Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,728 Posts
Congrats and :welcome:

No. You shouldn’t be smelling gear oil. How many miles? Auto or manual?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Gear oil or motor oil? Why do you think it's gear oil?

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
I am going to assume you are familiar with the truly wretched stench of gear oil and it isnt something else.

There are breather tubes off the axle - drivers side front, passenger rear. See if the breathers maybe became detached, or like the other poster suggested it was just overfilled and is burping out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I'm very familiar with that stench. The smell went away quickly. I believe all the fluids were changed right before I purchased the jeep. Where's the best place to buy an owner's manual for the jeep? I want to know about the lockers and when to perform maintenance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has 100k and its an automatic. I just checked the coolant (level) and its purple in color. That is the correct mopar fluid correct? The heat works really well. I want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Fresh fluids in the diffs will have just a little off-gassing. Not only on jeeps but any vehicle. Seems to settle down after a few drives. The vent hoses for the diffs are pretty high up, front about battery height, rear about tail light height making any vapors even more discernible than a regular vehicle who's vents are basically 6 inches off the ground. Do a fluid change, a long drive, park in garage, and yeah, you may get a whiff. Put a few more drives on it and I bet it will basically sort itself out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts