Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my oil changed at a reputable place. Got a couple miles down the road and oil can light came on but only while stopped. The place had closed so I couldn't go back. Checked dipstick and it's got plenty of oil. Ran thru the digital gauge and watching the oil pressure it looks like it's dipping down to 4/3/2 psi while stopped in drive. As soon as I rev or drive the psi goes up and light goes off. I don't have a baseline since I never watched how low the psi got while stopped. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
The 2014 have a special oil filter that is brand new to the 14 model. If the oil change place put a 2013 filter you need to get it changed now before any engine damage occurs.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
nothing is wrong, its on a timer. my 13 is at 36k and the light has been on since 3k.

·
Premium Member
7,469 Posts
nothing is wrong, its on a timer. my 13 is at 36k and the light has been on since 3k.
If it was the oil change notification light it wouldn't be on only when stopped, as he indicated.

Anyway, why didn't you reset yours? It's an easy procedure.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
If it was the oil change notification light it wouldn't be on only when stopped, as he indicated.

Anyway, why didn't you reset yours? It's an easy procedure.
lol I didnt read.:pc-ouch: thought this was the daily "oil change required" thread

yea they gave you the wrong filter. cant really blame them, mopar likes to make extremely minor changes after only 2 years.

you could just go to any auto parts store and pick up a WIX for a few bucks. our filters are on the top of the engine so it wont dump all of your oil out when you pull it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
lol I didnt read.:pc-ouch: thought this was the daily "oil change required" thread

yea they gave you the wrong filter. cant really blame them, mopar likes to make extremely minor changes after only 2 years.

you could just go to any auto parts store and pick up a WIX for a few bucks. our filters are on the top of the engine so it wont dump all of your oil out when you pull it.
Sorry but yes he should blame them. There's nothing subtle about the difference between the two filters. Anyone that would shove last years filter in the housing is obviously clueless.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sorry but yes he should blame them. There's nothing subtle about the difference between the two filters. Anyone that would shove last years filter in the housing is obviously clueless.
And that's from a 'reputable place'

Chek-chart has the correct filter information for 2014, not sure what that 'reputable place' uses but they need to update.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That's why I do it myself. Fact check online, double check it on auto zones records. Buy it and do my oil change. Those "ex 15 minute oil" places sketch me out

·
Registered
324 Posts
I let the dealership do my oil changes.......it's the same price as the "15 min places"

·
Registered
95 Posts
I change my own oil for two reasons: 1. I run full synthetic, and 2. My dealership takes forever to get work done...it's a two week wait for an appointment to get in, then they take a minimum of 2 days to get something done.

I love my Jeep, but I sure wish the dealership was as good as Toyota was.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Like was stated, they put in the wrong oil filter. Since they probably are not going to have the correct one on hand, on your way back stop by NAPA or your local dealer and pick one up. Tell them to redo the oil change, put in the correct filter, and refund your money.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Subscribed.
I find this interesting. I have a 13 with just over 15k mi. I do my own oil changes since I like synthetic and it only takes a few minutes. For me it's a great excuse to get underneath and inspect my components. You can find a lot of things starting to go wrong on a vehicle before it becomes an issue. I could do my change in about 10-15 minutes but I like to take my time and look around the under side. Not to mention drink a beer and hide in the garage a bit.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'd be a bit worried about the engine. I would recommend not driving it further. If it was me I'd do the following (at this point):

• Confirm it's the wrong filter, have a witness on hand that would be willing to testify if necessary. Best would be to tow it to a licensed shop and get a written statement from a mechanic.
  • Contact Chrysler. It's still under warranty, however you may need leverage with the oil change place and Chrysler may be able to provide that in some way. They may also just say 'no biggie', put in the correct one and you're good.. Either way you want that in writing!
  • If you don't have any luck with the above, contact an Attorney. Probably sounds like overkill but you need to protect yourself. Arguably this could be step 1
  • The oil change place needs to be informed of their mistake in writing, perhaps along with what Chrysler said.

The last thing you want is engine problems and then Chrysler claiming YOU put in the wrong filter. Get this situation properly documented at the least.

If I noticed low oil pressure, I would have just called the roadside assistance number. Let them know you just got the oil changed at 'derps are us quicklube' and let them deal with it. At this point it's probably too late for that plan, thus the above.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Subscribed. I find this interesting. I have a 13 with just over 15k mi. I do my own oil changes since I like synthetic and it only takes a few minutes. For me it's a great excuse to get underneath and inspect my components. You can find a lot of things starting to go wrong on a vehicle before it becomes an issue. I could do my change in about 10-15 minutes but I like to take my time and look around the under side. Not to mention drink a beer and hide in the garage a bit.
^^ this! Synthetic, inspect and drink beer!🍺

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I'd be a bit worried about the engine. I would recommend not driving it further. If it was me I'd do the following (at this point):

• Confirm it's the wrong filter, have a witness on hand that would be willing to testify if necessary. Best would be to tow it to a licensed shop and get a written statement from a mechanic.
  • Contact Chrysler. It's still under warranty, however you may need leverage with the oil change place and Chrysler may be able to provide that in some way. They may also just say 'no biggie', put in the correct one and you're good.. Either way you want that in writing!
  • If you don't have any luck with the above, contact an Attorney. Probably sounds like overkill but you need to protect yourself. Arguably this could be step 1
  • The oil change place needs to be informed of their mistake in writing, perhaps along with what Chrysler said.

The last thing you want is engine problems and then Chrysler claiming YOU put in the wrong filter. Get this situation properly documented at the least.

If I noticed low oil pressure, I would have just called the roadside assistance number. Let them know you just got the oil changed at 'derps are us quicklube' and let them deal with it. At this point it's probably too late for that plan, thus the above.
The last thing I would want is the Dealer/Chrysler knowing that the wrong oil filter was installed.
They could care less who did it. Now that the warranty is VOID they are not concerned who did but that it was done and they are no longer required to perform any future engine related warranty repairs.
DO NOT INFORM DEALER/CHRYSLER!
No guarantee that they will void the warranty, but do you want to chance it? Or have it documented in the Chrysler database that the wrong oil filter was installed?
Not me. Not on your life.
Everyone seems to think these automobile manf. have some integrity. They DO NOT! The moment they can reduce their financial liability they will do so.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The last thing I would want is the Dealer/Chrysler knowing that the wrong oil filter was installed.
They could care less who did it. Now that the warranty is VOID they are not concerned who did but that it was done and they are no longer required to perform any future engine related warranty repairs.
DO NOT INFORM DEALER/CHRYSLER!
No guarantee that they will void the warranty, but do you want to chance it? Or have it documented in the Chrysler database that the wrong oil filter was installed?
Not me. Not on your life.
Everyone seems to think these automobile manf. have some integrity. They DO NOT! The moment they can reduce their financial liability they will do so.
I agree.

I would get a new mopar filter yourself, pull the one they installed and compare. Once you know they put wrong one in call them and ask what they installed if its not on receipt.

Inform them they installed the wrong one and ask them how they are going to rectify it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
What's the difference in the 2 that would cause this?
I haven't seen any hard info on what could cause the low oil pressure using the old filter in the '14s. They changed the filter and the housing I believe, and some have said there is an anti-drain back valve on the new filters. This doesn't appear to be correct. I think they changed the housing too, since you can't use the '14 filters in the '13s. I'd be interested to know what is causing the low oil pressure when using the '13 filters in the new housing. Flow dynamics?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I was surprised how easy (and cheaper if you run full synthetic) it was to change oil on my JK. It's as easy as crawling under the Jeep and loosening the drain valve. I made a bit of a mess the first time because it was a windy day and got a bit of oil to the face but that's part of the fun of a Jeep for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts