Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I have no new emergency, I just figured that this would be the correct place to post this in.

I bought my 98 TJ 4.0 5 Speed a little shy of two years ago. The mileage I bought it at was 105,xxx. Since then I've had to replace (NOT UPGRADE) oil pump, ENGINE, fuel pump, cap and rotor, battery, starter, some A/C tube, REAR DRUM BRAKES ASSEMBLIES (both sides), and my most recent problem was my rear diff (D35) decided to explode, which resulted in me just buying a used D35 assembly because I couldn't find any 44's in my gearing. plus the usual maintenance, which I dont care about, and on top of all that I'm only getting like 11 mpg's city/highway avg! I could've bought another whole Jeep for what I've spent in the past 2 years! I know that Jeeps are a little more finicky than other vehicles and tend to break more, but this is unreal! The only major parts in my Jeep not under warranty right now is my D30 and my transmission!!

So can anyone tell me why the @#%& my Jeep keeps breaking!

I only offroad occasionally and even that is only trails and sugar sand. And I keep up with all the scheduled maintenance.

Do I just have a lemon?!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I haven't gotten to that extent but my cost is getting there

Clutch
Radiator
Pulleys
Thermostat
Skid plate
Safety caps for frame
Exhaust
Gasket on top of the motor.
Pinion seals

Mind you, I just got this sucker in November.

Now it's looking like the bronze bushing off the transfer case is warn out cause I get a clunk under the drivers seat. Too cold to sit there and look. Might just get someone to do it for me.

2000 tj 144k miles. Not a cheap daily driver but when you love jeeps.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wouldn't say you got a lemon. You've gotta keep it in perspective. Its almost an 18 year old vehicle, and since you've only owned it for 2 of those years, you really don't know how the jeep was treated/driven by the previous owner(s) for the first 16 years. And seeing that you replaced the engine, I'll guess it probably wasn't treated great. On top of that, every car needs work. Battery, cap and rotor, starter, fuel pump- these are all parts you should almost expect to go out on you on a vehicle with 100,000. In my personal experience with my jeep, it's been cheaper to fix thing on my jeep relative to other vehicles I've owned, so long as I do the work myself. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
As apannone stated, it was probably not taken care of by PO. All you can do is treat it right and hopefully you will get it caught up to where it is reliable for you. I have a 98 as well and bought it with 103,00 miles on it. Fortunately , my PO was good to her.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
You own a 17 year old vehicle. These are the types of issues that are common with old automobiles.

All of these repairs with the exception of the engine install are simple and inexpensive and do not require a mechanic. Sounds like you are spending mountains of cash on labor.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hand on heart I do not experience what the OP has experienced. I love my Jeep, but would get rid of it in a heart beat rather than spend a mountain of cash and having it appraised at or less than the price I could have sold it without spending the money on repairs.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
The money I've spent on my 99 for repairs is less than a monthly payment. I have literally spent thousands more on upgrades, and fixing the PO's upgrades.

I can't say if you've gotten a lemon or not, but if you bought it used and without a warranty (I'd say this probably applies to most of us), then you've bought something that might have been abused, neglected or truly could've been a lemon. You'll probably never really know for sure.

If you like the vehicle, then you're better off spending the money to make it right, as opposed to buying new and having a car payment.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Properly maintained Jeeps hold up fine, and the 2.5L and 4.0L engines have a solid reputation if properly maintained. The problem is you don't know how well the previous owners maintained your Jeep, or what kind of damage/neglect/abuse it experienced while in the hands of other owners. Buying any used vehicle is always a crapshoot.

Other than blown catalytic converter system on my current TJ, a couple fuel pumps and a couple water pumps the past 19 years, my expenses have primarily been the result of stuff I've broken on the trail.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I always buy used Jeeps. And keep them forever. I spend about $1K year maintaining them. And I do very little myself.

If you bought a 15 year old Jeep which was not maintained the expenses you have had or pretty normal. The good thing is pretty soon you will end up with a very solid, reliable Jeep. Now you need to drive it for 10 years.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Jeeps aren't at all finicky, and they really don't break more than other vehicles...They are stupid tough and put up with a lot of abuse. The problem is that they get an abnormally large amount of abuse....and everything has a breaking point.

It sounds like yours has had a hard life, you're just the poor sap that bought it at the wrong time. Good news is you'll have run through most every potential point of failure soon.

Age + abuse + neglect = money pit.

Lemons break like this when new. Your Jeep probably put up with 15 yrs of neglect and abuse. More than a few of the things you've replaced are considered wear items...and thus...they must be replaced when they wear out.

If you're only getting 11mpg with a 5spd...I'm betting your lead foot might be part of the problem as well. (assuming you're not running 35's or something silly).

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jeeps aren't at all finicky, and they really don't break more than other vehicles...They are stupid tough and put up with a lot of abuse. The problem is that they get an abnormally large amount of abuse....and everything has a breaking point.

It sounds like yours has had a hard life, you're just the poor sap that bought it at the wrong time. Good news is you'll have run through most every potential point of failure soon.

Age + abuse + neglect = money pit.

Lemons break like this when new. Your Jeep probably put up with 15 yrs of neglect and abuse. More than a few of the things you've replaced are considered wear items...and thus...they must be replaced when they wear out.

If you're only getting 11mpg with a 5spd...I'm betting your lead foot might be part of the problem as well. (assuming you're not running 35's or something silly).
Thanks for all the replies guys! And I keep it under two grand on the tach, and it's stock on 31's except an aftermarket tube bumper which weighs a ton

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Buy a Toyota to go with your Jeep. That way it averages out.

You have an old(er), high(er) mileage vehicle that Chrysler built vehicle doing what they have always done, break down. I have spent more on my TJ that I have spent on all four of my Toyotas. The only vehicles that were higher maintenance was the Chevy Vega I once owned (adjusted for inflation ;) ) and the JK I owned before my TJ. Do not get me started there. At least the TJ is relatively easy to work on, sorta.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

Good news is you'll have run through most every potential point of failure soon.
This. I bought my jeep at 144k, up to 175k+ now with plenty of off road miles. Every single one in the salty northeast. I spent more than I like to count repairing all the wear items as they went out. To rehash what was said above, once you take care of it you have a bullet proof vehicle. I'd say my last hurdle is this frame repair and fixing an intake whistle and I'm back to 100% and then I can wait another 150k miles to pour money into it.

Think about it this way. What other vehicle can do what a jeep can and last this long?

This, too. I can get 13mpg around town with 33s w/ 4.0 and 4 speed auto.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sometimes I read the forum and get depressed. We've had our 2001 just about about 6 months now and it hasn't seen a trail or had the top down yet. I read all the posts about this and that being broken or worn out and wonder if I can afford to take it out on a trail. I just keep in mind that nobody buys a newspaper expecting good news... and I've yet to see someone post to the forum "Hey, my jeep is running good and nothing is broken at the moment!"

I sure hope we have at least 10k worth of trouble free miles, 'casue the wallet is empty and it would be a shame to leave a broken down but awesome vehicle parked in the driveway.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
It's a Jeep & for which many POs beat the absolute piss out of them. If you find yourself on the other side of said beating you'll be on the repair bus.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
and I've yet to see someone post to the forum "Hey, my jeep is running good and nothing is broken at the moment!"

Actually, hey, my Jeep is running good and nothing is broken at the moment:awesome: !

Knock on wood:)

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
Sometimes I read the forum and get depressed. We've had our 2001 just about about 6 months now and it hasn't seen a trail or had the top down yet. I read all the posts about this and that being broken or worn out and wonder if I can afford to take it out on a trail. I just keep in mind that nobody buys a newspaper expecting good news... and I've yet to see someone post to the forum "Hey, my jeep is running good and nothing is broken at the moment!"

I sure hope we have at least 10k worth of trouble free miles, 'casue the wallet is empty and it would be a shame to leave a broken down but awesome vehicle parked in the driveway.

Hey! My Jeep is running good and nothing is broken at the moment!

I bought mine in 2012 at 70,000 miles. The only thing I've had to replace is the PCM ($600) a brake caliper ($35) and a headlight ($15). I've done some other routine maintenance and added some new sliders, but sitting right at 105,000 miles and feeling pretty good about my Jeep.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I've yet to see someone post to the forum "Hey, my jeep is running good and nothing is broken at the moment!"
That's how most forums are. For enthusiasts to talk about furthering the platform and troubleshooting. If you don't have any problems or just want a stock ride, there's no reason to look up forums for most people.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
I can't say mine is running right now, it's down for a water pump at the moment. I can say that in the 3.5 years I've owned it, this is only the 3rd repair I've had to do to it. First was the Throttle Position sensor, next was the upstream O2 sensor and now the water pump.

I've done quite a few upgrades, and I've fixed some of the previously installed problems, but only 3 repairs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
It's a Jeep & for which many POs beat the absolute piss out of them. If you find yourself on the other side of said beating you'll be on the repair bus.
Agreed, I would say majority Jeep owners drive their Jeeps hard.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts