Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By first oil change I mean the first ever I've done myself. I'm using this jeep as an excuse to get more DIY with my vehicles.

So after draining and adding a touch over 5.5 quarts I checked the dipstick and I was way over the safe line. I gave the old oil plenty of time drain as well. I ran it for about 30 seconds thinking maybe it had to cycle. Still way over. I released some oil and then added some back a little at a time until I was in the safe zone. I had 200ml left after all was said and done.

When I drained some of the new oil the oil was clean and new. But when I was adding back in the increments I kept checking the dipstick and the oil was dirty, not black old oil, but much closer to black than new oil. After I driving it for five minutes and checking again, the oil on the dipstick was new clean oil.

I'm confused as hell.

I'm in a 99 Sport 4.0l.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Did you change the filter too? With a new filter, your 4.0 should hold 6 quarts. Also, always run the motor a minute or two (and check for leaks) and then let it set for several minutes with the motor off before checking the level. Remove the stick, wipe it clean, re-insert and remove, and then check the level. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you change the filter too? With a new filter, your 4.0 should hold 6 quarts. Also, always run the motor a minute or two (and check for leaks) and then let it set for several minutes with the motor off before checking the level. Remove the stick, wipe it clean, re-insert and remove, and then check the level. Good luck with it.
Yeah. New filter put in too. I'll check it again now.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Were you parked on any sort of a slope? With a new filter mine takes exactly 6quarts. Did you get a really small filter or something?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Were you parked on any sort of a slope? With a new filter mine takes exactly 6quarts. Did you get a really small filter or something?
I was parked on a small slope, with the back end on the down grade, so it was a bit lower.

I forgot to mention I poured all the used oil (plus the little bit of new oil that I drained) into the empty 5qt oil container. There was maybe about 3qts that ended up coming out of the car. Is that normal? Considering it should take 6qts.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
I was parked on a small slope, with the back end on the down grade, so it was a bit lower.

I forgot to mention I poured all the used oil (plus the little bit of new oil that I drained) into the empty 5qt oil container. There was maybe about 3qts that ended up coming out of the car. Is that normal? Considering it should take 6qts.
Ideally it should be a closed system...same as your brakes or cooling system. Yes some oil is "burnt" but HOPEFULLY it is not enough to notice.....IMO you were down 2.5-3 quarts.
I compared it to the brake and cooling system...again the "same" principal. Closed systems should always be at same level/ not need to "add" any....if you do than there is an issue. For example a leaking head gasket or radiator hose or even radiator. I started with head gasket because it is usually not noticed.
The brake system will need more fluid as the Pads wear down, but most people end up replacing the pads before they add more fluid...and when that is done the new pads require the the fluid to be pushed back into the reservoir.

Sorry for the lengthy post just random info...bottom line if you are losing or low on fluid in your vehicle, it is not a good thing.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ideally it should be a closed system...same as your brakes or cooling system. Yes some oil is "burnt" but HOPEFULLY it is not enough to notice.....IMO you were down 2.5-3 quarts. I compared it to the brake and cooling system...again the "same" principal. Closed systems should always be at same level/ not need to "add" any....if you do than there is an issue. For example a leaking head gasket or radiator hose or even radiator. I started with head gasket because it is usually not noticed. The brake system will need more fluid as the Pads wear down, but most people end up replacing the pads before they add more fluid...and when that is done the new pads require the the fluid to be pushed back into the reservoir. Sorry for the lengthy post just random info...bottom line if you are losing or low on fluid in your vehicle, it is not a good thing.....
You lost me a little. So based on what you said I'll be checking my oil levels once every few days now, but if I find it dropping what's the best way to diagnose a leak?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
You lost me a little. So based on what you said I'll be checking my oil levels once every few days now, but if I find it dropping what's the best way to diagnose a leak?
Once every few days is not a bad idea on a new (to you) or any vehicle for that matter. But ASSUMING that after a week all is good, maybe go to once a week and than eventually once every two weeks or a month. I check when I do "fill-ups"...about every 175-200 miles.

And that is the basic under the hood fluids..axle and diffs different story.

As far as diagnosing leaks..it really isn't to hard...easiest way is to start with a clean Jeep....you COULD wash the under carriage and dry it than watch to see what shows up..but that is up to you.

Some of us are goofy enough we enjoy crawling around under our Jeeps just "lookin' ".............

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Some of us are goofy enough we enjoy crawling around under our Jeeps just "lookin' ".............
Some of us have been accused of spending waaaaay too much time under there, with nary a tool!
Not sure why, but after ample drain time (overnight) I put in 5 1/2 quarts which put me well past the full mark. Had to drain a bit out, consistently reads full now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Some of us have been accused of spending waaaaay too much time under there, with nary a tool!
I'm sooo glad I'm not the only one who does that! The only bad part was when my ponytail got caught in the wheels of the creeper...

As for oil leaks, I was told the oil pan on the I6 will just leak a little no matter what. I was also told I should change my valve cover gasket. When I got poking around the valve cover, I found that the back (towards the firewall) 4-6 bolts were loose - several turns loose! I haven't seen the "usual" oil drips on the garage floor since. (Earlier this spring I cleaned the old oil spots off the garage floor, and now scatter some kitty litter on that area of the floor.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
As far as leaks go there is LEAKS and there are seeps. Personally if my rig uses or leaks a quart of oil a month with daily driving I leave it alone. Anything above that spend the time and money to fix it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts