires on it, so that is a plus 3".

Go get a ruler, and measure from the ground to the bottom of the body under the center of the driver's door. Stock measurement is 18" and add the 3" of tire would be 21". If it is taller than that, what ever the difference, is the amount of lift that you have on it.
Not quite. Remember that half of the tire height is above the hub. While a 31" tire is 3" taller than a 28" tire it will only add 1.75" of lift.

·
Registered
483 Posts

you need to divide the 3 in half

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mitchness said:
Not quite. Remember that half of the tire height is above the hub. While a 31" tire is 3" taller than a 28" tire it will only add 1.75" of lift.
Fuzzy math..... Half of 3" is 1.5".

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you park a Trans Am and jump into a jeep will always feel a differance. If you want power then go for the sbc. Either the sbc or the 4.0 you will need to upgrade the AX5. Look for a good donor vehicle.

·
Registered
507 Posts
overthehillsahara said:
If you park a Trans Am and jump into a jeep will always feel a differance. If you want power then go for the sbc. Either the sbc or the 4.0 you will need to upgrade the AX5. Look for a good donor vehicle.
True, and swapping in the SBC is no more cost or work than swapping in the 4.0. Decide what you want to do with the Jeep as far as lift and tires before making the call to engine swap. You either need deep pockets, or fab skill and equipment. Big tires (33" +) will mean swapping nearly the entire drive train, so you will certainly want to buy a donor vehicle instead of trying to piece it together, it would save $$ and headaches.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts