Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned 3 xj's all high mileage. the last one, a 2001 with a 4.0 locked up the motor on me. I decided to go with a cj or yj and landed a '89 yj for a reasonable price. it has the 4cyl that i'm told was recently rebuilt, 20, 30, 40k back, don't know. the yj has 192,000 on the clock.

being new to yj's what are some things I can expect with such high mileage and small engine???:wavey:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
did i ask an unfair question?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
welcome yj brotha. :wavey:

you can expect the same mileage from that engine, it will last forever. it is however a little disapointing on the street compared to the 4.0. i also am on my 3rd xj.

the main problem with that jeep will be the trans, the ax5 trans is just weak. part of it is the fluid though, change the trans fluid to something that is ok for brass synchros, 50w oil or synchromesh manual trans fluid.

post up some pics of the new beast :D

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
Welcome to the group.... ya' gotta give these guys some tie to wake up before questions are answered

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
when my yj was a daily driver, problems i had were cracked exhaust manifold, u joints, minor electrical stuff (high beam switch shorted out killing my headlights), broken water temp sensor, broken oil pressure sensor, radiator rot, faulty CAD, etc.

nothing you wouldnt expect on any high mileage vehicle. the 4 banger is wimpy on the highway, but it just keeps on going

i did manage to kill my ax5 and a few driveshafts wheeling, as well as the fuel pump, axle shaft ujoint, etc.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Son of a gun...WE FOUND NEMO! (ugh...that was bad)

Welcome! We like square headlights around here! Glad to have another YJ in the fold...and we definitely need pictures!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Son of a gun...WE FOUND NEMO! (ugh...that was bad)

Welcome! We like square headlights around here! Glad to have another YJ in the fold...and we definitely need pictures!
it's actually Cap'n Nemo, that's an old high school nick. the fish would have to come along and make a mess of things...:doh:

Thanks for all the welcomes. I've looked forward to the day to have a 'real' jeep. i like almost all jeeps, but the cj, yj are my favored, and the one in my avatar, that's from the army days...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet - that's an m151a2 in the avitar that I drove for about 8 months for a full bird colonel. I really took that baby on a lot of fire breaks on Ft Bragg, and impressed myself. The hummer was a good replacement, but it was too wide to nav dense woods like the old 38's and 151's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my new ride

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's a sweet M38. Especially like that tow bar. I've been looking all over the place for one that's priced even close to reasonable and finally gave up.

I'm working on a full resto of my M38A1 ('54). Rolling chassis is all done and so is the engine. Now I'm constantly searching for all the small things that Bubba1 & Bubba2 took off and didn't put back!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i don't know if that is after factory, i've known dealers to dress of the cars with lowers and decals after arrival. maybe some of the jeep dealers did the same. i think mine was done just to dress up the ole gal...

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Carefull....Just like any lady she doesn't like being called "ole" or "implications that's shed old. Hell look at the problems they're having with TJ's and JK's in the other threads......I'll take my YJ any day!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ooops sorry to the ladies.

did my first "repair" today. the left front driver seat bolt pulled through the floorboard. i replaced it with a new bolt and a large washer. just enough rust to give way to leaning back in the seat to get something out of my pocket.

also i've gotten a lot of compliments and waves. my son drives it to work and it has become a topic of discussion. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts